Rsync for the layman... there's so much crap info out there

I just read the man page, normally I don’t bother with them, too obtuse, WAY TOO MUCH information…

But I found this tiny example (in the man page):

I mirror a directory between my "old" and "new" ftp sites with the command:

rsync -az -e ssh --delete ~ftp/pub/samba nimbus:"~ftp/pub/tridge"

I remember Solaris man pages ALWAYS had good examples of nearly every option at the bottom of each man page - but not so much with Linux man pages.

That looks to do everything I need… Keeping files isn’t a major problem, but I do want it to look as much like the source as possible - so I will delete.

What’s interesting about this man page, and when you look right at the bottom at the AUTHOR section, Andrew Tridgell (he’s Autralian, and not only wrote rsync, he also wrote Samba!) is one…

He’s either infamous, or famous…

He tried (semi-successfully) to reverse engineer the source control system (Bitkeeper) that Linus was using to manage the Linux kernel. The owner of that software, who let Linus use it for free, PULLED it and refused to let anyone use it in “retaliation” for Tridge reverse engineering it. Linus fired off a “pithy” email to Andrew Tridgell - and in a huff, he quickly started developing GIT.

If “Tridge” hadn’t transgressed, we might never had GIT! Thanks Tridge!

And I wonder if anyone’s still using Bitkeeper? If the copyright owner hadn’t kicked up a stink, and refused free use of his product, people might still be using it, Linus might still be using it!