Shutting down an app in android

Hi all, :wave:

Thanks for your new replies. :heart:

@daniel.m.tripp:

Ah. I really admire your script-writing skills, Dan. :+1:
You certainly put termux to good use.

Oh, that seems a bit unfortunate.

That´s a real shame. I gues we - as Linux users - ar not accustomed to those kinds of restrictions…

Well, thanks a lot, Dan, for the additional (and interesting) information.

@Akito:

I see. For that I guess I´d need one of the apps (those ones managing the charging process of the battery) you referred to in post #2 .
You already mentioned those ones were for rooted phones. :slightly_frowning_face:

And indeed " Advanced Charging Controller" says on the f-droid site:

The app requires root to read and write charging control files.

I also took a look at the other one. On its f-droid site " Battery Charge Limit" doesn´t mention root at all …
… but there is a link to “Q/A for hints”. Looking that up I found:

This app requires a rooted mobile (Android 4.0 or later)

O.K. That´s it then. I guess I can´t have a charging-managing app on a non-rooted device after all. :slightly_frowning_face:

As far as the firewall app is concerned: Thanks for recommending Blokada.
I looked it up following the links you kindly provided

Blokada 5, the free ad blocker

looks good, I think.
They also have a forum (Topics tagged getting-started ) which I think is great. :blush:

I guess for installation I´d have to go to Blokada - the popular mobile adblocker and VPN for Android and iOS and get “BLOKADA 5 .APK”.
I´ll look into it. :+1:

Thanks a lot to @daniel.m.tripp and @Akito . :heart:

Many greetings from Rosika :slightly_smiling_face:

It seems to me like this app has several features. I personally use AFWall+ (as already mentioned) for Firewall purposes and AdAway for global ad blocking.

So, with Blokada, I mainly recommended the firewall feature of it, rather than the other features it offers. I’m not sure, if they are that great, because there were some concerns raised regarding their usefulness.

I don’t use Blokada, so cannot be too sure of how to set it up & how it works. I just read, it should offer a firewall feature for non-rooted phones by “faking” a firewall, through making the phone be connected to a VPN all the time.

Just noticed, AdAway works on non-rooted devices the same way.

Using non-rooted device, the application use the VPN feature to block outgoing connections to ads and trackers.

Either way: on a non-rooted device you need a VPN based solution, as far as I know.

P.S.:

In this case “VPN” usually does only mean, it connects to a local one, rather than a remote one.

1 Like

Hi @Akito, :wave:

thanks for your new reply.

I think AdAway is well-suited for me and my non-rooted device. I may very well install it. :blush:
As far as Blokada is concerned I´ll think about it but AdAway is what I´ll install first.

Thanks for the explanation. I stumbled over this expression quite a few times and was wondering about a “real” VPN service…

As far as the topic of charging is concerned I was thinking the following:

What about the app Automation from the f-droid store… ?

In the description it says:

Automate stuff on your device by creating rules. […]
Create rules that are made of triggers and actions. A prominent example would be something like “Mute phone at work”.

The following scenario came to mind:

I am charging the phone. During that action the app could keep track of the charging state
and then play a sound when a certain level is reached.

It says:

Supported triggers:
[…]
Charging state
[…]

Supported actions:
[…]
Play sound file
[…]

This way I´d be notified by a sound when e.g. 60% is reached (when charging). :thinking:
I´d still have to disconnect the charger manualy but it´s better than nothing.

But perhaps haven´t understood it correctly…
It was hust a thought…

Many greetings from Rosika :slightly_smiling_face:

Just realised it’s possible to “side load” (what a ridiculous term - its now some kinda nefarious euphemism for “install software”) fdroid without rooting…

Gonna try it - but - I don’t want to screw up what I’ve setup so far in TermUX on stock Android 10…

Just installed fdroid - but - I’m wary about using their version of TermUX…

To my knowledge, this was always possible. I cannot say for sure, whether it was always the case since Android 1.0, but I am sure, that it’s possible, at least since Marshmallow or whatever Android 5 was called.

You only need root functionality with F-Droid, if you want F-Droid to automatically install updates. If you are fine with installing them manually, one by one, you didn’t ever need any root permissions.

By adding F-Droid, you can only screw it down, because if you have an Android phone without F-Droid, your device couldn’t be more screwed up.

The versions are maintained by whoever maintains the projects. So, if TermUX on F-Droid is maintained by TermUX maintainers, then they should be “correct” as in the original maintainers should usually know best.

However, if you have a non-F-Droid version installed, you cannot install the F-Droid version over it, due to how Android APKs work. All F-Droid APKs are signed with the F-Droid team’s key. You may not mix releases from outside F-Droid with releases from within F-Droid.

Still, do not worry, if you do not attempt to manually force the F-Droid version of TermUX onto your custom version, then nothing will happen.
It’s worse when Google Play sees an app fron F-Droid. Google Play may mess up a lot.
Which is why I have disabled Google Play automatic updates since I can remember using Android. Don’t like Google Play constantly updating apps in the background and then wondering, when suddenly one day an app stops working or changed completely, without warning me beforehand.

2 Likes

Hi @Akito, :wave:

that´s really some ineteresting background information about f-droid / APKs. Thanks a lot
for sharing. :heart:

As far as the Automation app from the f-droid store is concerned I think I´ll have to just try it for my purposes.
If it´s true what they say it can be used for monitoring the battery level and then trigger some pre-defined action.
What I don´t know though is whether this app will monitor the battery level even while the phone is charging:thinking:

I guess I´ll have to try it out.

Many greetings
Rosika :slightly_smiling_face:

P.S.:

I´ve just installed Automation and set up a rule for charging. To experiment with it I set a charging mark for 80% (I can change that later) and as a trigger a pre-defined text will be played.
Will try it tomorrow.

The one thing I don´t know is whether the app is working when the phone is completely switched off. :thinking:

… otherwise I guess I´d have to leave the phone at least in “standby mode” when charging.

This leads me to an additional question:

When charging how do you do it? is your smartphone

• completely switchend off
  • in standby mode
  • or even running :question:

Many thanks and many greetings

1 Like

We leave ours running. There may be phone calls. It is first and foremost a phone. The computer bit is secondary.

1 Like

I just plug in my Motorola in the evening and unplug it in the morning. Then I use it for calls, messages, to listen to books in the car, to keep score and estimate yardage on the golf course (GPS is nice!), and operate YouTubeTV as a remote. I keep track of my blood glucose with my phone. I restart it sometimes when I think of it. It’s just a phone.

2 Likes

Hi all, :wave:

thanks for your replies.

@nevj:

You´re certainly right, Neville. The phone functionality is very important. :+1:

For testing purposes as far as as the Automation app is concerned I also had it on, i.e. it was in standby so to speak.
The app was running of course.

And: it really worked well. :+1:

As it was my first exiperiment I set the trigger to “if charge is over 80%” (cannot recall the exact phrasing) and as soon as the condition was met the predefined action (playing a text message as a sound file) was carried out.

Next time when charging I´ll try it with the phone switched off but I doubt it´ll work this way…

Anyway, Automation can be put to good use and it certainly has a lot of other use cases as well… :blush:

@berninghausen:

Thanks, Bill, to you, too.

You seem to use your smartphone a lot during the day. That´s really great.
Being a newcomer to all that stuff I´m still amazed to see what these little boxes are capable of. :blush:

Many thanks to both of you and many greetings.

2 Likes

DOH!

A curse on Samsung - steaming pile of garbage that “KNOX” is…

So - I “sideloaded” F-Droid app store…

Went looking for TermUx - it told me I had it installed already and I had to remove it… Doh! So I thought - “what the hey” and used the tried and true (not strictly “true” it’s usually quite crooked or awry) approach of “suck it and see”…

So after removing Termux and some other related “things” (that I paid for) - I then went back to F-Droid and tried installing TermUX and FFS! WTF? (lot’s more expletives!) - SamDUNG won’t let me? WTF? It’s my EFFING handset I paid CASH for! How dare you!

So - I go back to Google lousy app store and install it - and ALL my stuff’s gone, and worse still - it wants me to pay $$$ AGAIN for the addons that I previously paid for…

My config’s down the toilet and I really can’t be arsed setting it all up again… Might look at alternatives - I like having a shell on my phone, and ability to run bash scripts… and especially being able to SSH to my phone!

2 Likes

Does it mean, you did this?

Yes, the configurations, etc. are wiped. Still, as far as I know, the subscription or payment information is linked to your Google account, so it doesn’t matter if your phone is missing the information.

Many Android app developers circumvent problems with payments like that, by offering an exclusive app, which “holds the key” to the subscription. So, if you ever screw up something with it, you just re-install that “key” app and you are good to go.

Such apps are often called something along the lines of “Unlock App for AppName”.

Your life would’ve been easier, if you just backed up all configuration & data.

Easy.

Okay, I just noticed it requires root permissions.

Okay, seems like we won’t get around needing root permissions for this type of backup.

Well made apps have extensive backup mechanisms, though.

I just researched on what Backup strategy TermUX has to offer. I came across this.

https://wiki.termux.com/wiki/Backing_up_Termux

Additional information is located here.

1 Like

spent most of the morning getting it (TermUX on Android 10 crippled by Samsung Knox, from the Google Play Store) working… got so convoluted, not sure exactly what I did…

Had to disable the dead repos, and then do some tweaking with $PREFIX/etc/apt/sources.list.d/ (I moved both files elsewhere…

then ran “termux-change-repo” and that worked a lot better…

I’ve not got it running SSHD again and I an ssh to it (my phone) and get my TermUX shell…

Was gonna look at Termius - but $10 a month (actually $120 pa) if you want the pro version (e.g. cloud sync using THEIR cloud!) - that’s a bit steep for something I’ve got already (e.g. I have terminal apps on MacOS, Linux and Android, and even iPad) - why would I pay???

1 Like