Simple and easy way to make an ISO boot disk In Windows 7 may also work with other versions

Okay I know this works, because I have done it for another project of that I am working on, otherwise I wouldn’t be posting it and I did this just yesterday. I state above it does work on Windows 7 for sure and I believe as it does it may well work for later versions.

1: Download your ISO and place it on the desktop as it is easy to get to there.

2: place a blank CD/DVD into the CD?DVD drive.

3: Go back to the desktop and RIGHT click on the ISO image there. This will bring up a box asking what you want to do.

4: Select burn an ISO image making sure that also select the drive (which will probably be D or some other letter where your drive is stored) and select burn. There is a button the left hand side that says verify after burn and tick that.

5: Let the burn complete and it will now show the disk as having the ISO image title on it. The verify box will be clearer to see and the disk will be ejected.

6: To be 100% certain that it has done it completely, replace the disk in the drive and when it starts a box will pop up asking you what you want to do with it. If you select open to view files you will then have another box which will show the whole image has been created.

Your disk is now ready to use.

I am not sure about later versions of Windows, that is Windows 8, 8.1, or 10 as I have not done it on them. Likewise I am not sure if they have the option to make a USB into an image, if they do then you can do it the same way, just select that rather than USB.

This took all of 5 minutes to complete after the downloading of the image.

So there you don’t need another burner just use the one supplied by Windows. I did this when I first came across to Linux, but couldn’t find my notes from then so I did again on my testing laptop and made sure I kept a copy of the notes this time.

Just an update on this I have tried it on Windows 10 Home Edition and it just gives the choice of DVD to write to not a USB other 10 versions might be different.

2 Likes