Small frustrating problem

Thanks again for all the suggestions.
I am going to close this problem.
Image Viewer works fine by itself and if I right click on the jpg, Image Viewer is what is called.
Plus I have no problem with other jpg, just the ones on the memory stick.

2 Likes

If you get the those images using Windows from the stick: do they work with the image viewer? If you copy the contents of the stick in Linux: do these files work in Windows?
I see you marked as solved, but I don’t feel the culprit is identified for sure.

2 Likes

Image Viewer has no problem displaying the images.
The funny thing is if I right click on the jpg it shows that Image Viewer is the program to be called.
Windows has no problem viewing the jpgs.
My laptop with the same Linux has no problems viewing the images.

When I try to view the jpg on the desktop the cursor spins for a few seconds and that’s it.
So, no the problem is not solved, but I don’t have the knowledge to solve it. Plus, the work around works and I was able to get the pics off of the Sony Memory stick.

@easyt50
I have two old desktop PC’s that have different types of reading ports available, if it wasn’t
for the front usb ports I would disconnect them. My point is, are you sure you have a drive
letter, or a /dev/xxx to show it is mounted or working.

It sure looked like I had it connected. BTW, I’m 73.

Here is what I got with -f on sdc1.
easyt@Pro600:~$ sudo fsck -f /dev/sdc1
fsck from util-linux 2.37.2
fsck.fat 4.2 (2021-01-31)
/dev/sdc1: 218 files, 7350/14982 clusters

We are all getting old!!! I had an issue with some png files awhile back, only too find that
the files were not .png, Windows will put the .jpg but Linux sometimes will not. I am out
of ideas.

I still say there is some software missing on that desktop.
Will you try this
dpkg - l | grep jpeg
first on the desktop and then on the laptop that works. Compare them.

Then try again with
dpkg -l | grep fat
on both machines and compare them.

Are there any differences?

We can solve this
Regards
Neville

I get this in MX

nevj@trinity:~
$ dpkg -l | grep jpeg
ii  libjpeg62-turbo:amd64                    1:2.0.6-4                                  amd64        libjpeg-turbo JPEG runtime library
ii  libmjpegutils-2.1-0:amd64                1:2.1.0+debian-6                           amd64        MJPEG capture/editing/replay and MPEG encoding toolset (library)
$ dpkg -l | grep fat
ii  exfatprogs                               1.1.3-1~mx21                               amd64        tools to create, check and label exFAT filesystems
ii  libstrictures-perl                       2.000006-1                                 all          Perl module to turn on strict and make all warnings fatal

Also try this

$ jpeginfo -c cotswold.jpg
cotswold.jpg  750 x 1000 24bit Exif  N  176966  [OK]

jpeginfo is in the Debian repository.

1 Like

Ok Neville, I am willing to take this as far as you want on this. It will be a very good learning experience for me. On the mainframe, I knew what logs to look at, how to trace a program, and if needed how to call IBM support center. With Linux, I know very little of how the system operates. Funny, but I am also have a problem with program Calculator. But I will save that for later.
I almost feel like re-installing Linux b/c now I have 2 problems.

From your request, both jpeg and fat looks the same. I also looked at Nemo. It was different. Desktop at 5.6.4 and Laptop at 5.6.3.
ii gir1.2-nemo-3.0 5.6.4+vera
ii gir1.2-nemo-3.0 5.6.3+vera

Just for fun, it would be nice to downgrade Nemo on the desktop to see if that made a different. But, I don’t how to do that.
To try to learn about all the Linux’s logs, I have been do a little reading and also d/l’ed a program called Logwatch.

1 Like

OK my hunch was wrong there.

ii gir1.2-nemo-3.0 5.6.4+vera
ii gir1.2-nemo-3.0 5.6.3+vera

Just for fun, it would be nice to downgrade Nemo on the desktop to see if that made a different. But, I don’t how to do that.

I dont know how to downgrade either.
Maybe someone else can show us how to use apt to downgrade a package?.. or I can look it up
Can that nemo see other jpg files?

Reinstall is a last resort. it is definitely a software issue, you have proved that.

1 Like

I looked it up

It would seem you dont have to delete the current version, just install the older one

And beware, if you upgrade, it will put the newest version back, unless you ‘hold’ the package.

BUT
This says you should remove the current package first

I think I would remove first

2 Likes

The bad news;
Well Neville, I f*** if up royally trying to down grade Nemo.
PC would not even boot back to Mint.
My backup was over 2 months old. Usually I backup root monthly.
I did not know, nor did I try, to run Timeshift from a live USB.

The good news;
Clonezilla works like a champ.
My jpg will now display form the Memory stick.
Nemo is at to 5.6.1 vs 5.6.4 with the restore.
And Calculator works fine too.

So now I don’t know whether to allow Nemo to be updated or not.
Maybe I will let it get updated, test my jpg viewing and run Timeshift to back out the update if the error occurs again.

Thanks for your help.

2 Likes

You will have to update eventually, so why not face the music now.
Looks like Nemo may have a bug in the latest version. You might have to skip that version.
The package system will skip it if you wait until yet another version is available

Watch out when you update the other PC

Well done Howard
Neville

2 Likes
3 Likes