Thunar USB automount write permissions

Hello everyone! I’m quite stuck with this one.

I help manage a small fleet of thinkpads with Xubuntu 16.04 that are used for giving workshops.
When a user attaches a USB key, I need Thunar to automount the USB with read and write permissions for that user (non-root). Presently, it is automounting as read only.
Basically, I need the participants of our workshops to be able to plug their USB key and “drag and drop” files from a local folder into their USB key.

I feel like this post on superuser has some good hints but it does not works for my applications because the user’s USB key is different at each workshop.

Thank you!

1 Like

full disclosure: i didn’t read through all of the responses to see if there was a clean solution. i just happened to stumble on this thread when i was searching for something else and it reminded me of your post :slight_smile:

https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/thunar-mounts-usb-as-read-only-4175639279/

Thanks a lot @01101111!
Unfortunately there were no fixes suggested but I appreciate you sending it my way.
Let me know if you see anything else.

Regards,

1 Like

The solution for my user-case was to change the side panel to tree-view
In the Thunar window go to View → Side Pane → Tree window or press CTRL + E to switch the side panel to Tree View, then drag your files to the usb key.

You can see the description in AskUbuntu. Thanks to mook765 for the suggestion.

1 Like