Thunderbird - New Message Icon

Just came back to tell you that you probably won’t need it.
This addon was one of my favourites, and it just broke few days ago.
But because of cosmetical things I had to disable Thunderbirds builtin notification.
Now that this addon dos not work anymore, I removed it, and gave a chance and reenabled the builtin notification window.
And it’s working!
Thunderbird 68.2.2 shows me native notifications upon new mails, this happens on Debian Buster u2.
Now I miss only the “classic” look of TB, which I achieved via “customize my bird” addon…
Maybe I’ll look for some replacement if I’ll have the time for it…

This is how it looks:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lePCnlDAwVYipkW1mhPGXvehPWv2OPCg/view?usp=sharing

2 Likes

@kovacslt,
thanks for the reply
I have TB v60.9.0 and Linux Mint 19.2 doesn’t have any update for this program
I know TB actual version is v68.2.2
I don’t need to wait until LM updates the package?
Can I install TB v68.2.2?

1 Like

I think on that version the notify addon should work.
Not sure, though…

2 Likes

I have notification windows working correctly
What I don’t have is the “Envelope Icon” near the clock for new messages

Ah, I completely misunderstood…
Sorry :frowning: that’s my horrible english…

Maybe something like this

is what you are looking for?

1 Like

i did this the other day in response to this thread. as it stood at the end of that process, thunderbird 68.2.2 was a standalone program that had to be run from executable and wouldn’t get updates (for the program. obviously it would get mail updates). i think i recall reading how such programs can be integrated into the system, but have never done so.

1 Like

@kovacslt,
I change to WIN10 en took a printsreen:
TB

This is the thunderbird’s icon for new email and I don’t have it in Linux

1 Like

Thanks for the info, Cord
When I swithed to WIN10, to capture the srcreen, the TB for WIN updates to 60.9.1.
Only in LM stills in 60.9.0

1 Like

Thanks, @kovacslt,
I’ll test birdtray too

@Tech_JA
OK, I see.
Birdtray gives similar function. It’s in the Buster repo. I’ll look for it in Mint, probably it’s there too:
sudo apt install birdtray

Then selectin Bidtray select your INBOX.msf.

For me it’s now flashing: Bird icon 0,5 sec, unread counter 0,5 sec…

1 Like

bodhi/ubuntu is still at 60.9.0 as well. i just meant you could use 68.2.2 from a download/executable if you wanted to try it.

1 Like

here is a fairly recent article about installing birdtray in ubuntu/mint through a ppa and here is the ppa which lists a bionic version.

1 Like

Thanks @kovacslt and Cord,
I already installed and test it.
BirdTray works very well with TB and don’t need to give google credentials to work: It only needs the TB’s database to look for new messages

This is want I really I was looking for but I’ll test Mailnag once again because I found something and maybe I can get it working…
I’ll get the feedback

1 Like

out of curiosity, did you use the ppa or build from source?

1 Like

Cord,
I used ppa from the link you gave me to install BirdTray

About Mailnag:
I installed it again but I only got notification windows

@wadesmartm,
Thanks again for the tip to use Mailnag.
Maybe I could do something wrong but I can have the icon for new messages with Mailnag

Thank you all for the support you gave me

1 Like

In Ubuntu, in the sidebar dock, if you add Thunderbird icon as " favourite ", you will get a red notification badge with unread mail count on the icon. Will try to get you a screenshot of that. But looks like you have your solution already.

2 Likes

Hi @meetdilip,
Thanks for reply
I have TB icon in panel but I don’t get the red notification badge
Are you running Ubuntu with MATE DE?

1 Like

Default Ubuntu 18.04 ( Gnome 3.28 )

Notification bubble is working for me from the beginning.

1 Like

Thanks, @meetdilip
I don’t have knowledge about this and what I’ll write could be wrong.
I think you are using gnome shell which is for gnome 3 and could be a feature of gnome3/gnome shell.
I use MATE DE which is gnome 2,
Maybe this is the reason I don’t have the red notification badge on my TB icon, but sincerely I really don’t know why. This is just a thought of mine

2 Likes

About Birtray

I added Birdtray to the Startup Applications to start automatically when I run LM but I got this error:
BT_Error

To correct this error I needed to add a 5 seconds delay:
TB_delay

In my case, this delay solved the problem and now, the Birdtray starts running automatically when I log in

2 Likes