Trouble with CUPS

@nevj Maybe you could try Timeshift and go back a month or so? I don’t know…

1 Like

I started. Tried to delete the mfc210c printer using the cups browser screen. It brings up the authorisation popup, asks for nevj’s name and password, then just repeats the popup and will not proceed.

So the authorization in cups is a mess. It allows testprint but not delete.

I think delete everything is the only way forward. I know that will work…apart from Devuan in the same machine, I also have another Debian 11 in a different machine, and both those work with the same two printers without a hitch.

1 Like

I never thought a printer is capable of doing something like that. You can thank to Brother. What you’ve got there isn’t any better then having a virus. That damn company infected your complete printing system. If I were you, I would send customer service a “beautiful thank you note”.

Maybe. I cant prove it

read your problems and stumbled yesterday on similar problems.
printer Canon all-in-one deskjet, O.S. Ubuntu 22.10. just accepted the print jobs but never printing.
So I deleted all print jobs in the system.
Deleted all installed printers
Gave a print job again and it printed normally.
Apparently my system had installed a driver that works with my printer.
not touching anything anymore and happy printing my stuff!

So far I have purged and reinstalled all of CUPS including manually emptying the /etc/cups directory and killing the daemon. . That fixed the authority issues, but a test print to my Brother printer still goes to the queue and then is lost.
So next step is to purge and reinstall the Brother driver packages. They come as .deb files (not as apt packages) so I have to remove and reinstall them with dpkg.

Glad your issue is resolved
Regards
Neville

Last desperate step… purge and reinstall the Brother drivers

dpkg -P --force-all mfc210clpr
dpkg -P --force-all cupswrapperMFC210C

dpkg -i --force-all mfc210clpr-1.0.2-1.i386.deb
dpkg -i --force-all cupswrapperMFC210C-1.0.2-3.i386.deb

Warning at last step
lpadmin: Printer drivers are deprecated and will stop working in a future version of CUPS.

dpkg -l | grep Brother
ii  brscan2                               0.2.5-1                          amd64        Brother Scanner Driver
ii  cupswrappermfc210c:i386               1.0.2-3                          i386         Brother MFC210C CUPS wrapper driver
ii  mfc210clpr:i386                       1.0.2-1                          i386         Brother lpr Inkjet Printer Definitions

So the packages are installed

cp /usr/lib/cups/filter/brlpdwrapperMFC210C /usr/lib64/cups/filter/brlpdwrapperMFC210C
cp /usr/lib/libbr* /usr/lib32/
Fixes up a few 32 bit issues.

Now I go into localhost:631 and delete and remake the printer

Brother
Brother (Idle, Accepting Jobs, Not Shared)
Description:	Brother MFC210C driver for MFC640CW
Driver:	Brother MFC-210C CUPS v1.1 (color)
Connection:	lpd://192.168.32.98/binary_p1
Defaults:	job-sheets=none, none media=iso_a4_210x297mm sides=one-sided

Print a test page… and… after a long delay ??? it prints.
Success
but
The command lpq does not work.

It turns out that is another whole topic, so I am going to start a new topic on lpq with CUPS.

Thanks to everyone who put in suggestions.
This topic is closed
Now might be a good time for a backup

Regards
Neville