Unable to save subtitles in VLC

I get this error whenever I try to download subtitles in 18.04 Ubuntu using VLC 3.0.7

Is it some permission related to folders ? I tried assigning chmod 777 and 755, didn’t work.

1 Like

I don’t know if this will work, Dillip - it might be worth a try

1 Like

My question is different. I want to auto download subtitles. Thanks.

1 Like

That’s okay, I thought it might contain the answer. When you get it will you let the community know how you did. Thanks

1 Like

Nobody knows ? It worked for me when I tried in dual boot Windows 10.

PS : Want to do the same in 18.04 Ubuntu

1 Like

i got the same error, but clicking on the link opened my browser and gave me the option to download the subtitle file from the source url.

1 Like

p.s. i didn’t know vlc could fetch subtitles. nice to know :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That is how I manage now. In Windows 10, it is as easy as selecting the subtitle. It gets downloaded on the same folder with a compatible name and get added to video automatically. Used to work the same in Ubuntu as well. Not sure what messed it up.

2 Likes

it is a bit of a workaround, but at least it works. i might try it in mint later to see if that behaves any better.

2 Likes

Any update ? Never thought this would be a challenging question. :frowning:

1 Like

it did work in mint 18.3. downloaded the srt file and dropped it in the same directory as the video. the vlc about section says it is version 2.2.2 though. maybe because 18.3 is based on xenial? not sure. i know that doesn’t fix your setup, but it does work in an ubuntu-based system.

2 Likes

the discrepancy piqued my interest so i decided to try in ubuntu mate 18.04.2 with vlc 3.0.8 and saw this line pop up in my syslog:

[00007f2cd4413020] lua generic error: [VLsub] Unsupported VLC version

2 Likes

finally found this after remembering seeing the github page in a search earlier. i am just about to head to bed so i don’t have time to verify.

mkdir ~/.cache/vlc seems to have worked for most folks. some had to delete an existing vlc folder in the ~/.cache directory, recreate it with mkdir and then restart vlc.

mkdir ~/snap/vlc/common/.cache/vlc in case you are using the snap.

3 Likes

Works fine for me. I use the snap version.

2 Likes

worked for me too :slight_smile: out of curiosity, did you have the directory and have to delete it or not have it? my system didn’t have it.

2 Likes

I tried the command to see what happens. Luckily, it worked. That’s all I know :slight_smile:

2 Likes

fair enough! if it works, it works. thanks for letting me know and serious thanks for sharing that vlc can fetch subtitles. that’s very helpful :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You are welcome :slight_smile:

It work for me after creating the vlc directory… mkdir ~/.cache/vlc
Thanks

2 Likes