Upgrade to Ubuntu 18 will not boot [ Not Solved ]

Thank cordx. Ubuntu 16 will be okay for while then.

Am curious. Have you any thoughts or criticisms of the “Tails OS” ?
I was just reading about it online.

like you, i have only done some online reading about tails. i like what i have read so far. it is purported to be very security- and privacy-focused. from what i understood in my limited reading, it is designed to be run in a live environment from a usb. i just went to their page to check and that is their stated intention (in the quote and link below). i don’t think that means it can’t be installed to a laptop or desktop. just last week or so someone posted a link to a computer store in a different country that pre-loads laptops with all manner of different linux distros and tails was on that list.

Tails is a live operating system that you can start on almost any computer from a USB stick or a DVD.

https://tails.boum.org/

i had never really noticed before, but live is even in their name acronym. tails = the amnesiac incognito live system :slight_smile:

I think I might try installing “Tails” tomorrow. Am thinking I can install it right over Ubuntu.

are you thinking about using tails because of the privacy and security aspect (if you don’t mind my asking), or are you just wanting to replace ubuntu?

It is assumingly the best known Privacy OS, but I don’t think it is the best. It always depends on the use case, too, though.

Should be clear before further advice.

The privacy and security seems like a good idea. Replacing Ubuntu isn’t really necessary I guess, at least until 2021. I mainly use Ubuntu now just to pay bills online or online orders. I’m only doing that because somehow I got the idea that Windows was always being hacked and Ubuntu was safer in that regard. But I really do not know if that’s true or where I got that idea from. So yes I like the idea of added security if it’s actually true.

i like the idea of added privacy and security as well. i have tried the tor browser and some android apps to use the tor network (as tails does) in the past for that very reason. i feel fairly safe and secure with the version of ubuntu i use as well. recently @Akito introduced me to a password manager called keepass2 which helps me feel like i am doing better with password management than i was in the past. i think there are different steps we all can take to help ourselves be more secure. one of these days i will probably put tails on a usb to try it out and see what it looks like as well as how well it does on my computer :slight_smile:

@Jimany @cordx A couple of years ago I tried out Subgraph OS which was theoretically much superior to Tails, but the homepage currently says it is still in Alpha and I don’t see much changes there since then, unfortunately. Would like to see it developed further to at least get it out of Alpha. If Subgraph OS would have a stable build, then I think it would be one of the best privacy operating systems out there.

subgraph certainly looks interesting, but i’m not sure that it bodes well that they haven’t put out any more releases since late in '17. they did send out a few tweets late last year so maybe there is still reason to hold out hope.

i was going to counter with tinfoil hat (mostly just because i like the name), but it looks like they have been in hibernation even longer.