Upgrading the server today [Completed]

I am upgrading the server from Ubuntu 16.04 to later versions. Forum will be down for some time.

Thanks for understanding.

1 Like

Upgrade to Ubuntu 18.04 completed. Enjoy :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just wondering: Why 18.04 and not 20.04?

I assume it’s safer to not skip any major version. Additionally, it perhaps for this server use-case does not make much of a difference either way, so it could just be easier or more convenient to upgrade to the next major version.

2 Likes

well, I guess, the boss knows what he’s doing.

The server was using 16.04. The upgrade path is to 18.04 first and then to 20.04.

4 Likes

Thanks very much for your work on the site. Sure that we all appreciate all you do.

3 Likes

Great work appreciated
Why did you choose this and not another Linux version ?
Just out of interest what does Ubuntu offer different or better
Do you self host or is it in a central place ?
Servers like this are not in my knowledge base, I leave my hosting to a professional company so just interested
Perhaps you coukd do a report on what you choose, why, what it’s based on in terms of hardware and where it’s hosted … this may be a user guide for others ?

I use DigitalOcean cloud services. Their Discourse script (for deploying a Linux server preconfigured with Discourse) was only available with Ubuntu. Basically, I did some minor configuration and rest was handled by the DigitalOcean scripts. Easier for me at that time.

The server is a virtual machine with 2 GB RAM and 50 GB hard disk. It has daily auto-backups enabled.

These days cloud services offer range of scripts/one-click apps to deploy a server with a pre-configured service like Discourse, Ghost, WordPress, Nextcloud and more. Makes the job easier for hobbyist people who can manage stuff on their own to an extent.

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing that info, interesting.

1 Like