Ventoy & Live Sessions

Okay. I found that you can update it from the Ventoy disk without harming the files on it. I will try it now.

Thanks @Tech_JA

1 Like

Sheila,
Here’s how you can do it:

• Download the latest version of Ventoy
  • Extract the files
  • Open a terminal window and and go to the ventoy directory you just extracted.
  • With the Flash Disk in the USB port, run the web script (it will run a web server):
sudo bash VentoyWeb.sh 
  • Open a tab in your browser and access the following page:
http://127.0.0.1:24680/
  • Now you can update Ventoy by clicking the Update button
  • When the update is finished, go back to the terminal window where the server is running and exit by pressing the ctrl + c keys.

The other solution is to use the CLI, but you’ll need to know what Ventoy’s mount partition is ( /dev/sXX)

I believe the web version will be the easiest at the moment

Jorge

2 Likes

Okay. I was reading instructions that said all versions have the ventoy file in the package and I kept trying to call it in terminal without success. This should work then.

Thanks

After password, terminal responded with no such file or directory. I downloaded and extracted in /Downloads. That shouldn’t be an issue, should it?

Sheila

Yes, that’s right. You have two partitions: one for Ventoy and another for the data (iso files). When you update Ventoy, you only write to the Ventoy partition, which is why I said you need to know where the Ventoy partition is mounted.

I believe the web version will be the easiest at the moment

Jorge

1 Like

If you’re in the Downloads partition and you’ve extracted Ventoy to Downloads, you need to go into the Ventoy directory.
Please try:

cd ~/Downloads/ventoy-1.0.94/

Jorge

Oh, sorry, I knew that. I changed directory to /Downloads and that’s when I tried and got error. I also saw the .sh file in the folders, but I could not run in terminal.

Is there a different command?

Sheila

can you post a screenshot of the directory list?
ls -la

@Tech_JA I saw that it said if you have trouble run the Ventoydisk2.sh but running them does not allow me to go to the server address in Firefox.

Thank you.
You’re in the Download directory. You need to change to the ventoy-1.0.94 directory, where the script is located:

cd ventoy-1.0.94

Once you’re in the Ventoy directory, you can run the script:

sudo bash VentoyWeb.sh
1 Like

Okay…sheesh. But I thought just navigating to the file .sh within the folder and clicking it and choosing “run” should have worked. Guess not. But that did. Now it is updated.

Thanks for all your help. I really liked Fedora (though very different from Linux Mint in navigating) but now I can try out openSUSE and see if I like it.

Sheila

Hi Sheila,
I’m glad you’ve managed to install the new version of Ventoy.
Now just put the OpenSuse ISO file on the Flash Disk and try it out.

I’ll be back in about 6 hours. If you have any questions, just ask and I’ll answer them as soon as I’m on the forum, or another user who’s around will answer them too.

Note: If any of my or another user’s answers have solved your problem, don’t forget to mark the answer as Solved.

Jorge

2 Likes

Does anyone understand the difference between normal and grub2 modes in Ventoy? Surely Ventoy is not still using grub1 and having the hide to call it normal?

I too have observed that some distros only run in one mode.

That is a really good survey of what happens… well done Jorge

3 Likes

Hi Neville,
Thank you for kind words.
I don’t know what “normal mode” is at the moment, but I’m trying to find out and I’ll let you know as soon as I get an answer.
I didn’t know, but when I looked up what “normal mode” was, I found out that there are 2 more modes:

• WINBOOT mode
  • MEMDISK mode

Here’s a link with more information

Hi Sheila,
After you updated Ventoy to release 1.0.94, a new release came out: ventoy-1.0.95

Jorge

2 Likes

Hi Neville,
I found some info about “normal mode”:

In normal mode, Ventoy will only read the iso file at booting time, and only read the content needed for boot. Ventoy works well in normal case, but not 100%. On some machines (especially in Legacy BIOS mode) there may be problems.

Here is the link with this info
I’m trying to get more info on the Ventoy forum.

Jorge

1 Like

That seems to imply that it boots directly from the .iso file, without grub?

Of course it did. :: Thanks, I’ll update again.

Sheila

1 Like

For anyone who sees this discussion, if you want to update to Ventoy-1.0.95, use the link above (it takes you to Ventoy’s GitHub page. While there is a link for the newest version on the Ventoy website, when I clicked the link, it takes me to a page that has not been updated yet so the newest version listed for download is ventoy-1.0.94. Perhaps they’ll get that updated in a few days.

Update: I discovered that when I get to the page where I can download the installer (where the latest version is 1.0.94, the ‘Releases’ link is selected by default but if you click the ‘Tags’ link (at the right of the ‘Releases’ link near the top-left, you can get the 1.0.95 release. I suppose the ‘Releases’ page has not been update yet. I’ll send an email reporting this issue.

Update 2: I emailed the folks at Ventoy explaining what I knew. They replied with this link: ([issue]: Version 1.0.95 not showing in releases (appears to be GitHub bug) · Issue #2539 · ventoy/Ventoy · GitHub) if anyone’s interested.

Ernie

3 Likes

Hi Neville,
Unfortunately, I can’t tell you much more about how normal mode works.
This is the answer I got on the Ventoy forum.

Jorge

1 Like

Thanks, @ernie I finally got it updated.

Sheila

1 Like