Want to Install Ubuntu 18.04

the picture attached above was just an example. mine looks like this:

when i click on the icon or button at right that looks like a cd, i see an option to “Choose Virtual Optical Disk File…” (like in Rosika’s example picture) as the first choice. that is the one you want to click so you can choose the ubuntu18.04.4-desktop-amd64.iso which is probably in your Downloads folder.

i don’t think that is necessary. like @Rosika said, i think you still just need to choose the .iso file after you click on the cd icon. after you do that, it should look similar to this next picture so that the name of the .iso file is now underneath Controller: IDE

1 Like

Hi Andy,

We finally got the VM to boot with Ubuntu, but, it never got to the point of actually showing the screens. My daughter said ENOUGH of this and started to follow the instructions and video to make a dual boot. She / we got stuck at some point, I’m not sure where, but she took the instructions home and has the video link already on her PC at home.

I hope she figures it out soon. I want to get my paws on Linux. I’ve already downloaded a free data base to look at to see if it will do the job I need to do. If not, there is always vi & ed that I can relearn from my Unix days a long time ago.

Thanks for your help for now.
Pat

3 Likes

one very helpful and important factor to note about how your windows 10 system boots before attempting to install ubuntu in a dual-boot situation is whether it is doing so with a legacy bios or uefi setup.

2 Likes

@RetiredGuy I do hope you have a system image of W10 before starting a dual boot with Linux? A dual boot can render a Windows PC unable to boot if not setup correctly.

3 Likes

This is your Ubuntu 18.04 64bit ISO running in a VirtualBox VM with a W10 host.
You said you had the ISO booting, but their are a few more steps to take before Ubuntu is installed.
Did you actually setup your VM before booting the ISO? Please post if you need more assistance.

2 Likes

Thanks for your heads up. I had not thought of it, yet, so I forwarded your message to my daughter, my PC guru along with he husband. They had all this stuff in college. I should have gotten this from the job when I was switched into computers to automate my office, but didn’t.

Thanks again.