What is the best Linux OS overall?

The broken record has started once again.

3 Likes

I inherited an G60-550CA. Made in 2009.
I presently run Windows 7 on it.
Why do you believe Trisquel is better than Mint on that machine ?

1 Like

@Akito, no kidding. You stole my reply! :joy:

I almost posted it last night but did not want to encourage my fan. :zipper_mouth_face:

1 Like

Sorry mother :monkey_face: I’ve scratched the record :flushed: kkkkkkkkk-kkkkkkkkk-KDE, KDE,KDE - kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk,kkkkkkkkkkk…
Lets try the flip side of this groupthink distro… by Akito and the Good Old Boys (as in Blues Bros film)
kkkkkkkkk-kkkkkkkkk-mint-mint-mint - kkkkkkkkk-kkkkkkkkk-mint - kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk,kkkkkkkkkkk…
So Funny… bring it on - preferably with test screen-shots…?
OoooooPs whats that I hear :ear: …? Deafening silence :ear: - hang on - is that dried peas in a tin rattling… :ear: :wink: :slightly_smiling_face: :face_with_hand_over_mouth: :joy:

Just light hearted monty fun :wink:

Hi @R_G Old timer like me (70) hope you are staying safe (and warm) in Quebec City. I see that you have a mind that is open to other distros and don’t necessarily go with the down the mainstream ubuntu-mint path. Check out groupthink when you get five minutes spare.
Gather that you liked Win-XP but unlike you I still use it regularly for SolidWorks 3D CAD, FEA mechanical stress analysis, Gas flow; wind tunnel analysis, CAM, Professional DTP DeskTop Publishing, movie making and editing, photo editing plus RAW. The 20 year old box, built by a friend, still outperforms modern Win10 laptops, possibly because it isn’t slowed down by AV etc having never seen the web…!

Spot the difference … Jump Ship to Trisquel without any problem…

I started gnu-linux path with Dell E6420 dual boot Win10 Pro-ubuntu 16 which I don’t use hardly at all now as Trisquel is much better on a 13 year old HP G60. I do not do gaming other than occasionally Pinball on XP to test my reactions. It was such a revelation finding the FsF and Trisquel - in some ways like a modern progression of WinXP-Pro with everything so stable, fast and snappy - hey; even www too! You can hit the ground running with Trisquel coming from XP-Vista-7 being productive in first five minutes it is just that easy to use compared to ubuntu or Win10 for that matter. Simples - init…!
Okay let’s give you the short answer - efficiency or lack of - just take a look at the CPU in my pictures 28% compared to 62% for Mint. Wo Dude; check out the mint CPU History maxing out at 100% - inefficient or what… Just like Lotus pissing over American Lard years back or my super agile CCM Rotax R30i SuperMoto pissing over a bloated Harley mid corner etc etc etc…
I posted this yesterday…

So funny that Akito and my super-fan Howard reacted so predictably. Akito even said, before I proved the exact contrary, that I should be unable to watch a video with so many tabs open and other apps loaded as it would be sooooooooo slooooooooow on old hardware. Just how wrong can you get… :thinking:
I used to test power, torque and efficiency of race engines on a dynamometer back in 1969 where counting small differences was the difference between winning races and coming second. As they say - who remembers who came in second, third or forth…?

Hope I have answered your "Why do you believe Trisquel is better than Mint on that machine ?Please do not pay that much attention to me or the “groupthink” detractors just drop Trisquel onto that old HP G60; smile as you consign Win7 to oblivion in the void - and never look back.

ps Anyone want my Dell E6420 quad core i7 dual boot Win10-ubuntu laptop-notebook…
make me an offer -
(Alloy chassis, American illuminated keyboard layout and no number pad)

I installed Trisquel on a Dell Latitude E4310
and, even with the wifi button at on, I cannot see the wifi networks available.

So no Internet.

I don’t know is the actual answer. I’ve tried lot of distros; unable to select one as my favorite…

Thank god I joined this community… I wouldn’t have met so much intelligent people like you if I didn’t join this community.

Sorry for any confusion - I included picture of WinXP-Pro from my CAD station for you; seeing how you miss it so - the 2nd picture is from my ancient HP laptop
I have dual boot win10 pro and ubuntu 16 on the Dell at present. So tempting to replace ubuntu with Trisquel just to see how lightning fast it would be and repeat my tests. PC mag reckons my Dell is built for power users whatever they are…?

Did you check your wifi card on h-node org first - going to check my Dell’s card soon.
Trust that you are okay with h-node…?

Also after install do an update on default settings then do this …

UpdateControl-01

… to include unsupported update backports. When I then updated again a very large update ensued with LibreOffice being the main constituent which I suspect would have fixed the spell check bug and any issues you may have - drivers etc.
Do not expect too much as stability can be quite boring - it just gets on with tasks at hand without fuss.

I don’t know what is h-node.org

I do not have any spell check bug or any issues

Why would stability be boring ?

2 Likes

Apologies Roger, operating on too many subjects and not answering direct questions in a timely manner.

https://trisquel.info/en/wiki/setup-wireless-card

The h-node wifi site is a resource that will help users find information about if wireless cards work with all Free Software. Users are encouraged to submit hardware information to h-node because this will help the community know which hardware is supported and which to avoid.
If I had got my brain engaged I would have realized that I have already covered this under your own Topic (twice) so can’t understand why we keep coming back to this…

Cool … Suggest that you still do an upgrade per my post above “unsupported update backports” after you have all your extra apps (if any) loaded. You can then un-check it afterwards for future updates.

As I said before "it just gets on with tasks at hand without fuss.” There is no need to tweak anything just get on with whatever. However as I have said before I am in the minority here, there are many Fossers who like nothing better than to tweak all day and I can understand this as I used to set up SolidWorks to my personal preferences and with Ffox in bad old Win-Vista days. :face_with_head_bandage: :woozy_face:
Tweaking panels fonts whatever is just so easy too… :smiley:
Stay Safe :mask:

To answer the questions

Answer to question 1:
Is it really important to state what PC mag reckons ?

Answer to question 2:
Please remember my earlier input
inxi -Fxz
Device-2: Ralink RT3090 Wireless 802.11n 1T/1R PCIe vendor: Lite-On driver: rt2800pci v: 2.3.0 port: e800 bus ID: 03:00.0

I checked, per your suggestion, and tada ; it is the very last of the 3rd page :
Ralink corp. RT3090 Wireless 802.11n 1T/1R PCIe

possible other names of the device: 11ad:7601 Lite-On Communications Inc Device
vendor: Ralink corp.
year of commercialization: 2012
interface: PCI-E
does it work with free software? no

Please @Andy2 take a look at
https://h-node.org/wifi/view/en/133/Ralink-corp–RT3090-Wireless-802-11n-1T-1R-PCIe/3/1/undef/undef/undef/undef/wifi-works/Ralink

Looks like luck is not there.

Will LMDE 4 “co-reside” with LM stnd edition (Cinnamon and Xfce) on old desktop ?? If so, will Grub support selecting either of 3 distros ?

BB