What you should have known before switching to Linux from Windows?

I’ve been just over 2 years on Linux and I made the jump after doing a lot of research i.e. reading forums and blogs/watching videos etc. I finally made the jump after watching a Chris Titus video on trying Linux for 30 days (or something along those lines). I settled on Linux Mint (which is still my daily driver) as it was recommended at the time as the best for anyone coming over from Windows (W7 in my case). I dual booted with Linux Mint 19.2 so I was able to do a side by side comparison whilst moving more of my activities from Windows over to Linux.

I use Linux Mint simply because it works. It’s a great starting point - you can explore other distros if you wish or stay with what you’ve got (I am the latter). As I said at the beginning, research is the key. Don’t get blown around by trends and fancy eye candy - find out what fits your needs initially and stick with it until you gain proficiency so you can move on.

I was pointed to this article (Linux is not Windows) - a must read for anyone contemplating a move from Windows to Linux.

My 10c worth :slightly_smiling_face:

Phil

1 Like