What's your favorite snaps/programs/management tools?

What’s your favorite programs,dayli drivers in Ubuntu, management tools, audio players,any kind of editors…just wondering what people are using and why?

1 Like

I’m not using that, but I’m using Debian 10 Buster on my computer as well as on my laptop, so I dare to chime in on this topic. Most of the time I am using the following programs:

Kate

• extremely versatile
  • all kinds of syntax highlighting
  • a lot of options to set it up for your needs
  • very fast on Linux (not so much on Windows, as usual)

Guake (or Deepin Terminal in Quake Mode)

• super quick access to CLI; fast to work with
  • stable (Deepin Terminal isn’t as robust in Quake Mode on non-Deepin distributions, sadly)
  • customizable

Mosh

• lightweight
  • does not replace classic SSH, but uses it instead
  • gets along with bad or interrupting connections very well
  • excellent for working with headless SBCs (mainly Raspberry Pis, in my case)

There are other programs I use as well, but these are the ones I basically use all the time when being on Debian.

1 Like

Brackets, Android Studio, GIMP, Inkscape, Thunderbird, VLC.

1 Like

firefox because i have been using it forever and it has been an alternative to the “big” names with what feels like (and truly seems to be in practice) better principles. i like the sync function. that has made world of difference now that i browse for things on my phone and can have access to that history on my laptop as well. not to mention keeping up with passwords.

when i decided to use an email client i chose thunderbird because of the mozilla name. i am no power email user so i don’t need it do too much. it fetches them for me and sends off the one or two i write a week.

vlc (along with libdvdcss) satisfies all of my video playing and watching needs. even older dvd’s from the library play without a hitch.

i use handbrake to make copies of my dvd’s (all four seasons of battlestar galactica took a while) just because i find it easier to track down the correct folder on an external drive than dig the clamshells out of the closet and hope i was smart enough to put them back in the correct one :slight_smile:

clementine is a decent, lightweight audio player with good tagging ability. i don’t use it often, but like that it can show cover art while an album is playing.

timeshift for backups is my favorite recent find. i think i found it originally in an itsfoss email. it is quick to set up and use and the few times i have had to use it so far, it has restored everything just as i had hoped.

2 Likes

I’m feeling the same way.

But this functions should truly only be used for the most unimportant online accounts. Everything else should be stored in a password manager.

2 Likes

Hello there. (General Kenobi…) :wink:

As a simply “normal” user I take advantage of the following software on a day-to-day basis:

• Firefox for my internet needs
  • Thunderbird as mailclient
  • Guake for terminal issues (nice to see, that this is used by someone else too…)
  • VLC as my standard video/audio player
  • Vokoscreen and Audacity for my screencasts
  • Zim Desktop wiki for note-taking
  • tomb and KeepassXC for my secret stuff … :smiling_imp:
  • TexStudio for preparing my Community presentations (LaTEX)

And several more that I forgot because I don’t use them too often…

1 Like

i have known this was true for some time, but just been avoiding it. time to bite the bullet and start using one. do you have a recommendation?

In my opinion, the only password manager everyone should use. 100% open source, never found a bug in several years of daily usage, a LOT of customization and options in general.

1 Like

Or KeepassXC as an alternative (without the mono dependency)…

1 Like

i see that listed with -x and 2.x under contributed/unofficial ports, but am not familiar with the definition of “mono dependency” and why that would be good or bad thing. i am following links to see what they say, but do you care to explain what your concern or thoughts about it are?

I would recommend going with this. Usually possible by doing:

sudo apt install keepass2

As far as I noticed, it is just a lot to download, if you only need it for 1 application. Don’t see other issues coming with it.

1 Like

Does it support Keepass2 plugins? If not, then I would not recommend this alternative.

as per their faq:

q:Does KeePassXC support (KeePass2) plugins?

a: No, KeePassXC does not support plugins at the moment. We are thinking about providing some kind of plugin infrastructure or external API in the future, but cannot specify how it will work or when it will be ready.

Then I definitely would recommend the actual Keepass2. The plugins are extremely useful and in my opinion some of them are necessary if you want to make sure everything is secured as best as you can, in a quick and easy fashion.

1 Like

also from the keepassxc faq, in case anyone else wanders in and has the same question:

q: Why KeePassXC instead of KeePass?

a: KeePass is a very proven and feature-rich password manager and there is nothing fundamentally wrong with it. However, it is written in C# and therefore requires Microsoft’s .NET platform. On systems other than Windows, you can run KeePass using the Mono runtime libraries, but you won’t get the native look and feel which you are used to. KeePassXC, on the other hand, is developed in C++ and runs natively on all platforms giving you the best-possible platform integration.

definitely gonna give it a go. thanks again for the recommendation :slight_smile:

This is either outdated or just wrong. I use Keepass2 on both Windows and Linux and it is almost entirely the same experience. Barely a difference in looks and feels. I trade off the tiny feel differences for plugin support. :+1:t2:

look and feel aren’t particularly important to me. i only included that q&a to give the “mono dependency” question some context. i like lightweight de’s because stuff like look and feel are very secondary to functionality and longevity. when i was adding thunderbird and clementine to my original list, i had thought to mention (what i had read in some articles about de/program fragmentation vs integration) that some who are concerned with look and feel might find them a little more clunky. i chose to leave that out because they serve my needs just fine :slight_smile:

1 Like

So you are good to go. If you have questions regarding long-term usage of Keepass2, I most likely am able to support. Especially regarding folder structure, etc.

1 Like

yep. installed as per your instructions above:

sudo apt install keepass2

just reading some intro to/tutorials to make sure i get started correctly :slight_smile:

1 Like