Working Without a GUI: Article by Bryan Lunduke

https://www.linuxjournal.com/content/without-gui-how-live-entirely-terminal

7 Likes

Thanks for sharing Cliff, interesting read. Not sure I’d want to do it, but good to know that it is doable if you had to do so.

2 Likes

Thanks for the link Cliff, Interesting I’ve used some of the programs he listed before. But others were new to me. I’ll give them a try just for the fun of it.

2 Likes

I’ve used wordgrinder before - I quite liked it - I think I recommended it in someone’s introduction …

My “introduction” to the interwebs, was via a NIX shell at Uni, using “pine” (ancestor of “alpine”) and gopher, and lynx and ncftp (ncurses driven FTP client)… I’ve tried mutt in the past, to access my gmail, but I find it’s just a hell of a lot easier to do that stuff in a GUI based browser (I don’t use any mail clients - i.e. do all my personal email in Gmail, and work email in Exchange, via the web clients in Chromium).

Some of us are old enough to remember a time where EVERYTHING was a “text” based interface, MS-DOS, DBase III, Lotus 123, MS Word 6, IBM Displaywrite, Wordstar, 3170 mainframe terminal emulator… Heck even Compuserve was mostly done through a telex “terminal” in DOS…

Sometimes, for that old school look, run mpg123 (it’s like cmus - but I prefer mgp123 - I run it via a shell script I call “lumu”) in “Cool Retro Term” and play my music there :

3 Likes

Oh it make remember the time MS-Dos, all in command line.
but it is passed…however even in currently yet is necessary sometimes. :star_struck:

1 Like

This sounds like a challenge. Shall we start a no-gui challenge for a week/day? :slight_smile:

4 Likes

OK, I’m ready for the MS-Dos challenge. :rofl:

2 Likes

I had not known or heard of many of these options - Thanks for sharing!

1 Like