YouTube Downloader current version fails on some videos

I think, it depends. It’s not better per sé. It’s most of the time easier to deal with, though.

:laughing:

I initially read

I used to R that away

as in, you used R to solve the problem of custom installations making problems. :grin:

1 Like

Install was fine, but

nevj@trinity ~ $ youtube-dl --no-check-certificate https://jummedia.com.au/live/mary-irene-dawn-robinson/
[generic] mary-irene-dawn-robinson: Requesting header
WARNING: Falling back on generic information extractor.
[generic] mary-irene-dawn-robinson: Downloading webpage
[generic] mary-irene-dawn-robinson: Extracting information
ERROR: Unsupported URL: https://jummedia.com.au/live/mary-irene-dawn-robinson/

yt-dlp does the same.

I guess that means the URL site is not supported.

Thanks
Neville

That URL appears to be for the page hosting the stream… you need the URL for the stream…

I just tried querying the HTML - there’s some 500 “http” strings in that HTML, one of them may in theory be the video / streaming URL… Which one???

The page publisher seems to have disabled things like right click and “get Video URL”…

I have success… but not with youtube downloader… I understand that you need the URL of the stream.

What I did was go back to Firefox an look for video download plugins… there are 840 of them. … So I tried some of the more popular ones and got nowhere. Then after about 20 tries I found one that worked. It has the strange name of
video downloader CocoCut
You just start playing the video and it detects the stream and brings up a menu where you select one version to download, and away it goes.
5 hours later I have a perfect copy, sound and video in an mp4. (4.8Gb)

So thank you for your efforts and advice. My wife is excited… that funeral was a big event in our little town… the lady who died was the matriarch of a famous horse training family and also my wife’s friend. The problem with those sites that do online weddings, etc, is that they take it down after a few months and it is lost. Now my wife can give them a DVD or flashdrive to keep forever.

Regards
Neville

1 Like

Wish me luck - I just bought a “lifetime” (yeah - I never believe those lifetime claims) subscription to watch a UK series I LOVED as a kid in the early 1970’s “Grasshopper Island” on Vimeo…

Anyway - obviously it goes without saying, I want a “backup” copy of the content I paid for, to play OUTSIDE of vimeo’s “ecosystem”…

I’ve actually downloaded password protected content off Vimeo before - using youtube-dl… just not sure how to grab content that is username - and - password, protected - or to get URLs for the stuff I paid for and own rights in perpetuity, to watch, at my leisure… i.e. password protected is easy, but not so much USERNAME and password…

It actually reminds me a bit of me and my siblings, three boys, in various places in Europe (mostly Greece) and Australia, 1970-1973, mostly by the seaside… Mostly carefree days and no school for NEARLY TWO YEARS!!!

Anyway - I don’t plan on distributing illegal copies of it, but I WOULD like to share it with my surviving brother (I’m the eldest, the next youngest, Ben, passed away from brain cancer, 8 years ago), Raphael, 3000+ km away in Melbourne…

It also has the late, great, incomparable Tim Brooke-Taylor in numerous roles, often in drag…

1 Like

Well if youtube-dl fails…
we now know that there is at least one firefox plugin that can grab any video that you can get to play on your browser
even if you cant find the url

I loaded that video stream into 3 or 4 instances of firefox… installed that CocoCut plugin… nothing… nada…

Update: I found this “CocoCut” doohicky - tried it in Firefox and Chrome and Brave - did diddly squat…

Nearly gave up…

But I persisted, none of the CLI solutions worked - there’s a simple way to get “hidden” or private videos from Vimeo in youtube-dl / yt-dlp, but no way to get “On Demand” …

The makers of Vimeo clearly do not know what “download” actually means (but what’s annoying is that ALL video streaming downloads some or most or all of a stream - so it can buffer). I still remember a time when you could scan the contents of your Google Chrome “cache” - all the content, images, videos, music, were there with scrambled names and extensions…

This says “Stream or download”… My ARSE!

Anyway - this plugin managed to grab it for me :
https://vimeomate.com/en

It plonks it’s own widget alongside / below the Vimeo control widgets, and lets you download YOUR STUFF YOU BOUGHT to your hard drive “for archival purposes”…

It’s just damned annoying I couldn’t figure out a scripted or CLI method…

Well you can… its a SMOP ( simple matter of programming)
But most of us dont have the time
So we look for shortcuts
and you found one
Congratulations. Its nice to have a win. Enjoy your (paidfor) video

2 Likes

I still use ClipGrab AppImage which uses YouTube-dl. Had no problem at all downloading from YouTube or any other site. All you have to do before opening ClipGrab is install python first, go into properties of ClipGrab AppImage and tick the box that says run as program. As soon as you open ClipGrab it asks you if you’d like it to go off and update YouTube-dl, push continue whoosh off it goes updates it in no time and then it loads up a home screen of YouTube. You can set the settings to either download as MP4, MP3 for music or podcasts. Make sure you have FFmpeg installed, so that ClipGrab can make your downloaded MP4’s.

I always create a .AppImages folder in my home directory, then inside .local/share folder an applications folder. I then create a clipgrab.desktop script, using xed or gedit, mousepad, whatever preferred app to make scripts with? Picture below of my script.

The reason for this script is so it’s in your menu, or be added to your panel.
This is where Linux will never be so popular, as in up there with Microsoft, because people want everything out of the box working for them straight away, as it does in their Windows desktop.
They simply don’t want to learn something new. Yes Linux can be a pain in the rectum at times, but I love the fact that we are in control of it, not taken over by some proprietary system, that tells us you must have this and that on our computers. We as users of Linux are also the maintainers of the environment we work in day after day and that is the true nature of Linux and FOSS. I wrote this not because of dumbing down or preaching to people, just showing that ClipGrab truly works wonderfully for myself and just saying maybe it’ll work for you all too on your systems?
PS Before I go if you’re going to use the script above remember to use your name, as using mine will fail miserably. :laughing:

2 Likes

I’m using yt-dlp as the engine, and Media Downloader as the front-end.
Media Downloader

It has an options menu to build options into yt-dlp’s command line. Works a treat!