ZFS documentation?

Trying to support the server market maybe.

That seems unlikely to me - but then again - seen some recent news that Gentoo are going to start doing more binary releases or whatever…

As for the server market, no employer is going to have employees deploying servers where each server install has to be compiled… I guess more likely - if for some reason Gentoo was chosen for reason “x”, they’d be developing a server SOE they could then clone for rapid deployment maybe?

Yeah, nothing to stop you cloning a Gentoo setup, at least to same architecture.
You would still have to compile the master

Gentoo already has a binary project going, even setup a VM to use binary packages, the only problem is, the binary packages are not up-to-date and emerge/portage will try to pull in up-dated packages, which have no binary equivalent.
It would be great if Gentoo would do something like Redcore. or at least fork a way to use the Redcore binary packages, it would benefit both Gentoo and Redcore, but I doubt that will happen.

I dont see the problem with compiling. … at least in modern computers.
I can see people liking a drop-in binary to get started, but why bother with binary packages? Portage would be a complicated waste if there were binary packages… it is set up for compiling … particularly for managing all the extra options compiling gives you.
A fully binary Gentoo would be something like Debian with a Gentoo kernel? Who wants that?

For you and I, compiling works just fine, but if Gentoo wishes to move into the masses, then it must evolve. Have you not watched the movie Star Trek?

1 Like

No, never seen it.

There are plenty of easy distros. Why should Gentoo try and compete with that.? It would lose its special character.
and
Gentoo does have its merits, one of which is better version control of packages.
You would have to go to something like NixOS to get real
windback ability with packages.
Debian falls over because it does not keep older versions of
packages in its repos. I suspect it does that because apt cannot really cope with dependency issues arising from multiple versions of a package. It will be interesting to see how Gentoo copes… I know it can emerge specific versions
but beyond that i wonder what will happen with dependency clashes.

OH MY!!!

Wait for quantum computers. Gentoo will compile in a nanosecond, and all this binary packages rubbish will diaappear. Everyone will compile and Gentoo will be top of the class.

1 Like

There are changes coming, especially for old school, like us two!!!

1 Like

The very best ZFS documentation (IMHO) is here:

https://web.archive.org/web/20230828020108/https://pthree.org/2012/12/04/zfs-administration-part-i-vdevs/

The original site is down or very slow, so I provided a URL to the Wayback Machine. This site helped me a lot while writing the ZFS section of Linux Pocket Guide 4th edition.

3 Likes

Yes it looks to be well written.
Thank you

2 Likes