32 bit laptop distro?

I’m running my desktop machine - Ubuntu 22.04.1 - MSI motherboard with Ryzen 7, off a 1 TB Samsung NVMe, and the Thinkpad E495 with a 1 TB SanDisk NVMe - never had an issue with it so far :smiley:

Note : can’t find that goddamn Samsung N150, so won’t be trying out TinyCore Plus anytime soon… Oh well… I just hope wherever the F I put it - I put the power supply with - 'cause that’s got a proprietary connector…

So many computers you actually lose them. I like that

It came to life again. Renaming it Lazerus.
Had a go at an Alpine install. Got it installed onto a single partition, and kept my Void linux partition.
Bit of a disaster, the Alpine install process destroyed grub on the mbr.
Had to find a 32bit SuperGrub2 CD, boot it, and use it to boot Void.
Then, in Void did grub-install /dev/sda and update grub
Grub with os-prober found Void, and Alpine
Reboot… Grub menu shows Void and Alpine
I can boot Void, but Alpine boot attempt fails with a kernel panic… it cant find root filesystem
Go into Void and look at the Alpine filesystem. The vmlinuz and initrd files are in /boot where they should be, and the /etc/fstab file is ok.
Tried a manual boot at the grub> prompt
when I type linux /boot vmlinuz-lts root=/dev/sda4
it says grub cant find the vmlinuz-lts file… but it is there?..

So failure, but at least I have my Void back.
Looks like Alpine is not a very good “corporate citizen” in a multiboot situation. The install does nasty things like defaulting to using the whole disk, and wiping the mbr. Then when you get around that, grub seems to have trouble finding things.

Dont attempt Alpine without a backup, and make sure you have a grub recovery disk, and another os to fix things from.

1 Like

@nevj
SuperGrub2 has saved my a----e a few times?