A Linux distro suitable for an old laptop

Well, hi everyone!

I need an advice on what is the best possible choice to install a distro on old laptop that i bought back in 2007.
Without further ado, here’s the techincal specifications:

• Its a Acer Aspire 5715Z/5315 Series Notebook;
  • CPU: Intel Celeron processor 540(1.86GHz,533MHz FSB,1MB L2 cache);
  • GPU: Mobile Intel Graphic Media Accelerator X1300 252 MB;
  • RAM: 1GB DDR2,later upgraded to 3GB;
  • 120 GB Hard Disk Drive;
  • 15,4" WXGA 1280x800 pixel resolution.
    I’m looking for a distro that suits best with these specifications.Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks!.
3 Likes

Linux mint 32 bit debian edition
Not much other choice on 32bit and its updated runs fine on older machines i know as i hzve it on a netbook of the same age and only 2gb memory

6 Likes

If you want something more minimal than Paul’s Mint…
distros still supporting 32 bit are

• Void Linux independent and rolling release
  • Antix debian based and fixed release
  • Gentoo but dont try to compile it, use a binary

Of those, the easiest to learn is Antix.
None of them are as easy as Mint.

2 Likes

Just a side note:
According to Intels database, the CPU is 64bit capable, so it’s not limited to 32bit distros.
https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/30774/intel-celeron-processor-540-1m-cache-1-86-ghz-533-mhz-fsb.html

I’d also recommend Debian, but with LXDE, which is a more lightweight desktop, probably fits better into the constraints of that machine.
I have serious doubts, how that machine’s performance will do the job in our current world of web…

1 Like

That widens the choice.
I would still go for a minimalist distro, especially the choice of DE… as you suggest LXDE or even ICEwm.

1 Like

Hi all, :wave:

and Bodhi Linux, I suppose:

Bodhi Linux traditionally offered three different ISO images in each release; Standard, AppPack, and Legacy*

• *Due to Ubuntu dropping support for 32-bit, we plan to make a Debian-based Legacy ISO (32-bit) to replace our previous Legacy ISO. Stay posted!

system requirements:

Minimum:

• 32bit, 500MHz Processor (including Non-PAE)
  • 512MB of RAM
  • 5GB of drive space

Recommended:

• 64bit, 1.0GHz processor
  • 768MB of RAM
  • 10GB of drive space

(see here)

Cheers from Rosika :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Peppermint, either Debian or Devuan, is available in 32-bit. It’s pretty friendly to older boxes.

1 Like

I’ve had good luck with MX-23 on older laptops. (there is a 32-bit version)

1 Like

I know its not same machine, but getting anything linux into acer aspire ES14 is driving me nuts
Hope you have better success

I would pay attention to what @kovacslt has stated!!! Even if you find a Linux Distro that will run on this machine, it will still have issues with todays websites, been down that road.
If you are still running W7, and I do on one of my machines, the Brave browser can still be installed and used, but there will be no other browser updates, but it will still get one on the internet.

2 Likes

But LMDE is up to date so no issues with browser or internet

1 Like

Yes, but it comes with Cinnamon, which is definitely not a light DE.
If the choice would be LMDE, I’d patiently install it (the 64 bit version) using defaults, then I’d install LXDE, something like apt install task-lxde-desktop, then I’d remove the Cinnamon, something like apt purge cinnamon* && apt autoremove --purge.
This should result in an LMDE installation with LXDE instead of the Cinnamon.
I already did this with an LMDE, that time I installed XFCE instead of Cinnamon, I think it would work for LXDE too.

Edit:
I still think this machine requires a very light DE on whichever distro.
It’s going to behave bearable for offline works, such as working with documents, spreadsheets, viewing pictures and such.
But it is going to be highly stressed running any (!!!) of todays browser, and opening any todays webpage, including itsfoss.com.

What i have in mind was something light on resources and for a newbie like myself, easy to install and learn.
Also, a distro with great support and free of charge.I was inclined to AntiX but i’m open to more suggestions.
Thanks.

Among the light on resources distros, Peppermint is probably the easiest for a beginner, then Bodhi or Linux Lite, then Antix.

There is not much difference. If you choose Antix, the full install is a lot easier than base or core or net.
With Antix you also get to choose between sysVinit or runit
init systems. I use runit. Either is OK.

It looks like you can use 64 bit. You should try… 32 bit is likely to disappear soon and there are already problems with some packages not being available.

My last post was done in a hurry.I don’t have internet access at home, i use a public space to do so.
Anyway(and to wrap this up), what i’m looking for is a distro that gives my computer the functionality and stability of Win7 without the specs needed to run it.
Up until now, i was convinced that only 32-bit editions were best suited but since i found out that the CPU supports a 64-bit edition,what i want to know is:among the several distros out there, who’s the one, on a 64-bit edition, light enough to run on a laptop like my own?Because if i understood correctly, a 64-bit will consume all the CPU resources,leaving little to run an application,like a browser.You’re the experts,you tell me.
To finish this,i just wanna add this: i’m not interested in something fancy or visually appealing.Functionality and stability comes first, so a minimalist approach is welcomed.
These days, i use my laptop basically to surf the net,watch videos on Youtube and occasionally, some gaming.That’s pretty much it.
I hope i clarified things here.
Thank you.

My opinion is that this makes you choose a light DE, I think any distro offering that will be OK. For example LXDE, or as @nevj suggested i3wm.

This sounds like you want Debian. :wink:
Probably you could gain some more “lightness” having an init system other than systemd, so Devuan may worth of consideration.

1 Like

@Luis_Cardoso
I have a Devuan with Xfce and runit init system… but it is in a powerful computer. For your purposes , if you are going to go with Devuan, you would need to use LXDE or ICEwm, and I think sysVinit woukd be an easier option than runit for a beginner… just because Devuan works better with sysVinit that it does with runit.
Antix would be much lighter than Devuan. Antix is still Debian based, but it comes with several light install options.
To get a light install of Debian or Devuan, you need to use a network install and only add what you need… a full install ( called a DVD in Debian) will not be light.
Dont forget Linux Lite… it is an Ubuntu derivative.

1 Like

@Luis_Cardoso
I do not know the full history of your Acer 5715Z/5315 but all the info I can gatther that Acer started life with Windows Vista, Home Basic 32bit and 1GB ram and a max of 2GB ram, with a1 core Celeron 540 CPU running a HDD drive. Now just because that CPU has 64bit instruction does not mean that system will boot any Linux 64bit.
My opinion is that about the only Linux that machine will or could possibly run would be either Puppy Linux or EasyOS running from a USB stick, These old Vista era PC,s are getting old and are not very compatible with Linux or anything else, except with what the machine is running. Good Luck!!!

1 Like

If that is true, @Luis_Cardoso may be better off choosing a 32 bit linux. He needs to try a some live distros… see what it can handle.

1 Like

And to decide it wether it’s true, is to try, wether it boots.
I don’t see a reason from here it would not boot…

(Another question wether ACPI functions will work? Such as controlling backlight, properly switch off, etc.)

1 Like