A small everyday privacy trick for you, from me

There are already tons of tutorials and guides for improving your digital and perhaps even physical privacy on the internet. So, in case you have taken all measures you can, but cannot fulfill all, because you are for example forced to use Google, Microsoft or Apple services, for example because of work, or extremely stubborn family members, etc. then I think the following advice will help you protect your privacy a bit more, even if you cannot ditch Google/Microsoft and other providers, entirely, at this moment.

Obviously, one of the biggest issues is, that such companies, Google and Facebook being the most notorious ones of all, are EVERYWHERE! Yes, they are everywhere. There are like/save/share buttons all over the internet. Sometimes you don’t even see any signs of those companies, for example when 3rd party companies use Google Analytics or something. Then you don’t even notice how Google is with you all the time. Here is what you can do as another step for treating your privacy as a human right, which is often not mentioned in any privacy guide.

You don’t have a car? Search for “new tires” on eBay/Amazon.
You are young, perfectly healthy? Search for pain medication for diabetes or other chronic diseases on the internet.
You never had a dog and never will have one? Search for dog food, but only for the good stuff with lots of meat in it, because you imaginary dog loves meat!
Do you hate eating spinach? Search for spinach meals, for example spinach pizza, spinach casserole, etc.

I think you get the drift from those examples. This is a small trick that I wanted to add to all those privacy advices that are already out there, anywhere.

Here is one of the best websites from the people, for the people:

3 Likes

Thanks for the link, useful and interesting only shame is NO long list of Linux versions. If there is a difference between Ubuntu and mint, I guess as one is based on the other then it’s the same but …

Cried with laughter when I read this post as on opening the web page under operating systems:-
“If you are currently using an operating system that collects data like Windows 10, you should pick an alternative here.”
Top of the list was linux distro Fedora. I then clicked the “Privacy Policy” box taking me to the legal page…

FedoraPrivacyLegal

Lengthy statement - I know. Nearly wet myself reading what they do or might grab from your personal details and how they might use it - Yikes! Is Win10 worse than this - guess so but… :woozy_face:

Members would do better to to read something far better, simpler, clear and shorter too at…

Trisquel-Privacy-01

https://trisquel.info/en/privacy

https://www.gnu.org/proprietary/malware-microsoft.html

Now wasn’t that refreshingly simple and so easy to understand…? Cool. :slightly_smiling_face:

My advice is to take little notice of this web site and not start me (2nd) on list Ubuntu’s links to Mzoft… :woozy_face: :face_vomiting: and yet again secure encrypted drive Trisquel gnulinux are missing… :roll_eyes:
However Qubes, Tails+Tor, which I always keep fully updated on a USB stick, and GrapheneOS fully updated and fully updated AOS with security patches; which I flashed onto my phone are a good start if device security figures with your personal requirements. I use Tails+Tor a lot when on web for forced YTube viewing or dodgy keyword searches like Assange… results can be stored in a special partition or saved to another USB drive.
GrapheneOS is a strange one perhaps the opposite of Tails+Tor and probably best described as hiding in plain sight. It has a security hardened version of Chromium called Vanadium. Over the air 4G updates are fairly quick and so simple then just restart your phone.
Stay Safe :mask:

I’m still waiting for governments of the world to back Graphene technology further as it’s founders found Graphene in a lead pencil. It conducts electricity so making electric cars would be a breeze as the body of the car could have Graphene paint and soak up daylight to keep it charged. Graphene - Wikipedia

1 Like

And I’m gonna ride the Hyperloop on solar freakin’ roadways with a Starship inside, bringing me from New York to Beijing in 12 minutes. :wink:

2 Likes

The Groupthink duo strike again with the usual predictable off-topic tactics :roll_eyes: :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping: :smirk:

By the time that happens we shall of died, as it won’t be in our life time unfortunately.

It was only because I saw Graphene OS that got me thinking about whatever happened to Graphene Technology?

It won’t ever happen this way, because physics are real.

1 Like

Thank you very much for that post! It was very interesting to read and I have never heard of Startpage but it looks very cool indeed!

1 Like

Hey @clatterfordslim No worries - no harm done up to now.
Security and privacy are one of my main concerns especially with mobile devices. Having said that I am quite chilled or relaxed about it these days having settled into Trisquel with Abrowser which even straight out of the box with no add-ons is quite secure and has none of the problems encountered by Roger recently and by other members for eons. This relaxed mood is further enhanced as the nightmare of the /e/ phone has ended and have now got a Pixel 3a which I flashed custom ROM GrapheneOS as endorsed by Edward Snowden.
Interesting as the soot flake graphene is I am trying to hash up a Review at the moment. Hope you are still having fun with your Art…? I came across ultra lightweight mtpaint recently but have yet to fully utilize it for everyday tasks.
Take Extra Care to stay safe (my first jab in two days)

Thank you for sharing the link to my website here, Akito. Please let me know what needs improvement and I’ll have open ears.

1 Like

Thank you for sharing the information and indeed good to use it.

On the top, you can use the other options, which help to have more privacy checks, if you are using ;

1. Search engine : Use DuckDuckGo
  2. Website encryption : Use Https-Everywhere

Feel free to share your views.

I have been using startpage from a many years and one of the tool I keep advising people to use it when you surfing on the internet.

Lately, being such :wink:, I’ve been using “OpenSnitch,” an open-source version of “littlesnitch” application-level firewall from the region of apple…

Opensnitch info @ BSD Nerds

At GitHub

OpenSnitch

As the developer suggest, once installed, just let it run on your system to see what it does for a week, or longer, if need be. The default settings only set “deny” until the next reboot, and you can change this easily. Once you get the lay of the land, so to speak, you can specify your own rules.

Don’t be hasty to take over: you will learn a lot by watching how it works.