Abandoning Google Drive

Despite the “interesting battle” about services, ads, bears and prices, and back to the original questiion, I think the Nextcloud option + DuckDNS for remote access is a good (and OpenSource also) option if you want to leave the Google services and don’t want to purchase any Open Hardware or commercial NAS.

AFAIK, the user mention Netxcloud is running well from local so, for accessing from anywhere on the planet, simply add DuckDNS or the DDNS service you want (No-IP, Dyn, etc…) and you’re in.

Sometime ago (Spoiler alert: promotion to myself on It’s Foss :D) I wrote a post talking about dropping Google, using (mostly) opensource options, including alternatives for gDrive.

One of these alternatives (OnlyOffice) have a Plugin for Nextcloud (and Owncloud, Moddle and many more) that works exactly a gDrive does. Keep an eye in case you’re interested…

Another option could be build your own NAS using a Raspberry Pi + UPS/SAI + OMV/Nextcloud + DuckDNS and the gazillion GB/TB attached HDD/SDD you want to use.

I use this method to access/sync my data from my laptop (no matter I’m in the middle of the mountain or at my house toilette) to home and vice-versa, and I’m very satisfied. Specially not only because I’m avoiding any monthly/annual billing (Hardware is mine forever), but I’m the only one that can have access to the data (anyway is a good idea the Veracrypt/Cryptomator option) and (of course) because I’m using Opensource programs and Hardware. If you also add SyncthingFork (available on F-Droid) to the team, then you can take any photo from your Android camera phone and send it immediatelly ti your RPi NAS. Internet is full of tutorials explaining this so, I’m pretty sure you can find one that suits your needs…

Cheers!
Benny.

3 Likes