Advice for OS needed

Hi @Andy2:

Yes, quite right; I noticed that too.

Agreed. :wink:

When doing a clean install (switching from Lubuntu xenial to Lubuntu bionic) I prepared myself this way:

comm -23 <(apt-mark showmanual | sort -u) <(gzip -dc /var/log/installer/initial-status.gz | sed -n 's/^Package: //p' | sort -u)

The result of that command went into a txt-file, like results.txt.
Thus I had a list of all programmes I installed after the initial setup of Lubuntu.
The beauty of that list is that it lists just the programmes without any dependencies.

After that:

xargs -a path-to-results.txt sudo apt-get install

That worked like a charm. :smile:

But this procedure was good for Lubuntu —> Lubuntu.
Now (if using trisquel) I´d have to figure out for myself what else I have to install.

Never mind. Trisquel seems to be a hot candidate still. :+1:

Many greetings.
Rosika :slightly_smiling_face:

P.S.:
I supopose it might be possible to download Trisquel with Mate (even if 2.6 GB download) and after its installation perform either

sudo apt-get install lxde # for DE environment only or

sudo apt-get install lubuntu-desktop

1 Like

Hi Fossers - As we all should know maxing out system stress or loading is as simple as editing a large 10 mega-pixel photo with quality set high. The next obvious consideration is for how long is the extreme loading lasting - a minute or two? Few of you will get to use FEA – Finite Element Analysis or SolidWorks… Safety critical components subject to 45g with safety factor of two gives 90g. When you have set all the parameters and click calculate it loads the computer to max in some cases for in excess of 24hrs when I tend to power off to crash out and devise another stratagem.
As you know I have pleaded (#76) for others to replicate my simple apps plus browser video; practical test and think I now know why there have been no takers! So I did the same test on my ubuntu-Dell and guess what ….?

Firstly take note that Trisquel 8 is based on the same ubuntu 16.04 as the Dell uses so the test could not be more fair – I am not comparing apples and oranges!

Instead of two slow CPU cores running at 28% each under HP-Trisquel we now have four cores running at 20% each under Dell-ubuntu. CPU conclusion - ubuntu requires more resource.
Regarding RAM memory we can see that 1.1GiB was required with HP-Trisquel whereas Dell-ubuntu requires 55% more at 1.7GiB. Pretty conclusive I would say and perhaps the same with Mint…? Looking at it another way my ancient HP with Trisquel gets the job done fast and snappy, with the same amount of resources as the more modern Dell-ubuntu standing at idle without a single application being loaded let alone running. :astonished::smirk:

1 Like

I was intrigued by your comments on Trisquel, so I downloaded the ISO and flashed it on a USB stick with Etcher. The opening screen asked me to try the distro without installing it. So far, just like anything else. But, to my surprise, I was treated to an opening screen for Ubuntu MATE 16.04, in the wrong resolution. Any idea what I did wrong?? Any advice from anyone is welcome.

Hi @berninghausen
I’m a little embarrassed that I cannot be of direct help but trust you downloaded from the recommended source for the USA.

If applicable see also:-

https://trisquel.info/en/wiki/how-create-liveusb

@berninghausen Do I understand you right? You managed to boot into Trisquel but the screen has the wrong resolution?

If so, did you try to adjust it manually as here?

1 Like

Thanks, Mina, I know how to adjust resolution. I’ve tried ISOs from three sources for Trisquel now and they all start up normally until they get to the screen where the user can try without installing. From there, the install routine hiccups, flashes a tight orange pattern, and opens a trial version of Ubuntu MATE 16.04 in an incorrect resolution. I remember a trial version of UbuntuDD (with a Deepin DE) that did the same thing. The only thing that I can figure is that my particular machine needs one of the parameter adjustments–the only one I can remember is ‘nomodeset’–or there is some other discrepancy.
While you’re puzzling on that, I’ll try loading the Trisquel USB on my Windows game machine–who knows? it might work.

Bill

Hi all,

@Andy2:

Thanks for pointing that out. That´s the main reason I want to stick to a more resource-friendly distro.

Cheers

@berninghausen:

Alas I cannot say anything with regard to this issue.
I used trisquel-mini with ventoy and the resolution seems to be fine with me.
These images are taken from running trisquel-mini in a VM using the command:

firejail --noprofile kvm --cdrom /media/rosika/Windows8_OS/Users/rosalia/Desktop/neue_ISOs_und_anderes/für_trisquel/trisquel-mini_9.0_amd64.iso -cpu host -m 1024 -vga virtio -boot d

So resolution works fine with me; but trisquel-mini uses LXDE. No idea whether that should make any difference.
Sorry I can´t be of any further help. :slightly_frowning_face:

@all again:

Testing trisquel-mini worked quite well. With ventoy on my physical machine and also as a VM (both live sessions).
After sudo apt-get update I would have been able to install pretty anything I wanted, except for playonlinux.
sudo apt install playonlinux
wouldn´t work as it doesn´t seem to be in the repositories.
So I navigated to Downloads - PlayOnLinux - Run your Windows applications on Linux easily! and fetched the deb-file for ubuntu which I then installed from the terminal.

It worked but playonlinux threw the message

PlayOnLinux is unable to find 32 bits OpenGl libraries.
You might encounter problems with your games.

Then I installed
sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386 && sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install wine32 wine32-preloader

but this didn´t resolve the problem either.

Does anyone know a way to install playonlinux on trisquel-mini :question:

Thanks a lot.
Many greetings.

1 Like

Mina and Rosika: is it true than neither of you have tried to open a live distribution based on Ubuntu and found yourself facing Ubuntu MATE 16.04? Trisquel and UbuntuDD both do this to me. I remember one distro where I had to choose “nomodeset” or the live distro wouldn’t work right, but that doesn’t help this time. It seems to happen whether I use Brasero or XFBurn or Netbootin or Rufus or Etcher to create my bootable media.
Could it be my computer? Here it is:
bill@bill-mint-pc:~$ inxi -Fxz
System:
Kernel: 5.4.0-58-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 9.3.0
Desktop: Cinnamon 4.6.7 Distro: Linux Mint 20 Ulyana
base: Ubuntu 20.04 focal
Machine:
Type: Desktop Mobo: ASUSTeK model: P7P55 LX v: Rev X.0x serial:
BIOS: American Megatrends v: 1003 date: 07/08/2010
CPU:
Topology: Quad Core model: Intel Core i5 760 bits: 64 type: MCP
arch: Nehalem rev: 5 L2 cache: 8192 KiB
flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx bogomips: 22479
Speed: 1204 MHz min/max: 1200/2801 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1204 2: 1204
3: 1204 4: 1204
Graphics:
Device-1: AMD Juniper PRO [Radeon HD 5750] vendor: PC Partner Limited
driver: radeon v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.0
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.8 driver: ati,radeon
unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: llvmpipe (LLVM 10.0.0 128 bits) v: 3.3 Mesa 20.0.8
direct render: Yes
Audio:
Device-1: Intel 5 Series/3400 Series High Definition Audio vendor: ASUSTeK
driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 00:1b.0
Device-2: AMD Juniper HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 5700 Series]
vendor: PC Partner Limited driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.1
Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.4.0-58-generic
Network:
Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet
vendor: ASUSTeK M4A785/P7P55 driver: r8169 v: kernel port: d800
bus ID: 02:00.0
IF: enp2s0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac:
Drives:
Local Storage: total: 1.82 TiB used: 187.11 GiB (10.0%)
ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Western Digital model: WD10EZEX-00KUWA0
size: 931.51 GiB
ID-2: /dev/sdb vendor: Western Digital model: WD5000AAKS-00UU3A0
size: 465.76 GiB
ID-3: /dev/sdc vendor: Samsung model: HD502HI size: 465.76 GiB
Partition:
ID-1: / size: 915.40 GiB used: 187.11 GiB (20.4%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda5
Sensors:
System Temperatures: cpu: 46.0 C mobo: N/A gpu: radeon temp: 35 C
Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A gpu: radeon fan: 0
Info:
Processes: 201 Uptime: 20h 37m Memory: 7.76 GiB used: 3.43 GiB (44.2%)
Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 9.3.0 Shell: bash v: 5.0.17
inxi: 3.0.38

1 Like

I can’t speak for @Rosika, but for myself: It is true.

I have either done installations on virtual machines or on metal as I don’t see what I can really do with a live version, aside from repartitioning or data rescue.

3 Likes

How can you install linux without a live distribution?

I don’t understand the question. You pop in a DVD or a pen drive, boot from it and install it on the machine. Isn’t that what you do?

1 Like

Actually, Akito, it isn’t that funny. Mina just needs to understand where the DVD or pen drive gets its install files. I took a pen drive flashed with Triskel (the KDE version) by Etcher and it worked perfectly in our old Samsung laptop. That means that the problem lies with my scratch-built legacy boot Intel machine. I’m installing a VM tonight to see if that makes a difference.
I’m a little put out (polite form of pissed off) that Trisquel and others who use *buntu as a foundation can’t seem to create a live disk that doesn’t work on every computer–even Abishek didn’t understand it, either.

Rest assured: I understand that.

I actually do think that the creators of distributions and @abhishek also understand the issue perfectly:
All this is a question of the enormous variety of hardware out there. Despite all bitching from hardcore Linux freaks against it, Canonical, the company which created Ubuntu, has done an absolutely amazing job in providing hardware compatibility, but, in order to support every exotic bit of machinery, there is, you would need developers who are actually in possession of this hardware and are capable and willing to dedicate their time to work on its support.

As I mentioned in another thread, I had severe problems with my Intel graphics card and my WiFi-adapter when I switched from Windows XP to Windows 10, whilst (K)ubuntu never had any issues.

4 Likes

I apologize if you took my comment as less than polite. When I built this computer I made it as non-proprietary as I could. That’s why I’m surprised when ISOs are incompatible. Maybe the problem is that my computer is too old and too generic, since our newer laptop doesn’t have the problem. I had rather hoped that one of the more seasoned members (Akito) could explain the phenomenon. Now I’ll look for a virtual machine; that may be the simplest way to sandbox a distro. But I haven’t found one yet for Linux. I appreciate the efforts you made.

1 Like

Hi to all of you,

thanks a lot for the great input of yours. :smiley:

@berninghausen:

For me, too.

As far as trisquel is concerned: I tried trisquel-mini and this one uses LXDE (which I pesonally really want to). So I think there wouldn´t be any chance of encountering MATE.

Have you tried ventoy yet? (https://www.ventoy.net )
It uses the ISO directly. No need for the ISO to be expanded. If you encounter the same problem/phenomenon here as well I´d say it might be your computer as you suggested … :grey_question:

My favourite is qemu/kvm. I start my VMs with the command

firejail --profile=/media/rosika/f14a27c2-0b49-4607-94ea-2e56bbf76fe1/DATEN-PARTITION/Dokumente/prov_ordner/Versuche/virt-manager.default.profile virt-manager

I modified the respective profile for firejail which is a very fine sandbox indeed (https://firejail.wordpress.com/ ). Highly customizable. :yum:
That way I double-sandbox my VMs. Works perfectly and provides you with a satisfactory feeling I guess.

Some additional links:

Many greetings and a Happy and Healthy New Year to all of you.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestions.

“So I think there wouldn´t be any chance of encountering MATE.” The only thing I can imagine is that Trisquel uses a Ubuntu foundation and it’s probably MATE 16.04. If I use a ‘sterilized’ USB stick to burn the ISO image from the Trisquel ISO, there’s no other source for the MATE install–it’s contained in the Trisquel ISO.

I’ll start by giving ventoy a shot.

2 Likes

Hi,
you´re very welcome.

You may be right here.
All I could come up with is:

Trisquel[edit]

The standard Trisquel distribution includes the MATE desktop environment and graphical user interface (GUI), and English, Spanish and 48 other localizations […]

(Trisquel - Wikipedia)

Cheers.

Apology accepted. The phrase “What Mina needs to understand…” sounded very much “mansplaining”-like to me, which is something I react allergic to.

This said: All the best wishes to you and all others for the New Year!

4 Likes

Hey @berninghausen Referring to post #87 and Rosika’s first picture did you try “Check Disk for Defects” or the F6 for further options? Regarding your questioning of the validity of ISO images on whatever – LinuxFormat magazine’s DVDs seem to work flawlessly across most if not all hardware. I even posted latest issue to my great niece who is now pentesting with Kali from her Pi 400 and her trendy, trick, Dell thin thingy! As we all know this old MALE git is using old 13 year old outdated ancient – Hi Akito - stuff without any problems to run Trisquel 8 ubuntu 16.04 and THE GIRLS are using Trisquel 9 based on ubuntu 18.04.
@Mina… What about cross gender? Mansplaining…PC and women’s liberation sweeping across the planet even invading my Mech Engineering Design – women are doing it for themselves etc. More women the better in engineering so long as they have the same proficiency, enthusiasm and work ethic as displayed on it’sFOSS and don’t weaponise their femininity. I surrender :joy:
Happy :new: Year to ALL Fossers :partying_face:

1 Like

One thing for sure: Every issue women encounter is at least ten times more difficult for transgender people.

I reckon, this is a good thing.

I know, we are not supposed to talk in this forum about stuff unrelated to FOSS, but I can’t help it: I deem this comment to be (probably unconsciously) pretty sexist again, as it implies that incompetent, unmotivated and lazy women who use short skirts and deep cleavage in order to make their way are really a noteworthy and statistically relevant category.

Sorry for the off-topic intermission.

3 Likes