Advice for OS needed

My dear, nobody is trying to discredit your opinion or to invalidate your responses. I had the impression that they were very well received and taken into account, and least of all: trying to diminish the great quality of your beloved Trisquel distribution.

I also reckon that it is a good goal to diminish the use of natural resources and minimize waste production by keeping technical devices of all kind in use as long as they are still useful: We don’t really always need the last gadget.

So, in that sense: Let’s not try to find a conflict when there is none.

PS: Just if you are curious: When I did my “stress tests” with 2CPU/4GB virtual machines, I ran a JavaScript simulation for the spreading of infectious diseases (how original, these days) for 10,000 people. https://el-arenero.de/simu.php

2 Likes

Hi ALL,

thanks for this lively discussion which gets more and more interesting with each post. :+1:

@Andy2;

Thank you so much for conducting some interesting and informative tests running Trisquel.
I have to admit I´m really intrigued by now.
This test scenario of yours impresses me very much.

Highly interesting approach. Thanks for sharing. I will take it to heart and see if it (hopefully) leads me
to something great as well. :slightly_smiling_face:

In the meantime I´ve done some reading up on Trisquel as I see it might be worth taking into consideration indeed.
One thing that kept popping up though were remarks about Trisquel not containing any unfree components which of course is part of their philosophy.
On Trisquel 9.0 "Etiona" veröffentlicht - GNU/Linux.ch it says:

In contrast to many other GNU / Linux derivatives, Trisquel does not contain any non-free components, such as binary blobs, which are required to operate many WLAN adapters […]

(translated from German)

On Trisquel Gnu/Linux - ein echter Geheimtipp!! › Rund um Linux und Open Source › Gemeinschaft › Forum › ubuntuusers.de there was also a discussion going on dealing with this very subject (yet in Geman again and a bit dated).

So basically there seems to be a consesus stating there is hardware which needs those binary blobs which Trisquel won´t deliver.

Did you experience any difficulties with regard to that topic?
For me it would be important to get WLAN, UMTS-stick, webcam and printer to work of course.

Otherwise Trisquel would seem to fit the bill perfectly. :kissing_heart:

Thanks for your views in advance.
Many greetings.
Rosika :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hey @Mina as I said ……

…. so there is no conflict at all.
Dear Akito has no problems with me and fully appreciates as you do that there will never be a consensus on… Hey, I could even disagree with that…! :wink: :joy:
Akito and I enjoy a little humour and tongue in cheek banter along with forthright straight, therefore unambiguous, clear talking.
I had tried, :pleading_face: but failed so far, to tease out a response from anybody - with the loading quantified and a screen shot for Rosika et all to see.
It would be great if you could emulate my test and give a screen shot of the loading on your Bodhi OS or any OS. Perhaps we could agree some standard criteria – dropping wine applications as some people do not use this facility: LibreOffice Writer + Gimp + 6 tabs in web browser with one active video playing + full System Monitor would be easy for everyone…? Perhaps NOT Shotwell as people have differing amounts of photos?
I appreciate that is of little use, but interesting none the less; :thinking: most FOSSers do not push their hardware-OS-software to anywhere near the limit as can be seen from my little practical experiment showing very low loading. Ubuntu, Mint, MX…… anyone?

2 Likes

Hi @Andy2:

Sorry for that. :blush:
So, belatedly, here´s my setup.
I had to modify it as I don´t have LibreOffice Writer. So I took abiword (it´s lighter of course) for that.
My exact setup was:

abiword + gimp + 6 tabs in web browser (chromium) + system monitor + thunderbird + conky

All of them (apart from system monitor and conky) running sandboxed within firejail.
My system has 4 GB of RAM and an Intel Core i3-3240T CPU (Lubuntu 18.04.5 LTS, 64 bit)

CPU was running at 1% (2% according to conky), RAM at 47%.

Many greetings and Happy Christmas.

1 Like

Did you ever get a chance to follow up with the stress test of MX?

I didn’t have the time yet and I will probably be involved otherwise over the holidays.

Afterwards, I shall try for sure.

2 Likes

OK, if you want some dis-agreement @Andy2 and with your test too @Rosika, I believe both of your tests were flawed.
You can “start” many tasks, but if after getting started they just sit in memory, not using the CPU, then the CPU is just sitting there waiting most of the time.
To place your system under a “load” you have to run a task(s) or job(s) that uses the CPU.
The examples of placing the PC under a “load” and having the CPU running at 12% (@Andy2) and 2% (@Rosika) is a joke. IMHO.
The PC (CPU) were not running, they were not even walking fast! :rofl:

1 Like

Beautiful pic. A white Christmas for sure! Have a Merry Christmas.

Thanks, but the pic was actually from last year. This year, there’s no snow here under 1200 meters altitude.

Hey Great @easyt50, I take your point but as noted above I should not be able to do what I did and should have such low expectations. Any of the applications can be brought to the front and worked to stress without any problem whatsoever. :slightly_smiling_face:
Just to correct you technically the system monitor is working and the processes tab shows other stuff working as well along with the browser - this is okay to disagree with you? It should be obvious to you and anyone else; as the CPU has jumped from 3% to 12% a 400% increase and the memory quantum leap from 494MB to 809MB whilst the browser come internet connection is giving out a steady stream of exchange.

I had hoped that even an old timer having the evidential picture smacking you in your face as on OS comparator you might see the light :eyes: :joy: your analysis is flawed :rofl: and a joke :smirk:

ps If you intend to respond in a certain way do not be surprised if I respond in the same manner - I am not usually this rude. :shushing_face:

@easyt50:

O.K., agreed.
Didn´t want to upset anybody though. Sorry for any inconvenience I may have caused. :slightly_frowning_face:

@Andy2:
Thanks for elaborating on the matter. Interesting and insightful. :+1:

I´m still pondering my next move.
In the meantime I´m sure about at least one thing: if possible I´d very much like to stick to the LXDE desktop.
LXLE or Trisquel-Mini seem hot candidates. :wink:

Cheers to all.

1 Like

Aren’t we all great at comparing apples and oranges!?

As a first conclusion of all the experiments made, I reckon, we can agree on the fact that under any of the realistic hardware configurations, any decent operating system can boot in a reasonable time and allocate resources sufficiently effective to perform everyday tasks in a rather unobstructive manner.

I even know people who run Windows 10 on a simple dual-core CPU with 2 GB of RAM: Boot times are nightmarishly slow and starting an application often takes up to a minute, but once these stages are overcome, they actually can do their work, watch their films (streaming or offline) etc - effectively even far better than previously under Windows 8.

However, I still believe that comparisons make sense. It is pretty easy to push any computer’s resources to the limits. The question then is: When we are demanding a lot, is the system still responsive? Does it automatically allocate resources in a manner that that real time applications, like audio or video playback still work and user input to, say, the menus or the terminal still has priority without the need for the use to renice certain processes?

The tests, I performed and shared with this illustrious community deliberately pushed one CPU to the limit (with the simulation, but it could have also been e.g. rendering of a longer HD video or calculating the first million digits of π with a shell script) whilst the other one had to deal with the video playback and keeping the system responsive. What I failed to do, was to put memory usage to the limit. A way to do that would be e.g. trying to edit the output of systemd-analyze plot in a program for editing vector graphics, say inkscape.

My rather amateurish tests had a clear winner: OpenSUSE, but I still wouldn’t recommend it for other than enterprise uses because of its cumbersome administration which had been a quantum leap in terms of user-friendliness in the 90s but is completely outdated now.

5 Likes

@Rosika, I’m not upset nor did I mean to be rude to anyone or upset anyone.

@Andy2 just seem a little disappointed that no one took issues with his post.

If you believe your PC is working fine and you are enjoying it :smile:, let me the last one to recommend that you upgrade or replace it. :zipper_mouth_face:

IMO @Mina was actually putting her PC under some type of stress test. That’s why I was interested in the results of her testing Distro.

2 Likes

Hey Rosika,

This was meant as a warning to all :upside_down_face: but you know your own mind. :grin:
It was no trouble at all to slip DVD in tray and boot up for you. I enjoyed taking a second look at Bodhi with more enthusiasm than in February when I first took a look.
In a similar way I conducted the tests to not only assist you dispel any fears and perhaps false information but to nail this tricky subject for myself – others will have their own views as to its efficacy and rightly so. Besides I love practical tests like blasting along narrow country roads in my 190kph tilting vehicle or people trying to break my stress analysed components. However my knowledge of computers is tiny – before switching to ubuntu and it’sFOSS computers were just a another tool to me, even though SolidWorks became like a Matrix connection to my 3D brain – running under XP-Pro was of no consequence whatsoever other than its solid reliability.

I must admit that this was totally unexpected as I implied you can hit the ground running being productive with Trisquel – I connected to my HP Deskjet 2540 series printer upstairs via WiFi without problem all that was requested was the password provided by the deskjet packaging. I then set up another version to run by plugging in the USB lead, again without problem. I believe my noteboook has an internal WLAN adapter - Realtek RTL8101/2/6E which perhaps needs no blobs?
HP-Deskjet-Wifi-01

HP-Deskjet-WiFi-02

You have to turn the physical WiFi switch on first before enabling WiFi on both of my laptops.
I then went looking for the problems and sure enough found that some had issues with WiFi even after switching it on. I also just found for you the links that will help starting with the main resource:

https://trisquel.info/en/wiki/all-manuals

Then scroll down to WifI you will get

https://trisquel.info/en/wiki/setup-wireless-card

perhaps a copy and paste job below – as its all free to do whatever…

As for the modem stick – I have a ZTE stick from 3 costing £8 for 10G per month – like WiFi WLAN I envisaged no problems and had no problems. Having been using ZTE and other such sticks since WinVista days.
Oops, almost forgot; I had to use USB cable with my HP Deskjet 2540 printer- scanner to get “Simple Scan” to work though you may be able to get Simple Scan to see WiFi.
Please be careful using WiFi I was amazed that it picked up signals from many local households. And as for those free to use WiFi’s - DO NOT USE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE :skull_and_crossbones: :scream: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:
Edit: I had just logged out when I found this:

https://trisquel.info/en/wiki/installing-xfce

Trisquel 8.0
The default version of Xfce available for Trisquel, included in the Trisquel 8 repository, is Xfce 4.12.

So there is no need to have the mini version as To use it, simply choose the XFCE option in the dropdown menu of the login screen, and enjoy.

1 Like

Hi and Merry Christmas to all :christmas_tree:

thanks for a lot of wonderful posts even at Christmas. It´s much appreciated. :hearts:

@Mina:

Yes, I think so, too. And boot time is certainly the least of my concerns. I don´t mind waiting a bit longer if I get an OS with which suits my needs in every other respect. :wink:

I can certainly confirm this. That was the case with my neighbour´s laptop (HP 15-db0400ng 4PP01EA). To render it usable in the first place we had to install BodhiLinux instead; now it works pefectly without any hiccups whatsoever.

Greetings

@easyt50:

No offence taken. No need to worry, Howard.
Thanks so much for your help.

Cheers

@Andy2:

Thanks a lot for this impressive input of yours and the informative links.
These links are of great help indeed.

I looked up my WIFI card (wifi - h-node.org ):

model: Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8192CU 802.11n WLAN Adapter
does it work with free software?**yes**

Looks pretty good I´d say.

And as for my printer (printers - h-node.org ):

HP Deskjet 3050A All-in-One printer J611a
compatibility with free software:**A-Full**

I´ll keep looking for my other hardware. That´s really a uselful site. Thanks so much for sharing. :+1:

Trisquel-xfce looks fine. Yet I´d really like to stick to LXDE if possible.
So I think it should be the mini verstion still :grey_question:

Thanks a lot for your advice.

Many greetings.

1 Like

Hi @Rosika

Sorry I got my knickers in a twist over the DE :blush: :blush:
Thanks again for such kind words, as I am so shy I blush at the slightest thing. I admit that though it is so joyful to help anybody it is I who has to thank you – I would have never found all those links and information let alone gone looking for them. Trisquel can be so boring, being fuss free but hey, thanks to you I now know more about it.
I hope you grasped that my test was to disprove other poster’s comments by practical exampleI took it to be so obvious that with so little load on my system that I had so much remaining CPU and memory capacity free to play a video, music or edit text pictures etc, etc that most regular FOSSers do? I can appreciate @Mina resolving the circumference of a circle relative to its diameter or other methodology to fry the hardware it may go over the top of many readers whereas watching a video is much more understandable or doing some serious editing of a photograph with high quality settings.

You can see that I have not cheated - the video is playing. Please could others :pleading_face: post exact same with ubuntu, mint, MX whatever? Thanks in anticipation :ok_hand:
Wish I could post you those five LinuxFormat DVDs for you to play with and evaluate for yourself before installing – most if not all have the option to install from the DVD leaving you to just update – rather than all that downloading images checksum jive. Though the OSs are running live in RAM you can of course take notes and screenshots and save results to a USB memory stick for future reference as I did with Bodhi.
Please excuse my very limited knowledge about computers and their hardware. :blush:

I know that I shall receive generous help here at it’sFOSS when I take the jump and replace ubuntu 16.04 in the new year.

1 Like

@Andy2:

Hello Andy and Season´s Greetings to you as well, :hearts: :christmas_tree:

Be thanked so much for your Christmas post. I like it very much.
Thanks as well for this beautiful picture you sent me. You certainly went to great lenghts to personalize it for my benefit. That´s so thoughtful and very nice. :hearts: :slightly_smiling_face:

No need to apologize. Besides, my knowledge concerning computers and OSes is certainly much more limited. So you´re a real expert compared to me. :blush:

No harm done whatsoever. I appreciate any input of yours, so that´s fine by all means. :slightly_smiling_face:

Yes, that´s fine. But thanks for clarifying anyway.

Thanks. It´s the good will that counts anyway,
On Download | Trisquel GNU/Linux - Befreie dich selbst! I see trisquel-mini´s download is 1.2 GB in size. I think I´ve saved up enough data capacity by now so that I might download that one. Then I should be able to pack it on my ventoy-stick (Ventoy ). Ventoy is great by the way :+1: I like it very much.

That way evaluation of trisquel should be possible before installing it.
Thanks for the tips you provided.

Have a nice Christmas.
All the best from Rosika :wave:

1 Like

Thanks @Rosika – kind and polite as ever. Good to spread a little cheer and say a thank-you with two minutes on (wine) Serif PagePlus. So thanks for ventoy link which I did not know of – wow looks like every distro under the sun – except for that elusive Black Hairstreak of distros mini-Trisquel. Still, you should know where to download it from according to Trisquel’s own recommendation. It also does not appear if you search on DistroWatch - yet to be fair it does get a mention on their latest review of Trisquel 9.0 along with the KDE Plasma edition called Triskel. Also a minimal net-install option for FOSSers who are okay with building their system from the ground up using a command line interface.

https://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20201130#trisquel

Excellent review where like myself they are impressed - “really like how fast it performed tasks and how uncluttered/unbusy the desktop felt.” Mina can now access a review independent of my bias for a stable distro that just gets on with it. :ok_hand: However DistroWatch jumps onto the on-trend WLAN issue as all do; without even a suggestion to first check out your WLAN card at h-node org. You can see by comparison just how dull, dreary and depressing the screenshots are by clicking the BlackMate (DE option) – Yuk :nauseated_face: – but hey; each to their own and I know it’s on trend….! :sunglasses: :roll_eyes:
Do you have any thoughts on it now being based on ubuntu 18 whereas my Trisquel 8 is based on ubuntu 16? Can’t ascertain if version eight has an End Of Life? :thinking:

1 Like

Hello @Andy2:

How nice of you to write even on a Holiday. Thank you so much. :hearts:

Thanks for sharing. I haven´t heard of that software before but found out the following:

With Serif PagePlus you can create professional designs for e-mails, documents or even entire websites with a little effort

(from Serif PagePlus - Download | NETZWELT )
Seems to be a pretty professional piece of software. It´s great that you managed to run it with wine :+1: .

Glad you found the ventoy link to be useful. What I like most about that programme is the fact you don´t have to “create” or rather setup the USB-stick anew every time you want to add another OS.
You just have to delete the copy of any ISO from the stick (I you want to) and put another ISO on it.
It´s as simple as that. :wink:

Yes, indeed I managed to download trisquel-mini yesterday. I also had time to have a cursory look at it
using the command

firejail --noprofile kvm --cdrom /media/rosika/Windows8_OS/Users/rosalia/Desktop/neue_ISOs_und_anderes/für_trisquel/trisquel-mini_9.0_amd64.iso -cpu host -m 1024 -vga virtio -boot d

That way I didn´t have to install it even in a VM; so I basically used it as live system in a VM.
Of course what I still have to do is using it with ventoy on my physical machine to check out all hardware accessories.

This first glance was impressive I must say. :+1:
The only thing I´m not quite sure of is whether “enough” programmes are shipped with it (in comparison to Lubuntu) in order not to have to post-install too many of them.
I still have to check out this topic…

Thanks for your link BTW. :wave:

Plus: the h-node.org pages are really useful. Thanks a lot for pointing me to those ones. :hugs:

Hmm, according to Trisquel – Wikipedia EOL should be 2021:

8.0 LTS Flidas 18. April 2018 2021 [# this should be EOL] Linux-libre 4.4 MATE 1.1x Ubuntu 16.04 LTS (Xenial Xerus)

Many greetings and have a nice day.

1 Like

Unterstützt bis April 2021 indeed – better pull my finger out soon :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

This is why it’s such a small download and called mini - full Trisquel is twice the size yet still so fast.
ps: post install extra applications should be so easy, slick and fast too :+1:

1 Like