AI effects on early learning

Scientists are expressing concerns that use of ai during school learning years may affect brain development in a way that impacts on our long term health

I think we need more studies.
If improving your homework with ai leads to poor exam performance, we have a problem.

6 Likes

How is the younger generation going to learn how to solve problems if they turn to AI for an answer all the time?

3 Likes

Not only that, the brain will fail to develop fully, and that can have health implications in later life.

4 Likes

There are two types of learning. That for practical use in the everyday world and that of indoctrination for the purpose of shaping thoughts and beliefs. If A/ i is to be used at all, it should be to crunch data or be to provide practical training. Maybe it’s different today but in the olden days often experience was the best teacher. If kids are depending on A/i to give them all the answers, they will find out soon enough that it will be difficult to get by in real life.

We were all given a brain and the ability to think for ourselves. No silly machine is gonna replace it.

2 Likes

I look around over here in the district, and I can assure you, the phenomenon existed way before AI was invented. Affected older generation too :smiley:

1 Like

What AI us doing is extending the performance of our brains.
We have seen how it can find bugs in large programs that are too big and complex for any human to comprehend … that is what I mean … a large AI model can outgun a human brain at some tasks.

So … we should use AI to help us cope with humanly impossible thought challenges.
but
we should not use it as a lazy substitute for thinking out simpler issues.

Our brains do need mental exercise or they fail to develop properly. Using AI in education needs to be very carefully thought out. Used wrongly it can damage young people.

2 Likes

I think if you research this subject you will find there is a lot more than 2 and quite often it’s different for each person and quite often changes over time and subject.

Basic education is normally split into the following

Visual: Learn best using images, maps, diagrams, and charts.

Auditory (Aural): Learn best by listening to spoken explanations, lectures, and discussions.

Reading/Writing: Learn best by consuming and producing written text.

Kinesthetic (Physical): Learn best through hands-on practice, movement, and physical action.

Education is a big subject as I discover when I did my teaching qualification and I am no expert

3 Likes

There is an ancient (I learned about in early 1970’s High School psych class) animal psych experiment that sort of seems relevant - mirrored environments, w/ two kittens, one in a harness that worked a mechanical system that moved a basket containing the second kitten through the mirrored environment as the first kitten explored its own, so that both experienced the ‘same’ environment at the same time, with one actively exploring and the other just watching… The active kitten developed much better ‘cat skills’ than the watcher…

At the same time, how many new technologies have been described as ‘damaging’ to our children? (which later turned out to be much less alarming than the doom-scrollers claimed)

ex-Gooserider

3 Likes

TV for one, PC’s and PC games (gaming too much).

1 Like

The argument usually made is “use it or lose it”.
It certainly applies to old age … if you become physically or mentally inactive, you lose that capacity.

So it may be what technology lures children away from that becomes the “damage” area.

1 Like

This is incredibly sad and not surprising. I remember how my philosophy professor made us use the Socratic method in class, quizzing us on logical fallacies and games. We all hated it, especially since none of us were majors, but we learned and we learned how to critically analyze information and think on our feet. I cannot even imagine what a philosophy class in any university setting is like in 2026. Certainly, the students have read every word before coming to class!

2 Likes

I have trouble thinking on my feet. I must have missed some practising like your Professor’s Socratic method exercise. It plagued me all my working life … doing presentations was a chore. I tried various ‘cures’ , but it was too late to teach an old dog new tricks. I missed something in my youth.
I retired from research early , partly because of this. It is not worth forcing yourself to do something stressful. I was far happier farming sheep.

So yes, early learning is critical. If you miss something it may be impossible to learn it later in life. The cutoff for learning a language is about 12 years of age … after that it becomes a hack study of grammar and vocab.

1 Like

Oh, I hated every bit of it because I was incredibly nervous about verbally defending myself. Plus, I had to know the readings inside-out, which made me study something that I frankly found to be a waste of my time. Every class was like my own personal torture session. But, I made it through and it was the best way for me to learn because I used what I learned in other disciplines and eventually my job. I’m still not comfortable with public speaking, but if forced I can do it.

2 Likes

Same here.
I tried forcing myself to do it regularly . It did not work … made me worse.
Too late for me. There are other things to do.

2 Likes