Alias Error message

Good morning from Germany.

Everytime I open a terminal window I get following error message:

bash: alias: command not found

I cannot find out why I am getting this error, I have gone through calling every alias but there has been no output about an incorrect alias… so does anyone have an idea?
Ty!

Ute

Aliases need to be enabled, first. Luckily, I assume all the shells commonly used have aliases enabled by default in every interactive shell (Bash positively has this enabled by default). So this point is done.

Do you use different users?
Where did you save the aliases?

Did you avoid simple syntax errors?

1 Like

Ute.
I was getting that kind of error when I had a mistake in one of my alias commands. In my case, an unmatched quote mark caused the remainder of the bash program to appear as a long comment.

1 Like

@Ute Following up on the two previous answers: If you’re having trouble finding the reason, you might copy and paste your ~/.bashrc file and (if you happen to have one) your ~/.bash_aliases file.

1 Like

Hi Everyone,

Well I actually managed to find my mistake…but I don’t understand it…nothing new there… This is the alias that was causing the problem.

alias …=‘cd …’

I have many Aliases that help me use the keyboard in a for me that makes my life easier. If I add this alias in a terminal window it works perfectly. This alias is on line one on my ~/.bash_aliases file. Without it…no error message but works fine in a terminal…

These are the kinds of erro yesrs that can drive me mad…because I have not the slightest idea where to start looking.
I am the only user on my computer.

Have a great day!

Ute

1 Like

@Ute To be honest: I don’t know what the three dots in cd ... are supposed to mean. As far as I know, this is not a standard short notation like the single and double dots. Also, my bash (GNU bash, version 5.0.17(1)-release (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu)) doesn’t know such a thing. In order to have that work, the three dots must be defined somewhere, probably again in your .bash_aliases or .bashrc files but possibly after the problematic line.

That would explain why it works in a terminal (whatever it might mean).

Lol!!! I don’t understand that either: Actually is should just be two dots…and I don’t understand why there are now 3. In ~/.bash_aliases the alias is with two dots.
Perhaps I will try out it in the file middle…although I sure as hell hope that won’t work because if it does it just raises a new very difficult to answer question.

Ute

That’s how it’s supposed to look: