Anyone here using KDE daily?

I’m test-driving Debian 12.
Looked into KDE. I really like some of it features, but…
We have here a real multi-user environment, and I like to grant rights for users on common folders based group membership.
Of course I could use usermod -a -G, but on MATE there was a GUI for that.
I don’t seem to find a similar GUI part for KDE, or I just miss something obvious.
Is there something for KDE like th Users&Groups in MATE?
Can’t beleive I need to install gnome-system-tools into KDE to have that…

Set a umask in each users .bashrc

KDE may have a facility to edit .bashrc… I dont know… MX has one.

I’ve been using Kubuntu on my desktops and laptops for about 5 years. You can edit .bashrc using Kate, a perfectly good simple text editor.

One way to allow everyone access to folders would be to chmod them 777, but only do this if all users are trustworthy as it gives privilege to delete files. From the parent directory, using a shell as root, type
chmod -R 777 foldername

2 Likes

Thanks @nevj and @Steve_Rider !
I was thinking about this, but sadly I don’t see, how umask would help me?
Imagine a directory publicly accessible on the local computer (rwxrwx-rx)
(group1:user) Then this directory contains a subdir (rwxrwx—).
Now the user user1 is member of group1 = has rw access on the directory and tne subdir too.
The user2 is not member of group1 = has read only acess to the directory, and no access to the subdir.
Imagine user3 the same.
Now something happens, and I want user2 to have full access to the dir a nd subdir: I just add him to the members of group1.
What should I do with umask to achieve this?

Umask is global for the user… so if you set it, it applies to the users home directory, and everything below it.
So , yes, you cant use umask for your case, where you only want to limit access to the subdirectory.
You would have to set permissions by hand for the subdirectory. I think you would only need to set permissions on the subdirectory itself, not on all its contained files. That may not be too tedious, given you have a small number of users. I think it would be possible for a user to create files in their own subdirectory with any permissions (eg the default) and the subdirectory permissions would still control access by other users.
Correct me if I am in error here. It is a long time since I managed a group of users.

If you are talking about a non- home directory, then I dont understand how umask would apply, if at all. I think permissions on a non- home directory depend on who owns it.

2 Likes

There are 5 users, so not a heap of them.
It’s so damn easy and self-explanatory to put a user into a group, so allowing acces to some directories…
So I just kept gnome-system-tools installed on KDE.

1 Like

Great, so you only need to control permissions on directories, not on every file a user makes, which is what umask would do. Sorry for the false lead.

2 Likes