Assistance Requested: Need Help Resetting Ubuntu PW (or uninstalling Ubuntu) From Chromebook

Greetings, all -

I found the write-up through a Google search HERE to install Ubuntu on a Chromebook that I had laying around. The write-up was great and the installation was a breeze, but a few days had passed since the install and I cannot seem to remember the password to access Ubuntu.

After multiple attempts (and way too much time), I figured that it would be easier and quicker to just uninstall and then reinstall Ubuntu, but I am now encountering issues there also.

I have read many articles and watched several YouTube Ubuntu uninstall tutorials, but have not found any success.

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

DR3AMB0AT

Elaborate on that.
…

Thanks, Akito - with pleasure!

Here are the instructions I found:

-Press CTRL + ALT + T to bring up the terminal in the browser.
-type: shell
*-type: sudo edit-chroot -a *
this shows the name of the distribution of linux you have installed.
type: sudo edit-chroot -d name
where name is the name of the distribution you have.
press y when prompted to delete.

Below are the steps I took:

After pressing CTRL + ALT + T to bring up the terminal in the browser, I proceeded with the following steps:

• type: “shell”
    crosh> shell

• type: “sudo edit-chroot -a”
    chronos@localhost / $ sudo edit-chroot -a
    sudo: edit-chroot: command not found

chronos@localhost / $

–

So I basically made it to the 3rd step before running into a “command not found” error…

I hope that helps elaborate, but I understand if it doesn’t.

Thanks, Akito!

DR3AMB0AT

Is this the process of re-installation or what is this? I don’t quite understand what the chroot is supposed to do.

This is part of the “Uninstallation” as shown HERE, forgive me for not being clear as I never made it to the “Reinstallation” stage.

Why exactly do you need to uninstall it? Can’t you delete it or format the partition(s) during installation?

I don’t necessarily have to uninstall it, I just figured that it would be the quickest workaround to resetting the password. I am new to Linux and Ubuntu, I couldn’t find any other instructions or documentation to reset the password.

So I’m stuck at the localhost login on the Developer Console.

I don’t exactly know if Chromebook users have to take care of special, but if I would want to (re-)install a Linux distribution, I would just clean the part of the disk that I need, format that part and then cleanly install the distribution onto that part. That is basically it. No need to uninstall or remove anything, as long as you format it.

To do what I mean in a simple way, just check out how to install a distribution onto a computer. If Chromebook has a disk, it should work pretty much the same way. In the second worst case scenario you would need to extract the storage medium from the device and install the system from another computer onto this disk. Not even this operation would be that hard, though.

1 Like

The instructions on the link are pretty clear when I looked at them from the link you provided, if you follow them. What I do not understand is (nor does @Akito) why you need to do an uninstall? As far as I am aware when you do the install you are given the choice, to install alongside or to delete, during it. I know this is the case in Mint.
Also if it is just a matter of your forgetting the password to log in then this link will help https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3rbpR9uuHA - Perhaps you are overthinking it a bit which a lot of us do when we start with Linux

@DR3AMB0AT, I done maybe 25 installs over the past 6 months (for many reasons), but never did do an uninstall first. I just install over top of the existing Linux. Don’t know about Ubuntu, but Linux gives me the option (under something else) to delete the partitions and re-define them. Then Linux formats the partitions before the install. With the format, BANG!, all info of last install gone.

2 Likes

Wait, are you dual booting, putting only Ubuntu on to replace ChromeOS, or using crouton? Looks like the latter. So you run Chrome first, then run crouton inside Chrome, installing Ubuntu in that.

I tried crouton, now I dual boot GalliumOS, which is xubuntu with the right drivers.

1 Like

@Col_Panek, Dual booting using crouton is correct. I heavily considered GalliumOS, but I got impatient when trying to compare and contrast between the options. I figured that I had to start somewhere.

It sounds like you prefer GalliumOS. Maybe I should have started there.

I’ve been accused of overthinking things by many people on several occasions and it’s likely the case here. I haven’t checked your link just yet, but yes - I basically just forgot my password.

Within the install write-up, there was a quick blurb of instructions to uninstall Ubuntu if needed.

The total install took me less then 20 minutes and the uninstall instructions had far less steps, so I figured this would be the quickest option as a workaround to resetting the password.

I’ve only made it passed the developer console after initially entering my username and password upon the install. I didn’t even get a chance to play around.

The Chromebook sat for a few days before I had time to log back in and explore, but I couldn’t get past the password within the developer console.

Thanks for your help and I’ll check out the link this evening.

—
DR3AMB0AT

1 Like

Just purge whatever this piece of bread is and do a fresh install. Easy and safe solution.

1 Like

:+1: Sounds like a good plan.

1 Like

As I said it is something we all do, over-thinking that is, but it is how we learn IMHO

1 Like

Gallium now is on version 3. I’ve been doing well with 2.something, but it did have some rough edges. give it a shot, and go to their website for instructions.

crouton isn’t dual booting, it’s running a distribution on top of ChromeOS. If you dual boot, you choose legacy boot when you turn it on, rather than normal boot. for legacy, or do nothing or for normal boot. Something like that.

1 Like