Attempting to install & activate Pulse-Eight CEC adapter on Linux Mint 19.3

Hello! I copied below the requested system info into the template. I’ll fill out the rest if needed to address my question. What I wondered was this: does anyone here know whether it’s possible to install and use a remote CEC device into Linux Mint 19.3? I’m trying to control a Kodi Media Player on my Smart TV via the TV’s remote and HDML & USB connections to the Linux PC. I’ve connected a Pulse-Eight CEC adapter to the HDML cable and PC, which the CEC-enabled TV sees but claims the CEC connection/adapter needs to be "initialized’ on the PC. I’ve downloaded and installed two PULSE-EIGHT CEC-support packages from the Linux software library, but the CEC input still has no apparent effect on the PC’s video performance. Thanks for any suggestions! :<) James

Specifications

→ Add the output of inxi -Fxmz command here!
System:
Host: jperryk-AW009AV-ABA-p6200z Kernel: 5.4.0-144-generic x86_64 bits: 64
compiler: gcc v: 7.5.0 Desktop: Cinnamon 4.4.8
Distro: Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia base: Ubuntu 18.04 bionic
Machine:
Type: Desktop System: HP-Pavilion product: AW009AV-ABA p6200z v: N/A
serial:
Mobo: PEGATRON model: NARRA5 v: 5.00 serial: BIOS: Phoenix
v: 5.49 date: 08/06/2009
Memory:
RAM: total: 2.92 GiB used: 2.06 GiB (70.5%)
RAM Report:
permissions: Unable to run dmidecode. Root privileges required.
CPU:
Topology: Single Core model: AMD Athlon LE-1660 bits: 64 type: UP
arch: K8 rev.F+ rev: 2 L2 cache: 512 KiB
flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 svm bogomips: 5625
Speed: 1000 MHz min/max: 1000/2800 MHz Core speed (MHz): 1: 1000
Graphics:
Device-1: AMD Caicos [Radeon HD 6450/7450/8450 / R5 230 OEM]
vendor: PC Partner Limited driver: radeon v: kernel bus ID: 02:00.0
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.8 driver: ati,radeon
unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz, 1366x768~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: AMD CAICOS (DRM 2.50.0 / 5.4.0-144-generic LLVM 10.0.0)
v: 3.3 Mesa 20.0.8 direct render: Yes
Audio:
Device-1: NVIDIA MCP61 High Definition Audio vendor: Hewlett-Packard
driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 00:05.0
Device-2: GYROCOM C&C type: USB driver: hid-generic,snd-usb-audio,usbhid
bus ID: 2-1:2
Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.4.0-144-generic
Network:
Device-1: NVIDIA MCP61 Ethernet vendor: Hewlett-Packard
type: network bridge driver: forcedeth v: kernel port: fc00
bus ID: 00:07.0
IF: enp0s7 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac:
Drives:
Local Storage: total: 2.11 TiB used: 1.91 TiB (90.3%)
ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Seagate model: ST3320418AS size: 298.09 GiB
ID-2: /dev/sdb type: USB vendor: Seagate model: Portable size: 1.82 TiB
Partition:
ID-1: / size: 33.23 GiB used: 30.52 GiB (91.8%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda6
ID-2: /home size: 237.86 GiB used: 219.01 GiB (92.1%) fs: ext4
dev: /dev/sda7
ID-3: swap-1 size: 9.80 GiB used: 564.8 MiB (5.6%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda4
Sensors:
Missing: Required tool sensors not installed. Check --recommends
Info:
Processes: 238 Uptime: 3d 15h 11m Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Compilers:
gcc: 7.5.0 Shell: bash v: 4.4.20 inxi: 3.0.32
→ Add the output of for f in $(find . -maxdepth 1 -type f -name 'dmesg*.log'); do echo "${f}"; printf '%s\n\n' "$(<"${f}")"; done command here!

Do you know what this message means?

Hello NevJ! Thank you for your reply! I’m afraid that as you’ve suspected, I’m clueless re what you’re referring to re installing “tool sensors.” Is that a command line installation or something from the Linux software database? Thanks!

I dont know, I was asking you?
It is clearly saying there is something missing
I would guess there is some package you need to add using apt

Ubuntu 18.04 is several years old. and 5.4 is a very old kernel
You could do with an upgrade.
If you do the upgrade with all the hardware connected, it may detect what is needed and solve the issue for you.

The problem with adding hardware after the OS is installed is that it may detect it, but will not load the drivers for it unless it is plug and play. You have to find the driver package and install it. It is easier to just reinstall the OS, and you are due for an upgrade anyway.

Do a backup before any attempted upgrade

1 Like

Thanks again! That’s all GREAT advice–I’ll follow it and begin backing up prior to an upgrade! Do you recommend any specific upgrade version, or is it all an automatic process? Cheers from Colorado! James

I dont use either Mint or Ubuntu, so I cant recommend. One would normally choose the latest version, unless there are good reasons to do otherwise.

Cheers, I am in NSW, Australia.
Good luck with you upgrade.
I suppose there is a remote chance that the message has nothing to do with your problem.
We shall see. An upgrade is the best move anyway.

Hello Dr. Jackson! How did you become interested in sheep genetics? :<)) Are you a cloner like Ian Wilmut w/Dolly? If so, have you or others overcome cloning issues involving telomere deterioration, genetic misreprogramming, genetic imprinting, and fetal defects? I ask because I once was deeply involved in America’s cloning debates, etc., including once debating the issue with MIT’s Rudolph Jaenisch at the NY Academies of Science. It’s now been many years since that involvement, and I haven’t followed the field. :<) Cheers!!! James

After you backup your data and install a fresh new version of Mint and it’s not doing what you want, don’t despair, mint 19.3 that really is getting close to the EOL bone with 2023-04

Try this
If you want to after the install you still have problems with Mint you could try Fedora, EndeavourOS and/or Suse Tumbleweed mainly because of the newer kernels, see if the problem is not the other distro(s).
If you don’ try you won’t know :dizzy_face:
all have later kernels than 5.15 ((even MXLinux kde ahs) is on kernel 6.0.0) and if you can get any of the later kernels from the above 3 or 4 distros for mint all the better if your favourite flavour is Mint.

Thank you, artytux!!! I’ll look into all of these!!! Best wishes! :<) James

Hi James,
Call me Neville… my academic career is long gone… I am retired, aged 78.
I was a quantitative geneticist… not one of the modern molecular genetics team.
I started at Uni in the 1960’s, studied genetics and statistics, and found a career in sheep breeding research. Mostly about things like selective breeding, crossbreeding, what happens to populations of animals… more maths than biology

Interesting to find someone who has been involved in the cloning debate. I dont feel comfortable with meddling with DNA. I think it is way more complicated than molecular geneticists want to admit and therefore likely to have undesirable side effects. On the human side, I think there are moral issues too.

Regards
Neville

1 Like

Hello Neville,

I apologize for asking if you’re a cloner! LOL! I’m afraid that since all the genetic scientists I’ve met or studied were cloners I must have subconsciously assumed that ‘all’ geneticists must be cloners. Btw, I wasn’t a scientist and had no academic career. Before becoming paralyzed due to a 1997 spinal cord injury, I had a 20-year career first as a railroad locomotive electrician and then as a train dispatcher and rail traffic manager. The spinal cord injury diverted my focus to Neuroscience, which led to my reaching out and connecting with CNS researchers and living on Pubmed to understand my condition and research potentials for curing it. I eventually became involved in the stem cells and cloning debates when I realized the public and our government were being grossly misled and exploited concerning the scientific realities involved and their realistic medical potentials. It was an interesting experience but futile. I hope to have a more effective use of time and energy learning to operate my Linux-driven computer:<) LOL!!! Have a great day down under!!! James

Hi James,
Well today they practically are. Quantitative genetics is old hat.
I understand your situation, my wife has a spinal disability, caused by radiation.
I should have mentioned make sure your personal data is well backed up, before doing a fresh install… especially if your home directory is not on a separate partition.
You can always install a fresh OS, but your home directory is irrecoverable unless you have backup copies.

Regards
Neville

Hello Neville,

Yes, I’ve been backing up many GB of data all day prior to looking for a new distro that’s compatible with my old hardware but with a new enough kernel to hopefully include the drivers I need.

I’m sorry to hear of your wife’s spinal condition. Was the radiation exposure the result of a medical treatment or an accident? I have had some experience in discussing cord blood transfusions as an emergency means of bone marrow reconstitution for patients exposed to high dose radiation…but that’s not the same as what your wife has endured. I’m sorry I can’t offer any useful info! Best wishes for you both!!!

Regards,
James

Ps. If you’re curious, the info re cord blood for treating mass radiation casualties is on my “QuantumFires” blog on Wordpress.

Hi @me4Foss,

I been using Linux Mint Cinnamon for the past 4 years. Current version is 21.1. I am running it on both a HP desktop and a Lenovo laptop with out any problems.
Good luck with your upgrade.

It was radiation for cancer treatment. It was successful as far as the cancer was concerned, but the side effects were serious.

A newer Mint will probably do it. If not Mint “Edge” edition or MX “ahs” edition.
Last resort is a rolling release distro… that will get you a really new kernel.

1 Like

Another option after following @nevj upgrade to fresher Mint is

1 Like

Hello Easyt50!

That’s good to know re your 21.1 Mint! I also have a HP PC, but it’s older. I was thinking of loading a livetemp Fedora distro on a flashdrive to see how its kernel 6.0 works on my PC. In the grand scheme of life I guess it’s not important if I can get my CEC to work, but it’s a puzzle I’d like to solve:<) Take care! James in Colorado

Thanks Arty! I’ll look into it right now! :<) James

Neville, was the damage to her spine neurological to the cord itself, or did it damage the bone marrow of the spinal column? If to the cord, did it cause demylination or damage the neurons & neural connections? Have her doctors offered any hope for treatments? I apologize for not asking this immediately (to be sure there’s nothing or no one I know of that might help). I’m really sorry for her pain and for yours!

Best wishes!
James