Attempting to read library loans on Linux

Amazon provides the app free to anyone wishing to download it. There’s also a growing library of thousands of free books in the Kindle library. Free means “no charge,” Akito.

2 Likes

You can even return the books to Amazon for a refund. :grinning:

Wow, great, didn’t know that.

Okay, here is my best friends deal for you!

Give me ALL your passwords to ALL your online services. Every single password you have.

And you can do it all …

FOR FREE!

You do not have to pay me a single penny!

Just give me all your passwords for all your online services!

See how generous I am?

I do not charge you a single penny!

I will not even charge you a single penny!

what have these few last posts to do with the subject ?

We are talking about the possibility of reading DRMed ebooks on Linux and there were mentions of how a proprietary app is supposed to be a valid alternative when it’s not. Seems pretty on-topic to me.

1 Like

Not when arguing if FREE is FREE. No sir.

As the originator of this thread, I am sorry that it has led to some acrimony. However, I am grateful for all the interest shown and the advice offered. It is no doubt my own fault that I haven’t succeeded when following the advice.

With respect to some replies being off-topic, I think I might interject another comment. My initial post was meant to raise the issue of borrowing books ebooks from libraries using Linux. Since the answer to that seems to be that it is impossible, I was looking for an alternative. However, I thought that I had been clear that under no circumstances (unless I could get something like Virtual Box to work) would I use any of the ‘Big Tech’ facilities. Had I not been so rigid, I would have got Windows in the first place and been done with it.

If ADE were not so obstinate, they could easily provide a means to operate on Linux as they do on Windows and Mac. Failing that, and being unwilling to use those operating systems, I hoped for advice on how to evade them and still get books. To suggest that I used Kindle or google-sponsored Android misses the point.

At the moment, I have reached the unsatisfactory method of getting a cheap tablet, removing all google applications and downloading Borrowbox. That means I have a tablet solely to download books which ideally I should have been able to fetch using my Linux desktop or one of the ereaders I have tried.

Same here.
I do have a WIN7 installation just to get AZW files from AMAZON for a PC KINDLE and epub files from public librairies via *ASCM files for Adobe Digital Editions for Windows.