Beep beep : tiny computers - running Linux

OK - was a big fan of NTC’s PocketCHIP - still have mine… but hardly ever turn it on, never mind use it…

For me the bottleneck is not 512 MB RAM - it’s a single core, and stuck with either 4 GB or 8 GB of NAND (which can and does fail or corrupt easily) - and the keyboard experience was a tad sub-par :

Sharpikeebo (ShaRPiKeebo | Crowd Supply) looked like a viable option - but for the price over $250 in AUD by the time I got it here and no battery and still needed a Pi Zero with headers…

Now the beepberry comes along (https://beepberry.sqfmi.com/) - and - I’ve ordered one (less than half the price of the SharpiKeebo)! I can swap in my Pi Zero 2W and get a portable battery powered RISC Linux terminal device (with 4 cores) in a blackberry formfactor (I had a work issued blackberry many years ago and I quite liked it)…

And has a USB C port (Pi Zero is USB Micro B only [ x2]) which makes charging the supplied LIPO battery easier…

Shame there’s no stock anywhere of the Pi Zero 2W - can only be bought as a “kit” with a bunch of stuff that I don’t need, quadrupling the listed price of the board! So I’ll just use my existing one, with the USB Gadget software I’m running on there (“stock” Raspbian / Debian Bullseye for armhf / arm7l [i.e. 32 bit - even though the Pi Zero **2W** is 64 capable] running off a 512 GB SD card).

I just need to get the 3D STL files off their GitHub and get a local company to print a case for me (looks quite usable without a case anyway)…

3 Likes