Best tool to Rip cds

Like most older members i have a collection of cds which are taking up space, gathering dust, and unplayed mainly as i dont have a cd player in my current netbook.

I did plug an external player in and copy several music pieces, but of course linux just treats them as files and they come across without the data part, simply track 1, track 2 etc.

i think before i had a tool which copied not only the track but the name artist etc , or am i dreaming

So looking for suggestions as to which tool would allow me to do this process.

Over the weekend i did build a desktop machine with two cd players and installed a dj tool ^mixx^ which gave me a few hours of fun mixing but the delay between it loading the cd and playing was frustrating. I also ran two sessions of vlc which was not as much fun to see. But of course both saw the tracks as just file names.

Some 20 years back i did mobile discos with 7inch singles and turntables which put some money in my pocket and build muscle carrying a thousand singles plus equipment in and out of venues. I notice now most djs have moved on to computer based mixers but never looked in detail. Usb keys and computer drives have changed so much. Plus with music streaming…

Thanks in advance

1 Like

K3B is what I use to turn tracks into mp3’s, plus the names and the artist are kept too.

2 Likes

Depending on which formats you need supported (FLAC) Rhythmbox and Asunder are good.

Sheila

4 Likes

Thanks for the ideas will give it a try over the next few days

I use “abcde”… couldn’t be easier…

CLI…

Assumes your CD drive is /dev/sr0

I mostly rip to FLAC format these days :

sudo apt install abcde
mkdir ~/rippingfolder ; cd ~/rippingfolder
abcde -o flac

which then presents stuff it discovered from various online Audio CD databases, and offers you a choice… choose one - and let it rip…

I think I have an issue with either my SATA blueray player - or my mother board, or maybe SATA cables, but my /dev/sr0 sometimes isn’t there (which means the CD drive is offline or something)… But when it’s working abcde works just fine…

Went to rip a CD the other day - tray ejected, disc inserted, tray closed - fine… But no /dev/sr0 (or sr1 or anything else). I have a couple of USB DVD burners so I will try one of those (but they’re awful slow!).

Ideally - I’d like to remove that SATA BlueRay, and house it in a 5.25" USB 3 case - but those are getting rare… I have several 5.25" USB 2 cases for DVD / CDROM or even hard drive - but they’re all PATA…

2 Likes

I have not ripped a CD to MP3 in years. I’ve ripped to WMA and MP3 before, but the MP3s are more portable. Not all my players will play a WMA file, so I had to resort to just using MP3.

When I did my ripping I just used what was built into some version of Windows. It may have been both XP and 7.

I’ll have to give abcde and K3B a try. Hopefully my devices now support FLAC too. Better sounding even if they do take more space. Space is tons cheaper these days.

1 Like

I used to check out recorded books from the library–6-10 CDs in a box. The were usually WMA or other big files. I used Asunder to rip them, convert them to MP3s, and then copy them to a single R/W CD and play them in the car (music puts me to sleep, a book keeps me awake).

Now I can download an MP3 book directly to my phone and play it through Bluetooth in the car. Does anyone need a hundred books in MP3 on CDs?

Back to the point–Asunder may be the best ripper I’ve found. Reads the tracks, converts them to any format you can think of, files them with whatever names you want in any folder you choose.

1 Like

Running list…

• K3B
  • abcde
  • Asunder
1 Like

I have never tried a talking book … enjoy reading and a lot would depend on the voice, accent and manor of speach if excited or not.

Perhaps something to try as old age and eyesight catches up with me.

At this stage prefer music as the pictures are better

Amazing site, when asking a question wonder if anyone has same issues or solved them in other ways. Thanks everyone

I like to listen on a bluetooth headset as I take a walk. Sometimes music, sometimes books, sometimes podcasts. Good stuff.

It would be worth a listen to one of the Pete Brasset mysteries featuring Inspector Munro and DI West. The narrator used finds a number of interesting and different Scots dialects.

Not read any of his books so will add to my list. Tend now to use kindle as easy to transport and read in fading light.

1 Like

I tried it many years ago - just couldn’t do it… Too easily distracted…

I just crank up the fonts in my e-reader (currently using an iPad Mini 5th gen)…

Dan, try it while driving.