Best way to fund open source after your death

Some of us are getting older. We have savings, pensions, 401ks, cryptocurrency, start-up investments, etc. What/how is the best way to leave open source in a will? Also, which organization?

3 Likes

Good question. Would be interested to know the answer to that one myself - thanks for asking it @Jamesread

3 Likes

I donate to the Open Source Initiative, Palo Alto, CA through Amazon Smile. That would be one possibility.

2 Likes

Not sure if it’s exactly what you are looking for: https://www.givingdocs.com/

Basically, this gives you the tools to support your loved ones and causes that have been important in your life. I think this can be used to donate to causes like FSF, Open Source Initiative, Debian’s SPI etc.

P.S. Maybe I should write an article about open source organizations you can donate to. Does it sound interesting enough?

3 Likes

Yes that would be great if you could as you always make things easy to understand.

2 Likes

Abhishek, That would be great! I’m mostly interested in knowing who/what is the best FOSS to leave money to. Where will someones dollars makes the biggest difference? Like charities, I’d have to imagine there’s some piss poor places you could send money to. I don’t want people thinking you’re shilling for FOSS so mention it was a member of the community who raised the question. I don’t care if you mention my name. I don’t want the article to stain your good name in anyway. I raised the question and I’m sure there’s many others in the community who have wondered the same thing.

3 Likes