Best Web Browser for Linux Users In 2019

I see CVE and 0 day CVE regularly, I work closely with my ITSec colleagues… don’t actually recall seeing “being actively exploited” before on a 0 (or older) day CVE…

I should add - I get several emails a day from some Microsoft service we (my employer) gets by using Office / Outlook 365 - warning about vulnerabilties in a raft of products, BUT THEY’RE NEVER Microsoft products :smiley:
I’ts always “java this” or “android that” or “google chrome has what?” - but never "edge is so chock full of holes, we call it “Microsoft Colander”… :smiley:

2 Likes

I like Firefox because it is available for Linux & Windows.

Do add extensions for Ghostery to block pop-ups and
other data and get Noscript to stop scripts from
running unless you OK it and https everywhere
which will use https: where available even if you
specify http:.

For a raft of options look under the hash in the upper
right cornet and click on options.

2 Likes

i cureently use brave in 2020, best, fast , adblocker and mant more features!

2 Likes

Even through this post is rather old, I think it is Firefox and Vivaldi.

1 Like

Vivaldi is slow
I installed it once

@Ankush_Das I currently use Chrome and Brave, mainly Brave, and sometimes firefox, I want to ask that is Opera better from Brave? SHould I use Opera instead of Brave?

Personally, I don’t like Opera. So, I’d suggest you to try Brave or Chromium.

I was primarily a Firefox user but recently switched to Chromium just because I encountered many crashes/freeze while using it with many tabs opened.

Hmm, is Chromium better than Brave?

My favourite is Firefox for a variety of reasons:

Purely technical:
Contrary to what some people say, in my experience the JavaScript performance is superior to the one of chromium based browsers and so is the overall rendering quality on Linux as well as on Windows. This at least on machines with sufficient resources.
Unlike @Ankush_Das, I don’t encounter crashes or freezes, even with hundreds of open tabs. I only find Firefox to be less stable than Chrome on mobile phones.

Ideological:

• It’s FOSS
  • It’s important to have a diverse ecosystem of browsers. Firefox is the only browser besides Chrome, Safari and Edge with a noticeable market share. No niche browser will convince site hosters to take other browsers than Chrome and Safari into account.
  • The Mozilla Developer Network is overall the best resource for cutting edge web technologies. It can only survive with sufficient funding and this funding depends mainly on Google being the default search engine on Firefox. You might hate big business but sometimes it’s necessary to make arrangements to bring bread on the table.
6 Likes

The Brave browser is set for default for Linux and Windows on my machines. Some
websites do not like it though.

1 Like

Unless Brave were technically inferior, this should easily be remedied by changing the UserAgent string.

1 Like

@Mina…NAH, it works for me just like it is!!!

Yeah, Vivaldi can get sluggish.

Indeed, I had a good experience with Firefox as well. Not sure what went wrong, but lately, I’ve been having issues (even with a decent hardware configuration- 16 Gigs of DDR4 2400 MHz RAM + i5-7400 + GTX 1050ti).

I guess, about a month. So, I’ve switched to chromium. If the recent updates fix the issue with Firefox, I might just go back. I’ll test and get back here!

Couldn’t agree more! I used Firefox on my phone for a long time. It wasn’t too performant, but at least it had the option to zoom-in on a “mobile-optimized” site, so that I had the chance to read the text on the 5" display without taking on my reading glasses.
Few months ago I had to ditch FF on mobile, because it got some horrible updates, it got even slower (and my handy isn’t a top-notch device at all), handling, recalling bookmarks turned to a nightmare :frowning:
However, I never encountered a crash or such…
On desktop/laptop FF is still my #1 browser, have to admit, I use the ESR version.
We had some troubles with the non-ESR before, namely zoom/skype invite links not working.
Probably there’s a reason Debian choosed the ESR to be the default anyway :slight_smile:

I’ve read that so many times, yet, I cannot confirm it myself. I use Firefox for Mobile since I am using Smartphones (about 10 years ago), if I remember correctly.
Of course, I noticed the new update myself that everyone seems to hate. Yet, I didn’t find it horrendous at all. The only issue that everyone complains about and which I actually experienced myself was a problem with downloads. Still, it wasn’t as bad as people said it was and you had the choice to use an external download app, anyway. Additionally, this issue is fixed now, anyway.
Therefore I honestly don’t understand the fuzz about that update, at all. To me it almost seemed like an anti-Firefox campaign. There is a lot of software that overhauls the whole UI/UX on their software and rarely do I see only complaints about it and only negative criticism. I usually only see that when a UI is being clearly dumbed down and features are obviously being taken away. To my knowledge, this did not happen at all in the new Firefox Mobile UI. Actually the opposite happened: they added features and made the UX make more sense overall. And if you don’t like the address bar at the bottom, you can still put it where ever you want.

All other issues mentioned I did not experience. Except that It’sFOSS didn’t want to load on my old smartphone, at all, using this browser. Other websites didn’t seem slower to me. They were already slow before the update because my smartphone was a couple of years old. Now with a new smartphone everything is as quick as a slippery eel, when using Firefox Mobile.

Perhaps most people use too old phones and when I look at the price development over the past couple of years you can get an extremely great smartphone for about 250 bucks. So getting a new smartphone shouldn’t be an issue either.

Conclusion:
If your phone is slow overall and using Firefox Mobile is too, then perhaps your phone is at fault, not Firefox.

I actually like the new Firefox mobile browser. The previous one was dated tbh.

Brave was great for basic browsing but I got hung up accessing my own bank account. I couldnt figure out how to get around the issue. There were some other sites that were a problem - like you said - but for general browsing it was good.

Android pushed two updates in the last three months. The first one was ok but the second one really slowed down my Samsung S9. Its because slow and everything feels buggy now. I agree that often times its the phone or os over the specific software.

I use a custom ROM on my new phone, that is completely debloated.