Bitlocker USB drive

Hi. I’ve a bitlocker encrypted USB drive which I want to open in KDE Neon. In Ubuntu/MX Linux etc. it opens in a sort of plug-n-play manner: you plug in the drive and get the prompt/pop-up (GUI) to key in the PIN/password and you are ready to access it.

However, KDE neon doesn’t even recognize that a USB drive has been inserted (if bitlocker encrypted). I’ve tried installing kGPG/GNUPG, it is of no help.

Just looking for simple, GUI based solution which helps one gain access to bitlocker encrypted usb drives as soon as you plug them in.

Be advised, I’m not looking for dislocker: it requires CLI/script executions and I need a simpler solution.

Best,
Rohit

Hi Rohit,
That is not peculiar to KDE Neon. It happens in my Debian Gnome too, with normal unencrypted drives.
The only solution I found was to plug the USB drive in before you boot

Regards
Neville

Wow! Thats interesting. Let me try that right away.

Alright, that didn’t work for me.

You know Neville, ever since that Ubuntu Studio thing with my laptop, I’ve been trying to get the right OS. After trying a few, I settled down with KDE neon, because I’m too used to KDE. Otherwise, I found MX to be the most versatile, with plenty of programs, to take care of all my needs. The only issue with that one was somehow the touchpad just wouldn’t stop responding while I type (despite clicking the ‘disable touchpad while typing’ option).

I was fine with KDE but now I’ve this encrypted usb drive not be identified by the PC. If only I could just get MX touchpad to be quiet, I’ll stop this stupid/exhausting distro hopping :frowning:

Best,
Rohit

Sorry. it is a kludge anyway. We need to work out what detects plugins and what is wrong wjth it.

MX/KDE… yes i did try that. , but not in a laptop.

What do you mean, “touchpad responds while you type”?
Is it moving the cursor behind your back?
I can see that would be annoying

Cheers
Neville

LOL! haha, yes – a literal ghost in the machine! :smiley:

No, I mean the touchpad shouldn’t reach/press other icons while I type, but somehow it is supersensitive and keeps moving the cursor even as I type. Like…you’re typing and you don’t want windows/Start icon to pop open some menu/option item and it does that. Bizarre. Only in MX, in no other distro it happens.

Best,
Rohit

Can you adjust sensitivity of the touchpad? Some cursor setting maybe?
It is a pad isnt it, not a touch screen?

Neville

1 Like

Yeah…I did that but it just kept behaving erratically.

May be I should install MX along with Neon and, if and when it the touchpad issue stablizes, permanently switch over to it and get rid of Neon, later. Maybe… :thinking:

1 Like

Hi Rohit,
Yes, multiboot is one way of dealing with impossible issues like that
Neville