Bizarro SSL bullshit

OK - so - I run ResilioSync as my self-hosted cloud-sync solution…

So - I bring a PiZeroW to work, it’s running Raspbian Buster, but I’ve dropped it back to a 4.x kernel via r4ason “kalipi” subsystem… it’s basically a headless (CLI only) kali, but not directly from Kali…

Anyway - to get to the WebUI I can point a browser at https://:8888$hostname.local/ (8888 is an arbitrarily assigned port I chose) - but BOTH Brave and Chrome tell me the SSL cert is invalid WITH NO OPTION to BYPASS or IGNORE!

I can get there using Safari (I’m on my Mac, at work).

So I did some searching, and on the Brave-Browser github this is raised as a ticket… and marked “resolved” (not to my satisfaction).

How do you bypass this?

Well, unintuitively, you start typing, in the browser window, with that page running, and you blindly type (and hope you don’t make any f–king typos!) : “thisisunsafe”… Seriously! WTF???

This is going to serious FUCK UP things like access for enterprise IT people accessing vSphere and vCenter from Google Chrome!

Here’s the rub - I tried hitting the same URL using “alleged” latest Google Chrome, and Brave, on Windows 10 - and - I still got the bypass option…

That Windows 10 machine is my “corportate” controlled MOE for work… Maybe there’s some registry setting that bypasses this “feature”…

1 Like