Blog/Post How Install Office 365 on Linux

Hello

Iā€™ve already read the following post

Could you consider to upgrade or create a tutorial to install Office 365 at Linux? Mostly for Ubuntu

Thanks for your understanding

Why use or pay for Microsoft products when you have libre office for free on most Linux desktops, failing that Google offers docs, sheets etc for free on line.

2 Likes

Because exists free access of Office 365 to be installed and used thanks to my university account and is mandatory have the same format and presentation of data among other co-workers. It for Word, Excel and PowerPoint. It applies for another company about computer books too.

Donā€™t think it can be installed. Thatā€™s why the article suggests various ways of using it on Linux.

1 Like

Not tried it but if you install wine the select install one option is office but not sure on version as donā€™t use or need it.
Interesting in France the education system now recommends libre office even though Microsoft offer there products at a silly low price.

1 Like

I wouldnā€™t bother - O365 mostly works perfectly for me in Brave, Chrome and Microsoft Edge ā€œon lineā€ in Linux - I have access to it via my employer, and multiple customers - itā€™s too easyā€¦

Even the collaboration tools work seemlessly in a web browser - used it in 2020 exclusively in Linux (Google Chrome - i.e. before Edge became available on Linux) - full collaboration in DOCX and XLSX formatsā€¦

I guess Iā€™m spoiled - I also have access to it as a native application on MacOS on my work MacBookā€¦ But I really donā€™t need itā€¦

Last time I checked - most of it also works seemlessly in Firefoxā€¦

2 Likes

Donā€™t think it can be installed. Thatā€™s why the article suggests various ways of using it on Linux.

Correct, but since the post was written at ā€œ14 Jan 2023ā€ I thought that perhaps it was enhanced (I mean now is possible do the requested installation) and should be updated the article/post.

Not tried it but if you install wine the select install one option is office but not sure on version as donā€™t use or need it.

It is for my TODO list learn wine, it to use Adobe Reader PDF in Linux.

Interesting in France the education system now recommends libre office even though Microsoft offer there products at a silly low price.

I assumed the university in my country did do a agreement with MS and now all the students and professors have free access to Office 365 in peace.

I wouldnā€™t bother - O365 mostly works perfectly for me in Brave, Chrome and Microsoft Edge ā€œon lineā€ in Linux - I have access to it via my employer, and multiple customers - itā€™s too easyā€¦

Interesting, did you test that approach through those Web Browsers but on Linux, right?

Do you need a specific URL? or Do you use the MS Teams provided by your company? I mean use ā€œWeb Browserā€ to access ā€œMS Teamsā€ to open ā€œOffice 365ā€

Thanks to all for your answers - a cold beer to all

I mostly use MS Edge (the ā€œnativeā€ Linux version) when I need to use some Office tool from Linux - e.g. Outlookā€¦
Microsoft as well as MS Edge, also have a native client for Teams, I use that - I rarely use a browser to use MS Teams - however - I do use Firefox to access MS Teams for a customerā€™s separate environment (i.e. I use Teams, native client for Linux, for my employerā€™s Teams, and I use Firefox for that customerā€™s Teams environment - on both Linux and MacOS).
Yes - there is a specific URL for Office 365 - and depending what account you use to login. Usually something like ā€œhttps://login.microsoftonline.com/ā€ - which is mostly for corporate or school accounts - I think personal accounts have a different login URL - maybe ā€œhttps://outlook.com/ā€ and login there - I just tried that in Brave (on Linux) and it works.

Corporate Office 365 running Microsoft Word in Edge browser on Linux :

My ā€˜personalā€™ free Outlook.com ā€œspaceā€ :

Iā€™ve never actually tried to fire up Word or anything like that using the free versionā€¦ So - here goes :

2 Likes

Huge thanks for the valuable feedback and the screenshots!

A cold beer to you! :slight_smile: :beer: