BlueStar/Arch Linux

After installing BlueStar Linux on an old laptop, I tried to install Blender. It installed as a required package an NVIDIA Cuda package, and destroyed the BIOS. I get beeps that indicate that BIOS has trouble with video. I guess, I am staying with Ubuntu from now on. All other distros are fraught with problems. Just thought your would like to know. Thanks.

Pradip Sagdeo

2 Likes

Not familiar with Bluestar, but it is a KDE Plasma desktop with x86_64 architect.

What sort of GPU and CPU does your old latop, have…? Post 2008 laptops are generally 64bit.

I have run distros where blender was an integrated app on an old Lenovo, that did not have Nvidia, without issue. Just wondering. :thinking:

1 Like

Normally beep codes are generated when there is a problem with the computer and it is unlikely to be caused by simply installing a software product
If you give the make and model if the machine to Google search engine and ask for beep codes it will identify what is wrong … memory, drive etc
If desktop take the graphics card out if separate and change it or use the built in one if available
Or reinstall the system and see what happens when you boot from USB if it’s still beeping the codes will tell you what but hard to screw a bios

1 Like

Well, it looks like the motherboard is dead. I have two different hard drives with Windows 7 and BlueStar Linux. Neither will show any display despite hard drive activity indicating that the machine is trying to boot up. No beeps of any kind either after the first reboot after installing Blender on BlueStar Linux. RIP Toshiba Satellite A205. I will perform an autopsy to find what killed it. Thank you all for your responses.

Pradip Sagdeo

1 Like

It appears that the machine died of old age. No sign of any short circuit or physical damage. I guess 11 years is longer than I should have expected it to live. Case closed. Thanks.

Pradip Sagdeo

1 Like