Boot problems new install mint on hp laptop

If you would try and put W10 back on the HDD, you will then, or should be able to build Linux on the SSD. Windows will put the needed ntfs drivers, after Linux is built you can then pull the drives and change the the boot order.

1 Like

Linux mint works if i select recovery mode no problem, but then after i run fcsh, clean, dpkg from the recovery, no problems, goes into linux mint no problem and displays ok.

Restart

Back to either lines on the screen or really broken display

Restart
Into recovery runs fine

Not sure which part of the grub controls the display so i could capture that bit, put it in the normal grub startup and test that

It is not grub.
It is something that is different between normal mode and recovery mode.
Grub hands over control,at the grub menu when you boot a kernel.
Is recovery mode the same kernel as normal mode?

1 Like

How do you find kernal mode and can you see its content or change it or change which one if different it points to

So what does Nomodeset do then as you can add a line to specify radeon in that line

Solution
Linux mint debian version
Works fine

Not sure what the difference and what is added or taken away in lmde against ubuntu source.

Its only the second time i have tried lmde but as it looks and feels the same as cinnamon perhaps will go more down this road against mate which is my usual prefered version for historical reasons as it works normally on older kit.

Been a learning experience but glad its over

2 Likes

Under Advanced/Recovery in the grub menu, you should see a list of all available kernels, for each of which it offers normal or recovery mode. There may only be one kernel in a fresh install.

Is that what you mean?

The first answer says it all… it stops the kernel from trying to set your video parameters and falls back to xorg.conf.

2 Likes

LMDE probably has an older kernel than Mint.

Congratulations, a win for persistence

1 Like