Boot problems new install mint on hp laptop

I have installed a copy of linux mint 21.3 on a hp laptop hard drive, something i have done many times.
Everything went as normal, did the updates, installed chromium and vlc… no problems
But when i try to reboot after doing all this the system just hangs with nothing on the screen.
Erased the disk and repeated the process in case it was me and my error.
Same again
Got another iso and a further usb to repeat the process
Same issue on reboot

Then i tried the advanced option repair
That allows me to get to the correct desktop as normal
Tried the options for dpkg, fsch, clean etc
Tried drivers missing none

Still will not boot normally have to use repair reach time
I must be missing something but just cannot think what

Help please

If you can get the grub menu, but not the login screen , there
are 2 possibilities

• the login manager has a fault
  • X11 ( or is it Wayland) has fault

That is not much help on its own.
but
you say you can start your desktop if you go into advanced mode, do a console login, then do startx ( or whatever) by hand… therefor X11 is OK… it must be the login manager.
so
do a test
while in advanced mode, can you start the login manager?
The login manager is normally a daemon… there might be some problem getting the daemon to start at boot time.
If you can start it by hand, that will prove it.

2 Likes

Sounds like a graphics card issue!!!

2 Likes

@Daniel_Phillips

You mean this

and

If that is the case, why can @callpaul.eu start the DE in recovery mode?

2 Likes

More than likely, the recovery mode is using a different graphics driver or a different version.
I would try a Super Grub 2 CD and see what and if I could boot from, it might get one in the front door and do the sudo apt update.

2 Likes

Sounds like the kind of problem that is caused in the BIOS or when trying to dual boot.

I think the big ? is what this laptop was running before it met Linux. Boot it with a Mint cd and do a lspci and a lscpu and see what is under the hood.

1 Like

Ok bit more information, but first thanks for your many replies and looking at my problem

When installing i do have to select compatability mode to get the usb key to start up ready to install, so i think you are correct in a graphics card issue.
But once the install finishes i check the system to see if any additional drivers are needed for screens etc, nothing appears.

Before it was running windows 10 but lacked the tpm to allow it to move to 11

The machine has 2 disks one being 128 gb, where i am installing the system which is ssd, the second disk is a 1tb, hard disk.
I have tried installing on both disks in case that was the issues but booting to either gives me the same problem, standard opening gives blank screen, advanced option and recovery repair takes me to the option to resume, after that everything runs fine.

Going to try some of the suggestions given and come back once done that
Thanks everyone

2 Likes

One thing is definite… it is something that happens during boot, that does not happen during normal running.

1 Like

I had a similar issue with a Dell laptop a few weeks ago!! I also had wiped the HDD but Linux refused to install, my issue turned out to be a missing HDD driver, I used diskpart to delete and clean all partitions, I then created a ntfs partition, and reinstalled W10, I did not use the entire disk for W10, I was then able to install Debian, I then deleted W10 and moved the Debian partitions.

1 Like

Bad to worse

The ssd now decided its empty, no system. So tried to re install mint on it. Gets so far on loading files then just hangs with no message. Tried another usb and same again but at a slightly different point this time i get time out error but never gets past that.

Thought the solution would be just ignore ssd and boot direct to hard disk which also has mint on it

But the bios will not see the hard disk it only offers the ssd
Tried all combination of secure boot and efi options and still says no boot record found

How can i get it just to boot to hard disk and ignore ssd

Thought about physically removing ssd but the case is impossible to open, no screws just prise apart and if the bios is not seeing the hard disk now may not be a solution

1 Like

Can you boot gparted from a flash drive?
Can it see the HDD?

If the HDD does not have any partition with a boot flag, some
BiOS’s will not offer it in the boot menu.
The solution is to get gparted going, and put a boot flag on
any partition on the HDD… it doesnt matter which partition.

2 Likes

I can see a usb no problem
I can see the 2 hard drives
I have selected repair, i tried restore,
When trying the install i get read errors but it does not say where or what just hangs
Tried another usb in case error was on one
Tried formatting the hard disks that went ok
Both hard disks check and say fine no problems

This was using mate 21
I am currently trying to download cinnamon and lmde

Will try install from them next
And post the results

Never had this issue before on any machine and done more than i care to mention but this is the first with both ssd and hard disk not sure if that is connected or something in the bios i cannot see to change not sure if the tpm for windows makes a differece

@callpaul.eu
If I were you I would reinstall W10 and try a dual boot or use VirtualBox to run Linux.
I have a Dell laptop with two drives, you could try and pull one of the drives and see if Linux will install, use the HDD first, and see what happens.

1 Like

Try GParted -- Live CD/USB/PXE/HD to plug in a boot flag. Use Etcher to make a bootable flash drive.

2 Likes

Going back to windows is like a major leap backwards, i dont have or want a copy in any format of windows and i flatly refuse any work on installation of windows. Except i do have a dvd but made it into a clock but it was 98 !

Good news is the disks are now accessible, booted from a mint usb, went to disk option and formatted on fat instead of ext not sure why that works better for a linux box.

Created a new usb with mint cinnamon instead of mate and ran install onto the ssd. That now boots the hard disk mounts as a data drive.

But the screen after the lm splash logo disappears goes black. Except if i do recovery.

Discovered its a radion graphics screen driver. But there is nothing in drivers to update. Tried installation of drivers for this but lost the plot and got know where.

Suggestions based on screen drivers for this appreciated

1 Like

Now it goes blank AFTER the login screen.
It is not consistent.
That is a hardware problem.
Trade it in.

1 Like

Not telling you to go back to Windows, this would tell you if the hardware is at fault!!!

1 Like

Continuing with cinnamon
It now brings up the normal scrèen for about 5 seconds then starts to go fuzzy and has display lines on screen as if the rate of display is faulty like running at 100 hz instead of 50 hz

Next step is to try
Nomodeset

Dont think faulty display or hardware as in recovery mode everything is fine

Bizarre
Amd radeon driver update direct from there site and changed nomset in grub
Reboot
It worked
Then did the update to the system
Reboot
Stopped working

So now installing lmde to see if that uses something different
Looking more and more like faulty hardware