Can a live windows dvd be made and how?

I use (or did use) remmina constantly, daily, to connect to RDP jumphosts at customer sites, over their VPN, or my company’s…

It just “worked”, never had any issue with it… Even with some fussy servers at the other…

Remmina handles certificates much better than rdesktop…

2 Likes

Yeah, and making a bootable Windows.
I doubt if one could fit a live Windows on DVD today. It woukd have to be some sort of compressed image, like an iso or img file.

W10 Home still fits on a DVD but I doubt if W11 will, and I know W10 Pro will not. I just use plop the ISO onto a Ventoy USB or mount the ISO from within Windows. I Always keep a back-up of W10 on a external drive, just in case I mess-up.

1 Like

@4dandl4
I have W10 dvd that is my original distribution. It is gone from my hd long ago. Can I install it onto a USB drive?

You can clone it with anything that works like dd.

What about a windows recovery dvd. Can I clone that?

You can clone any DVD, as long as its a literal 1-to-1 copy of the original medium.

Yes, but a recovery dvd is not an install. Can I reinstall from it onto a usb drive and make a running windows on the usb drive?

You cannot make a running portable Windows of any installation medium.

I thought so. There will never be a Windows version of Knoppix.
Thats one win for Linux

Of course, there won’t be, because that would downgrade Windows into something almost useless.

No. Not being able to break Windows into something almost entirely useless is not a “win” for Linux.

And I think you do not realise that we already have Windows to Go since years…

You are right… never heard of it.

Knoppix is far from useless

It is almost entirely useless.

If you need a live medium, just use Ubuntu Live or one of the greater live distributions.

If you need an installed medium, there are plenty of better alternatives.

Knoppix is a nice joke gadget for fun, to rub someone’s nose with it to annoy them, but it’s essentially almost entirely useless.

What you described, my dear, is some steps of a troubleshooting process in your fantasy, not a workflow.

A workflow is like

• Go to client, or an event of which the client wants to have some pictures.
  • Shoot the required pictures, footages.
  • Go home, and import the footages, pictures.
  • Process those raw materials with appropriate softwares.
  • Give the client the processed material.
    That’s a workflow.
    (I could go into detail what softwares process what, but I won’t do it now.)

So you could not be more wrong in any aspect of your list.
During my life I used quite a lot Windows versions starting from 3.1.
The first I really enjoyed was NT4.0. The most I liked was Windows 7.
I started my current business around 2010. I bought softwares piece by piece, those were hard times.
Approx. in 2015 (I’m unsure of the year) I had Windows 7, and Photoshop CS2.
I had other softwares too, but I mention Photoshop, because it costed a big heap of money for me before. So around 2015 the CS2 started to behave weird, erratically vanishing, self resizing windows, dialogs, and such.
I could track down that it was a Windows update, that changed something, which broke my Photoshop. In Windows 7 I had the option to select the updates which to install, and which NOT to install. Until the last times I spent with Windows 7 I maintained a list of updates, which would brake my Photoshop.
Later I had to move to Win 10 after HW upgrade (it was a ‘can’t remember Gigbyte’ motherboard with Ryzen 5 - 1600), the that time new motherboard did not have correctly working drivers for Windows 7. Win7 was approaching EOL anyway, so I decided to move a bit earlier.
Needless to say, my Photoshop was inoperable on Win10 since the beginning, so I had purchase an upgrade, which then worked. Otherwise the older Photoshop’s functions were completely sufficient for me.

Apart from that it was impossible to permanently uninstall Candy crush saga, and some other default games stealing space from useful stuff, Windows 10 worked well - initially. Then somewhen Windows found new driver for my Radeon card, and it installed it on its own, among other updates. That happened as usual, the spinning circles showed up in the morning, telling me don’t switch off. An extra coffeetime, no problem, I already got accustomed to it.
And then BANG, all of a sudden, video post production software lost GPU acceleration. With Windows 10 Home I had very few options to select which updates I want and which not. Removing the drivers completely and reinstalling the well working older drivers solved the problem temporarily. Every 4-5 weeks the phenomenon repeated itself.
Since 2012 or so (again, I’m unsure of the year) I started to experiment with Linux, tried different distros.
In my Windows 10 time I had my desktop dual booting with Linux Mint MATE.
Despite having an SSD for the system, Windows boot up time increased constantly. I tried to move my activity to Linux, as it worked way much faster and snappier on the exact same hardware. When I was in hurry, I booted up Windows, not because it worked some faster -the opposite-, but I was very familiar with it, and knew exactly how to achieve what I want to achieve. When I was not in hurry, I tried to work on Linux, looking up the way how I can achieve what I want. Interesting fact is that Photoshop CS2 worked flawlessly on WINE, whereas on the real Windows it was a mess… :smiley:
I started to really hate Windows 10. Started to like Linux every week better.
Just the video post production tied me to Windows, I did not know a really usable Linux video editor, which would fit in my workflow.
And then I met Davinci resolve…
So what I lost ditching windows:

• compulsory updates
  • of which some breaks critical things for me
  • of which sometimes causes severe startup delays in the morning (circles…)
  • compulsory installed games
  • next-next-next-finish type installs :smiley:

What I got from Linux, especially after moving to Debian:

*install updates only when it’s comfortable for me
*no boot up delays in the morning (current cold boot time from power switch to fully loaded desktop: 23 seconds, excluding the time for entering credentials)
*after correctly set up according to my needs, it just works; every day, any time; just boot up, login and go.

So what you suggest in your “guess” list, is not true. It’s huge bullshit. It’s a lie.
The opposite is true.
I admit, there are tasks where Linux falls short because it lacks the software for that specific task, but I had my adventures with Windows, and thanks, I’m fed up with it. Please quit spreading this bullshit that Linux GUI brakes every day.
It’s simply false.

1 Like

I assume many use Windows without major problems. On such forums only problems get attention, but that’s true for Linux too. Like over here, I don’t know the number of people NOT having problems with their Windows-based computer, I know only those approx. 2, who find me in a month to have their problems fixed…

I actually had this type of troubleshooting a couple of times until I had enough of it. The workflow I described resembled all the times I had to horse around with graphical issues.
Even when everything worked, I still had to reconfigure the multi-monitor setup – when trying to make things work in Linux, it’s like talking to a child about quantum physics…

First of all, there is only software. No softwares.
Second of all, this workflow works perfectly fine on Windows, except you want to use Linux-only software for whatever reason.

I could be like you and say it’s a “lie”, but I won’t do it, because I admit, as opposed to you, that I don’t know your situation back then. Maybe that was the case, maybe not. I doubt it, but I do not know. :wink:

Yes, EOL products usually do not receive recent drivers. It’s normal in the Linux world, too.

There is a compatibility mode in every Windows version, which allows you to run software, as if it would be run on an obsolete Windows version. (This feature is not available on Linux btw.)
That said, Photoshop CS2 was already SUPER old when you bought it. So, you cannot really blame Windows or Adobe or anyone for it.

Why? Was it Home Edition? Yes, Windows 10 Home Edition is garbage. I agree. But if you get Pro or Enterprise, you will have no trouble.

Well, I don’t know your situation back then, so I cannot know, if that is true, but I extremely doubt it was like that. In all these many years that I have used Windows, from XP to Windows 10, I have not seen a single time Windows Update installing some driver, where I already used the official one from the website. It just never happens, ever. Are you really sure, you had the official driver from the website installed?
I can only imagine this happening, if you never used the official driver from the website, but let Windows handle the situation.

Yes, I did that too, a couple of years earlier. I tried out all popular and many niché Linux distributions. I probably have tried at least 30% of distributions on DistroWatch. I was really a distro hop fanatic back then. Which is why I have at least minimal experience with any slightly popular distribution, you can think of.

I was there, when Slax was only based on Slackware. I was there, when Peppermint was based on Ubuntu. I was there, when Trinity Linux was still maintained!
Good old times.

Yes, my boot process with Windows 10 takes a long time, too. But it does not matter to me, because I never notice. It happens when I’m busy for a long time, anyway, so it has all the time to boot up. It’s worth this long boot time, considering Windows works so well, compared to Linux GUI. So, no problem. :smiley:

It booted quicker for me, etc. but the graphics issues were just killing everything. I always had this bad gut feeling when being in Linux. Everything felt so unfinished and wobbly. You could never be sure, when the next disaster happens…

Plus, if I used the wrong graphics settings, then my whole Linux GUI would lag with like 2 FPS. Ah, what great performance. :smile:

Yes, when you mentioned CS2, I immediately thought of that. Extremely old Windows software works really well on Linux. It’s really great and I appreciate that. However, sadly, this is mostly the case for extremely old software, like your Photoshop CS2, which was, as I previously already mentioned, already EXTREMELY OLD when you purchased it the first time.
Now, with Proton, there is finally better compatibility. Proton is made by a company doing a lot of proprietary stuff and even literally creating DRM for games, though I think Linux people don’t want to hear that – HARRUMPH

Why emotions? It’s just an operating system.

Photoshop CS2. Not some actual software, which is up to date, secure, etc. And I still doubt, it was precisely the way you describe. Though, I cannot know about your situation back then.

Linux has updates, too. It’s just that Windows does it automatically, so you can save time. With Linux, you have to think more about Linux, than your actual work… :smile:

Can be uninstalled, for example with many open source tools, which remove shit like this.

Still less work than fixing anything on Linux GUI.

That is great. Linux should have that too.

Have fun with security issues, which for example happen all the time in end-user software, like browsers for example.

Why not boot up 10 minutes earlier? I really don’t get all the talk about quick boot ups. If you don’t constantly reboot your PC, then boot up times do not matter…

How many years did setting up take?
I personally never finished completely setting up, in years.
My friend is a bigger expert on setting up Linux GUI than me and he still needs at least 4 weeks to set it up properly. 4 weeks is minimum by the way. :smile:

Halleluja, there is a god. You said one sentence, that is more honest than all your others. Congratulations. :clap:

I also would like you to stop accusing me of lying, when you have still provided no evidence for your claim. I also do not have a reason to lie. If Linux GUI would work, as you say, I would literally use it.
Do you really think, I help people with Linux on this forum for years and use Linux all the time, every day in my life, except Linux GUI, but just want to talk shit about Linux GUI for no reason? :rofl:

found this reference to the question How to Create Windows 10 Live USB and Run It Easily (2 Ways)

good luck

Thanks. That looks interesting. Looks like I have to install Win10 to do it. ie cant do it from the install DVD or a recovery DVD.

Dunno if this is relevant - but on some laptops (not necessarily cornerstore shop South Korean or Taiwanese motherboards - you can get your OEM windows back :

╭─x@titan ~/bin  ‹main*› 
╰─➤  cat get-win-shit-info.bash                                                                                                 2 ↵
#!/bin/bash
# query bios/uefi for MS Windows license info : 
sudo strings /sys/firmware/acpi/tables/MSDM

Note : this works on my Thinkpad E495 - but doesn’t exist on my destkop tower system…

Pretty sure I’ve done this before (not with a legit ridgy-didge license but) - but “burned” Windows 10 or 8.1 to a USB thumb drive…

DON’T ASK ME HOW! It would have been over 5 years ago, when my house was still plagued with the poxy curse of Windows…