Can a live windows dvd be made and how?

Can a live windows DVD be made and how ? I’m running Debian, but need to be able to access a VPS running windows.
The only thing is my pc does not work with the default RDC the VPS uses and trying with the default Debian package does not work at all, I tried it already.
Does anybody know where I could pay someone a small fee to have one made ? I tried to do it before with Linux, but the web instructions just did not work for me and I have very bad luck with USB drives, so a dvd is required.

If I recall it correctly, you are looking for Windows to go? Google for it, or ask our Windows expert, Akito.
Did you try Remmina on Debian?
Alternatively, if you set up a virtual machine with Windows installed on your Debian, as host… hmmmm… :smiley:

I forgot about Remmina, but does it function the same as windows RDP ? Could I see the remote VPS desktop, the same as with windows ? Remmina is ready to go, no need to install any other software packages ?

Remmina is another RDP client. Without actually trying, I can’t say for shure it will work for you. I used Remmina few years before, I could successfully connect to Windows 7 professional. Since I moved completely to Linux, I did not use it. I think it worths a try.

https://www.addictivetips.com/ubuntu-linux-tips/connect-to-remote-windows-pcs-on-linux-remmina/
Maybe this helps you a bit?

I’m not an expert on Windows. The thing about Windows is, you don’t need to be an expert of anything to get shit done on Windows. :wink:

You need to fix your USB issues. Even if you could run Windows to Go on a DVD, it would be way too slow. A USB stick is already slow enough. A DVD would make it pretty much unusable.

1 Like

Ok, thanks. Can a VPN be used in conjunction with Remmina ?

Before going into this, I would first question your plan in the first place, by investigating what your actual issue is. I did not quite get it from your previous posts, yet.

Remmina naturally needs network connection. I don’t think it cares for the connectio type. So I’d say, yes, it should work over VPN as well.
I regret I can’t try things for you, as I don’t have any Windows computer to connect to.

Thanks, I’m not all that familiar with the issue as I have not used it before and only used a VPS many years ago, but it is system-wide not just the browser.

VPS stands for virtual private server, basically a computer you can rent from a hosting company. Are referring to such a server?
Or do you mean VPN [virtual private network] which means basically a tunnel into a LAN somewhere. Say, your office has a LAN, also connected to the internet. Via VPN you can connect your home computer to your offices LAN, so that it looks like your computer was in your office.
VPS != VPN
So which we are really talking about?

@Akito
I always pegged you for a diehard Linux user??? Are you running W10 or W11?

1 Like

Recently, it became apparent to me that some people here apply insufficient logic to my expressions or sometimes twist words on purpose.

What makes you think, I’m not using Linux?

I use Linux all the time, every day. I just don’t use Linux GUI, because it is utterly & inherently broken.
So, I said, that Windows just works, because it does. You don’t have to do anything. It just works. On Linux GUI nothing really works or when it works, it does not work well.

2 Likes

So do I!!! I also use Windows, because it just works.

3 Likes

I did quit using Windows (10), because it screwed up my workflow many times.
Apart from that it worked.
Now I use Debian MATE. It just works. :wink:

Let me guess your workflow.

1. Find the working driver for your graphics card. Not all versions work. Depending on the Linux version, you need to use a different (of course, obsolete) graphics driver version.
  2. Later, you need to update the graphics driver, because Linux had an update. So, to keep it compatible, you need to upgrade the driver, too.
  3. Finally, upgraded driver, after so many hours of trial & error. It is upgraded, but now there is only a black screen with a blinking cursor. Reboot.
  4. Reboot did not work. Add GRUB boot option for the operating system: nomodeset. Reboot.
  5. Reboot worked, you can log in now. But there is no GUI. You can only log into the console.
  6. Log into the console to enable graphics drivers in a clean graphics settings environment. Reboot.
  7. Rebooted and GUI is back again. Yay!
  8. Log into GUI and… oh, crap, all monitors have lost their settings. Monitor and graphics card configurations are all gone. Now, you need to set up the graphics configuration, once again.
  9. Finally, everything is fixed. You can start to work now… Oh, crap, 12 hours went by and you didn’t even notice. You basically can go to bed soon, anyway.
    You need to do today’s work on the next Saturday and skip family time, because Linux did not disappoint your workflow.

I know, if you have such a workflow or one that resembles such a scenario, then Windows will always disappoint you. It cannot have such a workflow, it just doesn’t happen with Windows.

So, you obviously debunked how well Windows works. Damn it, Windows, why do you support graphics cards and their drivers without issues?!?!

1 Like

Has anyone had experience with Venmoy?
I never used it, but saw a quick instructional video that indicates that a persistent USB can be created with a Windows ISO.
That said, persistent USBs with Ubuntu/Debian based systems are very easy. If you have a problem with USB, it MIGHT be a collision with 32 vs 64. That was why I could not boot into my live USBs on an old laptop.

1 Like

Been running W10 since 2015, through all the builds and feature updates, have had very few issues.
Have it booting now with W7 and PClinux, which is going to be replaced or discarded, due to Nvidia driver issues.

Never heard of Venmoy but I do use Ventoy?

2 Likes

I think you mean Ventoy.
No experience but I read good reports

My personal perference is to make a full linux install on a USB drive, rather than use an iso image. Then youncan alter it , add user data , or even do an update. Uses more space , need at least a 32Gb flash drive and usb3.0 is better

lol :grin:
But then, wsn’t this thread about booting from a DVD?

1 Like