Can I please get help regarding the CentOS replacement

Hi,I noticed centOS7 is been replaced by the following OSes ROCKY/SPRINDALE/OEL/ALMA so can I get help to know which one is compatible with and it won’t format my info?

I wouldn’t call OEL a replacement for CentOS… Dunno anything about the others (“sprindale” or “alma” never heard of either)… Oracle Enterprise Linux is based off Red Hat, but they default to their own kernel UEK (unbreakable enterprise kernel) which “breaks” on HyperV… I’ve nothing against OEL, it’s quite good, and I can’t think of a good reason not to use it. It’s been going since at least OEL 4 or so - and it’s versioning compares with RHEL’s (and CentOS’s)… e.g. OEL 8 compares well with RHEL 8, and both are driving the use of DNF to replace YUM. A very compelling case for OEL arises if you’re running on Oracle hardware - you get free support that you get with your hardware, for OEL running on Oracle hardware (yes, they make x86_64 servers as well as Sparc servers).

These days a developer license (free registration on Red Hat) will get you up to 16 instances of Red Hat Linux - for free, that you can subscribe to RHN and get updates from RHN… If you’re running RHEL in production, then maybe not a good choice, to learn the ins and outs of Corporate Linux, I’d recommend going ahead and gettting a developer license (free to register) from Red Hat.

Pretty sure “Rocky” is the “official” sanctioned “free” replacement for CentOS… So - by all means use that if you’re that way inclined.

Note there’s another HUGE player in the “based on Red Hat” Linux distro market you don’t hear about often : Amazon Linux, sometimes called AMZN Linux. I’d not recommend it unless you were running an EC2 instance, then I’d recommend it over ANY OTHER choice to run a workload, in AWS EC2. And if we’re talking about RPM distros in general, there’s also, obviously, Fedora, the bleeding edge of Red Hat land…

1 Like