Can not boot into POP_OS

Hi everyone,

I’m sorry if my vocabulary is limited, I haven’t done many research on this theme yet, but I’m desperate.

So earlier this year I installed POP_OS 20.04 to my laptop using a USB drive, which has Windows pre-installed on it when I bought it. And it all went well, I have been using both OS, but mainly linux, without any trouble at all.

Until a couple of days ago, I decided to update my operating system to POP_OS 20.10. At first it was going as planned and I even used it the next day after shutting down my computer. But then two days after I updated the OS, I couldn’t seem to boot into my linux OS. I set the linux OS as priority, so when I turn my laptop on, it directly boots up POP_OS. But this time it opens the Startup menu (HP startup menu) and when I choose to boot into POP_OS again, it just reboots into the firmware interface again and it seems to be stuck there.

But I can still boot into my Windows 10 and it all works fine. I don’t know if it has anything to do with the fact that I just updated my OS or not, because I haven’t done anything out of ordinary other than that. I also checked my whole laptop and it doesn’t seem to have any hardware issue or anything. It seems like the bootloader doesn’t recognize the POP_OS as an operating system that it can boot into. Also I don’t really know if it’s an important information, but in the BIOS setup, my POP_OS version is still 20.04.

I have no idea what to do and I don’t know if I’m able to boot into my linux again or not. I also have looked on the internet and it seems like nobody has the same problem as I do, after updating their OS to POP 20.10.

Can someoen give me a hint or maybe an advice on what I should do, because I have no clue.

Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

Greetings,
Devi

1. Make sure your files are backed up properly.
  2. Re-install the OS, as you already did before.

That’s the easiest solution. Other restoration options are more difficult to apply.

1 Like

Okay, thanks for the advice :grinning: