Can't Access Ubuntu Software

HI all, i’m using ubuntu 22.04 on a new mini desktop but can’t access ubuntu sofware, I need to remove a package, has anyone got this problem or an answer to it? Many thanks, Ray

I am not running Ubuntu, but a search on the web I found this.
Ubuntu Software Center Not Working? Here Are the Fixes - The Tech Edvocate.

2 Likes

Hi @raymond, :wave:

I´m not sure if I understood your problem correctly but if you want to remove a package from your installed system you could do it with the help of the terminal with the commands:

sudo apt-get remove [package name]

or

sudo apt-get remove --purge [package name]

The latter (with the --purge option) is like remove, but the associated configuration
files (not of the user) are deleted as well.

I think you can also use apt instead of apt-get.

Hope it helps.

Many greetings from Rosika :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Thanks for the info Rosika but my problem is that Ubuntu software does not respond, I get the window but all the info is missing if I use the commands you suggested it says"unable to locate package ubuntu and unable to locate package software" It seems I have the icon only.

1 Like

Many thanks for the info Howard, but all the steps you mentioned don’t work, something else is going on, it’s as if I have the ubuntu software icon only.

Hmm, I see.

Have you already looked at [Solved] "E: Unable to locate package" Error on Ubuntu ?

Cheers from Rosika :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thank you Rosika, but got into Abishek’s descriptions and got lost because the results I was to get did not work, so will leave it for now, and appreciate your help Rosika.

1 Like

Have you tired the monkey wrench method?
Make a bootable USB and see if you can get at the files that way.

1 Like

Hello @raymond

Ubuntu Software Center often acts weird.

It may not show any installed apps and will only show a few available apps to install sometimes.

And at the next boot, it works normal again. I haven’t found a fix for this (in my opinion) caching issue.

Does your issue persist even across multiple reboots?

Good morning Abhishek, you are absolutely right, after all the inputs that I got from many good It’s Fossers and getting nowhere I booted up this morning and there it was working fine, I had rebooted a few times yesterday with no results. I want to thank you, Rosika , Howard and Terry for all your good help, I don’t get into trouble with Ubuntu much anymore but when I do I REALLY appreciate It’s FOSS, great that you are there.

2 Likes

You´re welcome. But I´m sorry I couldn´t be of some better help.

Have a nice day.

Rosika :slightly_smiling_face: