Changing default search to Google in firefox in Mint the easy way

If you install Mint you know it comes with Firefox and the default search is set as Yahoo. If like me you like using Google you can easily change this. Firstly Head here
https://www.linuxmint.com/searchengines.php
This picture is just for illustration -

at the bottom of the page you see there a number of choices to make and all you do is click on the choice you want Screenshot%20from%202019-02-24%2013-23-18 click in the box where it says make this the current search engine and then on the add button and that is the job done. When you open firefox to search you will have your choice of engine. You do not have to do anything else.

3 Likes

Or

:sunglasses:

2 Likes

@anon56357095 This reminds me of a thread I could open. I’ll do it maybe later.

1 Like

Not in Mint it doesn’t give it which why this is specific to Mint

1 Like

This is specific to Mint and does not need another thread opening unless it is for another subject

1 Like

I was referring to duckduckgo, which I consider and general consensus of opinion in the Linux community, a less intrusive search engine, with better privacy, than Google.

Please note duckduckgo is amongst the default choice, although LM’s chosen default is Yahoo.

:sunglasses:

2 Likes

thanks for that @anon56357095 I should edit the post to changing to google - I will do now

3 Likes

Excuse me, but I can not see ANY valid reason to recommend Google’s search engine when there is StartPage which includes Google’s result in a nice interface with similar, and more, features (like a dark theme!). Just that it strips away all the “evil” privacy abusing features! It is safer than Duckduckgo as it is audited externally.

Too few people know about this, I try to counter that on every occasion :grin:

2 Likes

I am aware of it and have tried it a few times. It is a good alternative, but this thread was about changing to google, not about other search engines. Thanks however for mentioning it.

3 Likes

Thanks for this, I’ve been looking at how to do this, this is one of the reasons I don’t use mint, google is not available, so thanks, now I’m back in mint!

it’s good, but for me google is faster, it saves your searches for easy access later, and it syncs data on all your devices, I will use Startpage only when I want to search privately, I love google!