Cloning Mint 19.2

Under the hood it is basically all the same. Just the appearance and UI is different.

I have never experienced any such issues using DD. I guess everyone has their preferred method.

iā€™m glad you found something that worked for you. you could always try something new on a couple of usbā€™s for a small amount of data to copy to see how it goes and if you like it better or if it seems to work better.

Itā€™s not really something related to personal experience, I was just mentioning facts. You wonā€™t ever have trouble with DD if you have new and shiney hard drives, because they are a 100% healthy. Once you clone an older one (most of mine are 10 years or older Enterprise drives) there is a good chance there are some bad sectors on it, which plain dd wouldnā€™t tolerate by default.

Thought I would do a follow up on the Clonezilla clone I did the other day. I really am just now finishing up.

This is the drive I cloned from, I have deleted all data and will eventually reformat.

This drive is now running Linux Mint 19.3.
After the clone I booted the PC with a live gparted cd and moved and resized the partitions
to what you see.
The old drive was being used with W10 and the MBR had to be rewritten. So I ran
ā€œsudo grub-install /dev/sdaā€ and ā€œsudo grub-updateā€ to rewrite the MBR. At least I hope
I did that right.
I have cloned Windows quite a few times but this was my first clone of Linux and Clonezilla was not to difficult to use, just have to read and pay attention.
Thanks everyone for the advice, that is why I joined a Linux Forum. Daniel.

1 Like