Color manegement: Ubuntu 18.04 + KDE desktop on Ubuntu

Hi all. This question is about color management. First and foremost for Ubuntu 18.04LTS and for running the KDE desktop on Ubuntu.

I have been using DisplayCAL to make monitor profiles (on Ubuntu). My monitor is an Eizo CS240. However, in the color settings (Ubuntu 18.04) I see no change when applying the different profiles (profiles I have made and other test profiles). How can I test/verify profiles and make sure I got a good working one? Ive been duckduckgo’ing quite a bit to try figuring this out, also posting in various Ubuntu forums without any luck (I could not fint any posts regarding this here either).

So, I also installed the KDE desktop on Ubuntu (I opted for full: How to Install KDE Desktop Environment on Ubuntu), as I tought maybe there were ways in this desktop environment to better control color manegement. Here I cant find a way to set profiles (Ive beens searching through the color settings and the wallpaper settings). According to the ICC Profile info app the system seems to be using the correct profile (which is also the case for Ubuntu) but how can I check/verify this?

Anyone familiar with these issues and color manegemnt in Ubuntu/Kubuntu that can help out? Either with solutions to the questions above or other Linux ways to sort this out :slight_smile:

As this is a very special use case, I am not surprised you did not find any results. The problem is, you looked in the wrong places. This is not really an Ubuntu or Linux specific issue, but a graphic design related issue. You should post in a forum filled with graphic design experts. There will be probably some that will use Linux and a lot will use OS/X. They should know how to help you.

Here is an example of my results:

OK - I assumed it wouldn’t be a special case considering it is important for folks doing photography. Im not really familiar with any designer forums… I’ve been trying some more though, and if I swap between these profiles:

The blue profile has a visible effect. However, there is no difference between the other ones, and its strange that the swapped green and red profile has no effect (going from the blue profile to any of the others gives the same colors). The other two could be very similar… what does the lightbulp at the right of the profile mean though? I have to get this sorted.

Well, I know plenty of people doing photography as a hobby and they all use generic displays, uncalibrated and not adjusted. I think you have to take quite a deep dive and dedicate yourself to this hobby, if you are not already professionally involved with it. Especially, since such monitors and those calibrations are usually used among graphics designers and not so common among hobby photographers.
That said, the display is only important for digital photography. Most of the photographers I know focus on analogue photography. So there is already a huge chunk of photography that doesn’t need a display in the first place.

You should find a software like one of those mentioned in the provided links. Then you should read up on its manual and work on with that.

I have, and thats not really the issue. The issue is how Ubuntu handle those profiles and if it is applying them or not. Because it seems to me it isnt applying all… not even from colord… this means its no way for me to know if Ubuntu has applied the profile I need it to apply (in this case the screen calibrated profile).

Regardless of what kind of photography one is doing and at what level, these things should work and be possible to control.

Out of the 4 profiles available on my list only the profile I made with DisplayCAL does NOT have an error message when I open the profiles in ICC Profile info. For the 3 other profiles it says that v4 profiles are not supported. This is weird - the automatic profile is generated by the system upon startup if there is no system generated profile there. Why would the system generate a profile it doesn’t support? And The blue profile, also none supported v4 profile, has an effect… how is this possible if it isn’t supported?

I agree that this is related to graphic design and photography since those fields require that these things works as intended, but making sure they do… Isnt that more of a programming issue then a graphic design issue?

Correct. Contact someone who actually uses those programs. If someone here uses it, they will probably post something in this thread. I recommend going to a graphic design forum and ask people who actually use these calibration programs on Linux successfully. We couldn’t even test it properly, because we lack the necessary hardware for that.

The calibration program works just fine. I’m happy to test if you change your mind.

I don’t quite understand. So you solved your issue?

No, I give up. DisplayCAL makes the profile. So the software that makes the profiles works as it should. The issue is in ‘Settings’ - ‘Devices’ - ‘Color’. I cant see that Color actually applies the profiles I select. Im sorry if this wasn’t clear.

I know the screen shot is in Norwegian… but that is Settings - Devices - Color. ‘CS240 skjerm’ is the monitor. Under it the profiles are listed. Only the DisplayCAL profile (long name) does NOT have an error message when I open the profiles in ICC Profile info. For the 3 other profiles it says that v4 profiles are not supported. This is weird - the automatic profile is generated by the system upon startup if there is no system generated profile there. Why would the system generate a profile it doesn’t support? And The blue profile, also none supported v4 profile, has an effect… how is this possible if it isn’t supported? It is these things I don’t understand. If I start with the blue profile (which isnt supportet according to ICC Profile info) this has a bluish cast and change to either of the other ones its the same… also if I go from blue to swapped red and green the colors become normal (not bluish nor swapped red and green), and then go to the profil I calibrated the colors is the same… its impossible for me to know if Ubuntu has actually applied that profile. I don’t know if this is understandable or not.

Anyway, I get that resources are limited and priorities have to be made. However, if someone for some reason should want to do something about this Im happy to do the tests.

I think I understand better but to make it better understandable for everyone, maybe you could create a quick video that shows what you are talking about. This would make it much easier for people understand and it probably would be easier for everyone to help you.

Seems like I have to share it through a url somehow. Im not sure how much more helpful my video was though… doubt I’ll get any film directing job in the near future.

Did you record the screen?

Yep. With an iPad. The screencast doesnt show the switch between the one profile that has an effect and the others.

Thats probably not that strange though.

I think it would be clearer to record the screen directly.

https://itsfoss.com/best-linux-screen-recorders/

It is visible on the iPad, but not on the screencast made with the Ubuntu (which I suppose makes sense as the recording probably doesnt use the profile, but since the screen do you can see it on the iPad).

A follow up on this. As I mentioned in the first post I have also installed the KDE desktop to see if that made any difference. But under the color settings in KDE there is no way (as far as I can see) to manage color profiles. How is that done in KDE?

Also, for Ubuntu 19.04 and maybe particular for the new 20.04, is there made any changes/improvements on color manegement and its functionality?

KDE on Ubuntu seems to be a no-go, furtermore this is pretty interesting:

1 Like