Computer manufacturers and Linux

Is it being used as some kind of server???

Yes, it’s a server.

Kind of NAS, but without a factory-made firmware, so has the flexibility that only a custom installed Linux can provide.

1 Like

I suspect that’s a whole “Europe” or EU thing… i.e. you Hungarians are riding on the coattails of your French and German neighbours :smiley: - only kidding mate… But it is probably a “Europe” thing…

In many ways, Australia is more like Europe, but it still gets lumped on its own, or part of Oceania (e.g. with NZ and maybe PNG and some Pacific Islands), but also sometimes Asia, or APAC…

I have several ARM low power devices acting as servers - but my NAS, while somewhat “low power” is a HP N40L Microserver: AMD Turion II (dual core) - bought it new in late 2011 - still going… I should really invest in a spare powersupply I reckon (now running 256 GB SSH boot, 4 x 4 TB HDD, and 16 GB ECC RAM)
e.g.
an Orange Pi is my transmission-daemon server
a Pi3 is my TVHeadend server (watch free to air TV)
a Pi4 is my OpenVPN and SSH jumpbox (was PiHole, but using Brave has negated the need for adblocking)

1 Like

I don’t remember the exact storyline (back when I used to watch the news) it was a news story around the time of the great fibre optics mess up to install fibre optics nationwide (part two) and they mentioned that places such as Hungary did have a bigger consumer base for computers and also had a lot faster internet speed than poor old Australia.
The story was just a slap in the face to the higher ups unfortunately all the facts were correct.

2 Likes

Fibre optics is marvellous! I have it since 4 years or so. They appeared to start to buid it in the middle (or more populated areas) of bigger cities, and then slowly reach outer districts. We are fully covered with 4G, 5G is under construction.
But I like the fixed line connection better. Mainly because of stable speed, and because of the unlimited data traffic.

Maybe, I don’t know. But those laptops are equipped with hungarian keyboards, so they basically target only us, not the neighbours…
:wink:

I have just few devices, but I try to squeeze out all possible bit from any device I keep running :wink:

With my way of thinking I’d try to do this only with the Pi4. Would it be possible? Has the Pi4 the power to do all those jobs at once?

Just for comparison. We live in regional Australia. We have a fixed wireless link to a local tower, then fibre optics from there. Our sevice is unlimited, but rates are 56Mbps download and 9 Mbps upload… about 1/20th of your speeds. We have 4G and 5G is coming.
Before that we had a copper wire landline that did 4Mbps download when it worked.

Before that I had copper too, a VDSL connection. That was capable for 30Mbps downlad and 5Mbps upload. Ping was about 20…27ms
Having the optical fiber then made a huge difference!
I was as happy with it as a monkey with his tail :smiley:

How many are sharing bandwidth there? Is that your speed stable at least, or does it vary in time?

We do share bandwidth with maybe 30 -50 houses that are within range of the tower. It does vary with the load , and with the weather. Those rates are night which is busy time. It can do up to 80 Mbps when not busy. Like you, it was a huge lift from a copper landline.
It is reliable, which is a huge gain over a landline. Our old landline used to go out in floods. We dont use it at all now, we converted the phone to fixed wireless as well as the internet link. We have a mobile as a backup… some redundancy is a good idea.

1 Like

I suppose you also remember the 400 and 1200 Baud dial-up modems. The 400 Baud rate was so slow, you could read the text as it was show on the screen. Also here in the US, dial-up modems had a limit of 56 Kb per second.

By whom, T-Mobil? They screwed me big time in my area. Lies after lies, no service. Had to sue them to get them off my back.

Partially yes.
We have 3 providers working, one of them is indeed the magenta “T”.
Like it or not, they have here the most mature network, but others are in the game too.
Yettel (formerly Telenor, before that Pannon GSM), Vodafone (just acquired by 4IG company 51%, and the state 49%, so its name will probably change soon), and there are other providers which at the moment can’t offer full coverager over the country: DIGI, and Tesco Mobile.
I can’t talk about them, as I have no experience with them.
I beleive, DIGI and Tesco provide full coverage via roaming to T / Yettel / Vodafone network, so they borrow the infrastructure from the bigger players. But I’m not sure of that.

Damn them!!! :cold_face:
They stole my money and used it in Europe to build their damn business!!! :face_vomiting: :hot_face: :nauseated_face:

I’m almost ashamed to have the gigabyte download speed and pocket change mobile service that Comcast/Xfinity offers here.

Yes, Our first internet connection when we moved here in 1998 was a 9600 baud dialup modem, driven from FreeBSD, and later from Linux. We kept that till about 2010, then moved to adsl. adsl was a great advance… you could actually use the phone and the computer simultaneously.
I remember 1200 baud from work in the 1980’s. Some of us used a crt terminal with a 1200 baud modem from home. You could use vi on that, rather than a line editor.
Before that I remember using a teletype with a 300baud connection. That reguired a line editor.
There has been some progress in computer accesibility

My first piece of hardware to install in a PC was a dial-up phone card in our W98 Gateway, still have that thing up in the attic, to connect to our local bank that had a internet service. It would kick you off after about 5 minutes, was so glad when cable offered internet.

I’m stuck with copper - VDSL - and it’s garbage - and - there are ZERO plans to upgrade my suburb…

The previous government called this “mix” hybrid - I call it “mongrel bastard” - and the whole thing ended up costing as much as a full fibre rollout in the end, but the “hybrid” idea was ideology based, all to cowtow to a billionaire media tycoon’s wishes… anyway enough of that…

I’m paying for 50/20 (mbp/s) on VDSL - but - never EVER got more than 35 down… Thankfully my ISP has stopped spamming me with ads for 100 Mbit - 'cause their tech-heads have already told me I’ve got Buckley’s (that means “none”) hope of ever realising 100 mbit… and the “up” is even worse - rarely ever ever get of 8 megabit/s …

1 Like

I grab up my family members’ used computers when they upgrade and give them new life with Linux. My younger daughter was an Apple enthusiast, but her MB Air crapped out a month after the warranty expired and the fix (logic board, I believe) was $600 USD. After my own issues with Apple, I moved away from them a while back. They make good stuff, but they are cavalier when it comes to support in my experience. Anyway, I actually bought her a new Chromebook thinking I might write Ubuntu over Chrome OS, but she says she loves it for what she does (English major in college, so it’s mainly email, web browsing and paper writing; she finds Google docs works for her just fine).

1 Like

I take my hat off to anyone doing English major.

1 Like

I did that almost 60 years ago ( Univ of Pennsylvania, BA, 1969), but please put your hat back on. The glare is brutal.

1 Like

Runs in the family. Her mother, her father, grandmother and great grandmother all got the same degree.:thinking:

1 Like