Curious behaviour of web-stick

Hi all, :wave:

I use the web-stick Huawei E3372_LTE for establishing my internet conection. I´ve been using it for about 2 years now and normally it works reliably.
Something odd happened today though. :neutral_face:

In order to connect to the internet I use the web-interface provided by the stick. If everything goes well it looks like this:

Today however I was presented with an error:

“Kein Dienst. Für Ein-Klick-Check hier klicken”. All in German. I´ll try to translate:

“No service. Click for One-Click-Check”. :

O.K. I did that, but to no avail. Here´s the new message:

It says: “SIM-Lock-code: locked” and “Mobile Data: de-activated”… which seems pretty nonsensical to me as I didn´t change anything. :angry:

I finally got I working by selecting the option “Neustart” = restart" from the menu. :relieved:

This worked immediately and I got a good connection like in the first picture.

This phenomenon has happened before, but only once. It was months ago. Back then I rebooted my OS and after that it worked.

This time I didn´t want to reboot the computer, so I managed to fix it with the stick´s internal “restart” option via the web-interface.

Well, of course I´d like to know what was going on. :thinking:

The “no service” message seems to be the crucial one. It almost looks as if something (some service) didn´t start the normal way.
If so, why would that have been the case :question:

As I said, up till now this has happened twice. So it´s not something that occurs regularly. But still: it made me wonder what was amiss.

Does anyone of you have a clue?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Many greetings
Rosika :slightly_smiling_face:

That message seems to imply that their accounting has decided to lock you out.
For what reason, I could only guess, probably all nonsense or a software gliche.

1 Like

Hi Neville, :wave:

thanks for your reply. :heart:

Yes, it´s pretty nonsensical. As I said: It had happened before, but only once. And that was a few months ago…
Anyway, I think and hope I can rule out any SIM card related issues (like contacts).

The web-stick started working immediately after the restart without any physical manipulation of the SIM card (it didn´t even touch the web-stick) so I think it suggests that the issue may not have been related to the SIM card contacts.

I´ll keep an eye on it anyway.

Thanks a lot, Neville.

Cheers from Rosika :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Watch out on 31 August… the next supermoon

1 Like

Honestly, if you tried turning it off and on again, and that worked, I wouldn’t pay it much mind. Unless it starts happening more frequently. But I don’t think there’s been a device ever invented that doesn’t end up in a weird state that requires resetting, at least once every few months. The cliché is a cliché for a reason.

Oh, also, it may be worth checking if the device has updatable firmware, and if so whether there’s a newer version available. Sometimes these things are just firmware bugs that get fixed in later patch updates.

3 Likes

Hi again, :wave:

thanks to all for your latest comments. :heart:

@nevj:

Thanks Neville, good to know.I checked the definition on wikipedia:

A supermoon is a full moon or a new moon that nearly coincides with perigee—the closest that the Moon comes to the Earth in its elliptic orbit—resulting in a slightly larger-than-usual apparent size of the Moon as viewed from Earth.

Uh, I never would´ve thought this phenomenon might have an impact on copmputer accesories. What a strange world…

@FeRDNYC:

Thanks Frank, for providing your opinion on the matter.

That´s really good to know. :smiley:
It calms me down a little. :wink:

As for new firmware: I checked that. There´s a button for checking for new firmware in the web-interface. There´s no new firmware available.

Thanks again and many greetings from Rosika :slightly_smiling_face:

P.S.:

No problem today. It worked immediately and the web-stick didn´t present any weird behaviour.

1 Like

Not so strange. The gravitational pull of the moon is quite large. Enough to lift your house ( and the whole landmass) up and down about 11 inches every time it passes overhead.
At Perigee the effect is larger.
We all know the moon moves water and causes tides. It also moves the atmosphere and the landmass. It bulges tectonic plates and contributes to earthquakes.
So, it just might move some component in your computer…

1 Like

Thanks, Neville, for the explanation. :heart:

Although it´s hard for me to imagine such a scenario you may be right of course.
I certainly woulnd´t have thought of that possibility.

O.K., I need to mark August 31 in my calendar then.

I looked here and they even speak of the “Super Blue Moon”. :wink:

Seems interesting.

Thanks a lot and cheers from Rosika :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like